PDA

View Full Version : Pre Ban question

Sirmikey22
12-05-2009, 9:13 PM
A few of my friends have Pre ban AR-15's. They purchased these rifles with no bullet buttons installed. Do these rifles have to be equipped with the bullet buttons to be Cal legal? I was under the impression that if a rifle is bought pre ban they do not need to be altered.

Thanks

69Mach1
12-05-2009, 9:19 PM
Start here.
http://www.calguns.net/caawid/flowchart.pdf

I was under the impression that if a rifle is bought pre ban they do not need to be altered.
Only if they were registered as Assault Weapons during the registration period, up to 2000.

Sirmikey22
12-05-2009, 9:26 PM
Does this mean if the rifle is a AR-15 Bushmaster it does not have to be change in any manner. My friend bought his rifle in 1998 and it is registered as a long rifle. There is no Flash supressor or collapsable stock. It is a heavy barrel.

Mssr. Eleganté
12-06-2009, 12:52 AM
My friend bought his rifle in 1998 and it is registered as a long rifle.

Regular long guns are not registered in California. When your friend bought the rifle back in 1998 it was not registered. He would have needed to send in a separate assault weapon registration form and payment later on after the California legislature declared his rifle to be an assault weapon. If he never mailed in that separate registration form then he is in possession of an illegal assault weapon.

TRICKSTER
12-06-2009, 1:08 AM
Also if it is an AW by name, adding a bullet button to it will not fix the problem. If he did not register it with the state as an assault weapon, it is still and always will be an illegal assault weapon, until if/when the law is changed.

Mssr. Eleganté
12-06-2009, 1:17 AM
...it is still and always will be an illegal assault weapon, until if/when the law is changed.

Or until the police chop it up after the trial. :p

Sirmikey22
12-06-2009, 12:05 PM
Mssr Elegante,

Are you implying that I am a gang member? Not sure what your trying to convey with your quote...

IrishPirate
12-06-2009, 12:14 PM
he's saying that if the owner gets caught with it not registered he'll be on felony trial for possession of an illegal AW. It's a clear cut case he'll lose, and the cops will destroy the rifle once the verdict is rendered. you got two options: hope no one finds the gun (which means you cant shoot it), or register it and hope they don't f*ck you for being a decade late.....don't expect them to be nice.

Welcome to Calguns by the way!

Mssr. Eleganté
12-06-2009, 12:30 PM
Mssr Elegante,

Are you implying that I am a gang member? Not sure what your trying to convey with your quote...

No, I wasn't implying anything about you. We were talking about your friends, remember? ;) Possession of an unregistered "assault weapon" in California is a crime. I believe if somebody owned the firearm before the ban and just didn't register it then the crime of possession can be charged as a misdemeanor or "civil nuisance" instead of a felony. But the gun will be forfeited and destroyed. Transporting an unregistered "assault weapon" in California is a separate crime and is a felony. Do not send in the assault weapon registration form 10 years late!!! It will not help at all.

Sirmikey22
12-06-2009, 2:33 PM
Alright then. I appreciate your feed back. I don't have all the details of my buddies AR. He has had it since he was young and wants to be in compliance in our "great state". It seems like to much trouble to even own one...unless your LEO yourself.

Thanks

IrishPirate
12-06-2009, 2:38 PM
yeah i don't know if my point was clear....do not send the registration in. they wont be kind at all. really the only thing to do is hope the DOJ or any LEO doesn't find out about it if it's put together. If it's dissassembled then your buddy could use it......as seperate paper weights

Sirmikey22
12-06-2009, 3:42 PM
What about the Ar Lower receivers being sold in public gun stores today? They have stripped lowers for cheap. All you do is buy the parts kit and install a buttstock. Its the exact same lower. No matter what name is on the side, it has the same function. As long as it is CA. compliant there should not be any question.

Mssr. Eleganté
12-06-2009, 4:06 PM
...Its the exact same lower. No matter what name is on the side, it has the same function. As long as it is CA. compliant there should not be any question.

True, as long as the name/model on the side isn't one of the "listed" AR lowers that are considered "assault weapons" in California.

Sirmikey22
12-06-2009, 4:21 PM
I love the fact we have people making laws and decisions about guns...who do not own guns themselves. Whats the differance between a Spike Tactical Lower and a Colt or Bushmaster Lower?? Nothing! Except some doofus in a suit saying so!

IrishPirate
12-06-2009, 4:24 PM
What about the Ar Lower receivers being sold in public gun stores today? They have stripped lowers for cheap. All you do is buy the parts kit and install a buttstock. Its the exact same lower. No matter what name is on the side, it has the same function. As long as it is CA. compliant there should not be any question.

that's the basis for our argument against the AW ban. They are just arbitrarily deciding what is safe and what is not. It's all total BS just made up to get themselves more campaign support and more money. they don't give a sh*t about you or I. Red party, Blue Party....their eyes are all Green

JaMail
12-06-2009, 4:50 PM
tell your buddy to buy a 99.00 calguns lower and migrate all the parts from his old one to the new receiver. throw on a bullet button and your good, or tell him to make it featureless and then he can use his preban mag's

kemasa
12-07-2009, 1:21 PM
Mssr Elegante,

Mssr Elegante is just confirming the quote and just being a child on the playground. Just ignore it.