PDA

View Full Version : Unknown little website...good AR15 barrels for fairly low prices...

OutlawDon
12-05-2009, 7:31 PM
Bought mine already, so I'll share and let the cat out of the bag if you haven't know about this store. ;)

http://www.shop.dezarms.com/category.sc?categoryId=10

Bug Splat
12-05-2009, 7:37 PM
wow those are some good prices. I'll be sure to pass this on.

OutlawDon
12-05-2009, 7:44 PM
wow those are some good prices. I'll be sure to pass this on.

For sure. Sherry's a pretty nice lady. Hope to get my barrel in a few days to complete my build.

pacrimguru
12-05-2009, 8:42 PM
i've bought from them before. great people!

dchang0
12-05-2009, 9:12 PM
Are the barrels any good?

NSR500
12-05-2009, 10:30 PM
LOL!

You guys found my stash!

They have good barrels for a daily use gun. They're not Noveske or anything like that, but still good.

bellygun
12-05-2009, 10:35 PM
hmmm, have to check it out

joelukehart
12-06-2009, 12:20 AM
Looks like some gunsmithing is needed to finish. Like drilling for taper pins (correct me if I'm wrong). But a perfect candidate for a clamp-on FSB. Nice price though.

Richie Caketown
12-06-2009, 2:09 AM
Those look pretty cool , but they dont have 1/7 twist available

CrazyJeep
12-06-2009, 7:14 AM
I'm just going to be devils advocate, but as with most things, you get what you pay for. I'm not going to start the 4140 vs. 4150 steel argument, but if a company is going to go a cheaper route, who knows what else they'll skimp on.

joe_sun
12-06-2009, 8:15 AM
I'm just going to be devils advocate, but as with most things, you get what you pay for. I'm not going to start the 4140 vs. 4150 steel argument, but if a company is going to go a cheaper route, who knows what else they'll skimp on.

I hear ya. You can get a BCM 4150 milspec barrel for $229.00 and you know it's done right. The barrel is one place where I'd willingly spend an extra c-note but I'm not saying this companies barrels aren't any good, I have no experience with them.

8200rpm
12-06-2009, 8:49 AM
These barrels are impaired by any one or more of these following issues:

1:9" - so you can't use heavier match ammo. FAIL
No chrome lining - so less durability and can't put it away wet and dirty. FAIL
HBAR - so it's a bench gun. FAIL
Carbine gas length - so it's potentially less reliable, more prone to gas port erosion, and if it runs well, it's jumpier than a midlength. FAIL

xjz
12-06-2009, 9:36 AM
Are you guys metalurgists? I'm not but I know what kind of stuff we build out of 4130 at work and the crazy strength it has so I'm sure their 4140 is still overkill. This place is perfect for a lot of folks who want a good shooting gun that will never be used for a 800 yd match and will get them something that they can afford in a more custom barrel than the dime a dozen mil spec profile same jane stuff everyone sells for a "reasonable" price. There are a lot of folks out there that don't have 3K disposable to drop down on 1 gun. My wife almost dropped a load when I told her my AR would have close to 1K in it when its finally done and she asked me if its going to be as good as 2 regular guns. Don't get too caught up in the interweb talk.:TFH:

Bug Splat
12-06-2009, 10:06 AM

Carbine gas length - so it's potentially less reliable, more prone to gas port erosion, and if it runs well, it's jumpier than a midlength. FAIL

*Since when are 69gr SMK not "Match ammo" They are one of the most accurate 223 bullets out there. I myself have shot a 1/4" group at 100 yards with my 1-9 twist 16" barrel. Did I fail?

*Some times chrome is not something you want. Want to screw up a match barrel really fast? line it with chrome. Some of us actually take care of our guns and clean them after every use. Not every rifle is intended for WW3.

*Hbar does not mean Bench gun and besides thats not all they sell. Did you not see the M4 barrels? Just because you can't left a HBAR does not mean others can't. I've done 3 gun matches with my Bull barrel just fine. There are other benefits to running a heavy barrel such as combating heat and harmonics. A lighter barrel does not mean better.

