PDA

View Full Version : First AR15 build, seeking advice...

xdgregg
12-06-2009, 12:51 AM
I'm thinking about building an AR15 carbine in 5.45x39... one calgunner told me to start with a S&W lower... any other suggestions?

luckystrike
12-06-2009, 12:59 AM
I would give the 545 a 2nd thought. its really hard to find ammo other than magnetic(no range will let you shoot it) and even harder to find stuff thats not corrosive military surplus.
corrosive ammo in aks is ok, bit you can get to the gas tube to clean easier, but AR15 gastubes, well you can never really get then clean...

just my advise

xdgregg
12-06-2009, 1:04 AM
I would give the 545 a 2nd thought. its really hard to find ammo other than magnetic(no range will let you shoot it) and even harder to find stuff thats not corrosive military surplus.
corrosive ammo in aks is ok, bit you can get to the gas tube to clean easier, but AR15 gastubes, well you can never really get then clean...

just my advise

Thanks, I appreciate that. So you would stick to .223?

luckystrike
12-06-2009, 1:25 AM
Thanks, I appreciate that. So you would stick to .223?

yes .223 is the way to go, you will have no problem finding mags and other odds and ends. 95% of 223 is lead core, brass cased and use good primers that are not corrosive. its also ALOT easier to find.

another thing is most 545 is not only steel core, but also steel cased, wich AKS like because they are made with a very small ammount of room in the chamber (more so than ARs) to allow the steel to expand and eject properly when fired. ARs dont really like steel cases, they will want to expand when fired and not eject.

xdgregg
12-06-2009, 1:41 AM
Thanks again.

Of course I'm looking for the best bang for the buck... a couple of other brands of lowers were mentioned besides S&W... what are your thoughts on which one to start with?

O8SERVER
12-06-2009, 1:52 AM
Lowers, for the most part, are all mostly identical. Just pick the one with the rollmarks that you like.

It's the uppers that you really don't want to skimp on.

luckystrike
12-06-2009, 2:01 AM
no problem.

as for lowers, S&Ws are alright but if your building one from a stripped bare lower, it dosent really matter because most lowers you find are compatable with ar15 most any LPK (Lower Parts Kit).
personally I have a CMMG that was built with a DPMS brand LPK.
my friend has a Kieser Defense with a DPMS kit aswell. its like they are universal. the cool part about building your lower is selecting your preferred stock. a carbine configuration requires a carbine buffer and tube, A1-A4s need a A2 buffer and tube.

if you havent started yet, you can get a great deal from coldwar shooters in highland, $900-1000 after taxes and dros.