PDA

View Full Version : Help Please (ophcrack_sourceforge_net)

GenLee
12-05-2009, 10:18 PM
Help please guys. I found this installed on my laptop. I am running XP sp3 with Avast. What the hell is it and how do I get it gone? It was in a "password retrieval" file? WTF? All I know is as far as I am concerned I am the only user of this PC and I did not install it. Thanks in advance.

DiscoBayJoe
12-05-2009, 10:19 PM
Help please guys. I found this installed on my laptop. I am running XP sp3 with Avast. What the hell is it and how do I get it gone? It was in a "password retrieval" file? WTF? All I know is as far as I am concerned I am the only user of this PC and I did not install it. Thanks in advance.

Run Malwarebytes. Sounds like your machine has been compromised and someone's running a passsword cracker.

If that machine was mine, I'd format and start over. Once tattoo'd with bad malware, a machine is never the same!

NaughtyMonkey
12-05-2009, 10:39 PM
Run Malwarebytes. Sounds like your machine has been compromised and someone's running a passsword cracker.

If that machine was mine, I'd format and start over. Once tattoo'd with bad malware, a machine is never the same!

Agree on the format, or just runs alot of virus, adware/spyware/malware scans.

Spybot S&E is good, Same as A-squared.

I used to work at a PC repair shop.

bigmike82
12-05-2009, 10:41 PM
Ophcrack is a cool password cracker, available for free.

IF you did not install it intentionally, or as part of a security toolset, it was installed by something else. Possibly by malware, possibly by an actual dude who was in your computer.

Like DiscoBayJoe said, the best solution, from a security standpoint, is a clean wipe and reinstall. Back up your data (only data files...nothing that can execute), wipe the system, and then start from scratch. Your first actions should be to install your AV, ensure your firewall is turned on, then update your machine.

Then go from there.

NSR500
12-05-2009, 11:41 PM
I agree with everyone else here. The best course of action is a clean slate. Major PIA, so you may want to weigh your options with a possible move to Windows 7. I just moved over this week with one machine and the OS is good to go.

nick
12-06-2009, 12:16 AM
Did you or anyone else try to recover a lost Windows password on your machine?

JDay
12-06-2009, 8:57 PM
Its not malware, its a password cracker based on rainbow tables. Somebody who was using your system installed it. This is why you should enable the guest account and make anyone besides you who uses your system use it. That way they cannot make changes to the system.