*What is wrong with a carbine gas length system? Are you saying the M4 rifles used by our military around the world are unreliable? How about the millions of rifles owned just in this country by Americans? I'd put money on the fact that the Carbine length is the most popular and best selling system in America.

It sounds to me like you only like 1 type of AR platform, which is fine, but don't go bashing other platforms just because you don't like them. Get you facts straight before you start bashing.

OutlawDon
12-06-2009, 11:49 AM
*Since when are 69gr SMK not "Match ammo" They are one of the most accurate 223 bullets out there. I myself have shot a 1/4" group at 100 yards with my 1-9 twist 16" barrel. Did I fail?

*Some times chrome is not something you want. Want to screw up a match barrel really fast? line it with chrome. Some of us actually take care of our guns and clean them after every use. Not every rifle is intended for WW3.

*Hbar does not mean Bench gun and besides thats not all they sell. Did you not see the M4 barrels? Just because you can't left a HBAR does not mean others can't. I've done 3 gun matches with my Bull barrel just fine. There are other benefits to running a heavy barrel such as combating heat and harmonics. A lighter barrel does not mean better.

*What is wrong with a carbine gas length system? Are you saying the M4 rifles used by our military around the world are unreliable? How about the millions of rifles owned just in this country by Americans? I'd put money on the fact that the Carbine length is the most popular and best selling system in America.

It sounds to me like you only like 1 type of AR platform, which is fine, but don't go bashing other platforms just because you don't like them. Get you facts straight before you start bashing.

+1!

No, these are not Noveske or high end match or duty barrels. It's ok. Good enough for a low budget build and those on a budget or don't want to spend too much dough.

Man, some of you guys are total snobs. I could easily spend $400 for a barrel if I wanted to but chose not to. Nothing is impaired or a "FAIL" with these. Just sharing some options to others.

No, the zombies won't know the difference whether I shoot them with my $130 1/9 non-chrome lined piece of crap no-name barrel vs your $500 hot and sexy Gucci-veske triple chrome lined 24K gold plated 1/7 midlength barrel. :rolleyes:

Always haters....always somewhere.

Out.

8200rpm
12-06-2009, 12:04 PM

1:8 is better for 77 SMK or 80 SMK. Long range shooters prefer the 77 and 80 grain pills.

They also sell "M4 profile" and pencil profile barrels that do not feature chrome-lining. Sort of defeats the purpose. Light profile barrels are typically used to mimic "fighting" guns. Durability should be a top priority. Even for recreational plinkers, chrome-lined barrels are desirable for their ease of maintenance.

If they're going to sell M4 barrels they should chrome line it. If they want to sell match heavy barrels it should be 1:8. They offer neither.

The carbine gas system is sub-optimal for 16" barrels. The military M4 uses a 14.5" barrel with the carbine gas system which has a more optimum dwell time than 16" barrels. This is a well known fact.

http://www.ar15barrels.com/prod/operation.shtml

Whether you want to build a long range precision rig, Camp Perry rifle, a durable SD gun, or beater truck gun, none of those barrels are really the best pick. If you just want an inexpensive barrel to shoot at 100 yards while sitting on a chair, go for it. I apologize if I hurt you in any way.

DREADNOUGHT78
12-06-2009, 12:11 PM
Thanks for the info Don we could use some affordable AR parts these days! I will definately buy a few barrels and this will finally force me to build the jig to build and attatched the FSB that I have been putting off because it was cheaper to just buy a assembled barrel!

missiontrails
12-06-2009, 12:19 PM
Man, some people are so focused on price, that they don't pay close attention to what they are getting. To me, this website looks like they sell inexpensive barrels for the correct price, nothing more, nothing less. You can buy YHM flutted barrels with 1/7 for that if you look around.

bwiese
12-06-2009, 12:31 PM

The first two I agree with.

Some people want an HBAR for less flexiness/whippiness than a GI profile.
And many folks are happy with carbine barrels, including Colt.

bwiese
12-06-2009, 12:37 PM

True but some of us like to shoot the heavies -75gr or 77gr.

I have a nice CMMG 18" SPR 1/8" twist bbl that I'm gonna give up because it's not as good as 1/7" for the heavies.
I'm looking to find a Colt HBAR 1/7" twist 20" bbl and cut it down for my next SPR project.

*Some times chrome is not something you want. Want to screw up a match barrel really fast? line it with chrome. Some of us actually take care of our guns and clean them after every use. Not every rifle is intended for WW3.Most people won't be able to tell the difference if not using match ammo.

Also, the chromed bbl will maintain is accuracy and not erode for much much longer than the unlined barrel.

And it's urban legend that chrome lining detracts from accuracy: it's actually the mfg rejection rate for tolerances that determines accuracy :)
Yes, the productions habits of most "accurate gun" mfgrs do not include chrome lining - but that's often because smaller mfgrs can't do chrome lining cost effectively

FN 308 bolt guns have chromed lined bbls and these are same-hole tack drivers. Many of the WSM and WSSM caliber bolt guns from Winchester (Browning) have chrome-lined barrels to stop premature bbl wear and these are known as accurate guns too. My AR10A2 with 168gr Fed GMM ammo shoots 3/4" MOA and I suspect lack of freefloating and bolt lockup play as much into accuracy as any issues w/chrome lining.

OutlawDon
12-06-2009, 12:39 PM
Man, some people are so focused on price, that they don't pay close attention to what they are getting. To me, this website looks like they sell inexpensive barrels for the correct price, nothing more, nothing less. You can buy YHM flutted barrels with 1/7 for that if you look around.

Exactly. These barrels are perfect for my low budget CQB/HD build. Nothing more, nothing less as you said. When I plan to build another precision build, then I'll go for something higher end. As for YHM barrels, a few here for fair prices... http://www.jsesurplus.com/search.aspx?find=yankee&log=false&category=5

gun toting monkeyboy
12-06-2009, 4:50 PM
I have to go with bug splat on this one. These ain't super high quality match barrels. Nor are they priced that way. But for a regular rifle barrel for general purpose, they would be a great way to build a low cost rifle. 1-9 is fine for anything under 70 grains but the military tracer ammo. And most people won't be shooting that in their rifles. I may grab one or two just to have some spares.

CrazyJeep
12-06-2009, 9:27 PM
I know these barrels are a good deal for what it's worth, but does anyone know anything about this company, what their QC is like and what their CS is like? I'd still would rather pay a few bucks to buy something from someone who has a reputation...whoever that may be. After doing a quick search, some have reported gad ports being undersized resulting in malfunctions. Caveat Emptor.

sreiter
12-07-2009, 6:56 PM
And it's urban legend that chrome lining detracts from accuracy: it's actually the mfg rejection rate for tolerances that determines accuracy :)
Yes, the productions habits of most "accurate gun" mfgrs do not include chrome lining - but that's often because smaller mfgrs can't do chrome lining cost effectively

i'm good friends with 3 of the 4 team orange gunsite shooters. All major sponsored shooters. All advised me against chrome lined AR's due to accuracy issues. i understand you're saying its the manufacturing process, Even if it is just the manufacturing process, but.....who makes a professional match grade barrel (1/4-1/2 moa) consistently thats chrome lined ?

8200rpm
12-07-2009, 7:18 PM
who makes a professional match grade barrel (1/4-1/2 moa) consistently thats chrome lined ?

http://img179.imageshack.us/img179/8966/avatar6522am0pf0.gif

sreiter
12-07-2009, 7:28 PM
sorry, i dont speak klingon...can you translate please.

joe_sun
12-07-2009, 8:26 PM
Daniel Defense has a 4150 milspec, chrome, 1-7 twist, barrel for $169.99

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=29320/Product/AR_15_M16_M4_BARREL

The $42.00 you would save with the no name brand SO isn't worth it.

cgsomoza
12-07-2009, 11:45 PM
AR rifle kits at JSEsurplus.com are running $500. Comes with everything except for the stripped lower...Your looking at around $650 rifle complete w/ chrome lined barrel. Good Luck!

pacrimguru
12-08-2009, 12:23 AM
being that probably 50% of AR owners have either never shot or never will shoot their rifles before they sell them, these barrels are perfect! and for the other 25% that will fire 500 or less rounds during their ownership of their AR, i really don't think the 1/9 twist or lack of chrome lining will bother them at all. if they even know what any of that means. :rolleyes:

like everything else you have to ask what you are going to use your rifle for. if its for showing off to friends and getting the standard "ooh you have a machine gun" reaction, then the cheaper the better. that rifle is never going to get any range time anyway. likewise, if you're not a precision shooter, a cheap barrel wouldn't be a bad thing either. to be honest, i shoot mostly tactical type drills so a cheap blaster barrel would do fine for me too. 1/9, non-chrome lined barrel to blast holes center mass on an IPSC sized paper target at 0-100 yards while using crap ammo should be fine for shooters like myself. but if you're looking for sub MOA, then you will want to opt for the good stuff.

CrazyJeep
12-08-2009, 5:51 AM
Daniel Defense has a 4150 milspec, chrome, 1-7 twist, cold hammer forged barrel for $169.99

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=29320/Product/AR_15_M16_M4_BARREL

The $42.00 you would save with the no name brand SO isn't worth it.

Those are not hammer forged.

missiontrails
12-08-2009, 6:18 AM
i'm good friends with 3 of the 4 team orange gunsite shooters. All major sponsored shooters. All advised me against chrome lined AR's due to accuracy issues. i understand you're saying its the manufacturing process, Even if it is just the manufacturing process, but.....who makes a professional match grade barrel (1/4-1/2 moa) consistently thats chrome lined ?

Do your friends think Noveske N4/Centurion barrels have accuracy issues? After all, they are "double" chrome-lined.

joe_sun
12-08-2009, 8:32 AM
Those are not hammer forged.

I'm pretty sure DD barrels are hammer forged since they make them all in house but you're right, this one doesn't say that in the description so they might be new old stock of the barrels they used to use. For an MPI tested 4150 milspec 1-7 twist chrome lined barrel it's still a hell of a deal.

CrazyJeep
12-08-2009, 8:38 AM
I'm pretty sure DD barrels are hammer forged since they make them all in house but you're right, this one doesn't say that in the description so they might be new old stock of the barrels they used to use. For an MPI tested 4150 milspec 1-7 twist chrome lined barrel it's still a hell of a deal.

It's a great deal for a great barrel. But DD makes 2 versions of that barrel, obviously one that is hammer forged and one that isn't.

SMGLee
12-08-2009, 10:28 AM

FN mfg makes their sniper rifle bbl out of M240 blanks and chrome line the sniper rifle bbl jhust as so.

with modern day technology of chrome lining, the accuracy effect are nil with chrome lining.

I shoot a Centurion Arms mid length mid weight profile barrel, hammer forged, chrome lined by FN.. this weapon with a Trijicon Tr24 scope will yield a 1/2MOA shooting Mk262Mod1

The FN A3G selected by FBI also run the same chrome lined bbl. the latest FN SCAR-H SSR, which are deisng to replace the Mk11 and M110 in the SOCOM inventory are shooting sub minute all day long with less wear to the rifling.

RECCE556
12-08-2009, 9:42 PM
NOT ALL CHROME LINING IS THE SAME FOLKS.

Variances in the plating WILL affect accuracy which is why chrome lined barrels are historically considered inaccurate. As SMGLee pointed out, modern technology has improved chrome lining but from my understanding, FN does it the best. Another thing that causes inaccuracy is the consistency of the rifling twist so the raw rifled blank is also very important (in addition to who finishes it...)

I've seen DEZ parts in person. They're typical inexpensive AR parts. In addition to the things other people have already stated, also know that their barrels are not HP/MP tested either (Colt barrels, for example, are individually HP/MP tested)...

With ammo prices as they are, I don't see why you wouldn't spend a few more dollars on a KNOWN quality barrel...but then again, I don't understand the "price is everything" mentality.:rolleyes:

sreiter
12-09-2009, 9:47 PM
FN mfg makes their sniper rifle bbl out of M240 blanks and chrome line the sniper rifle bbl jhust as so.

with modern day technology of chrome lining, the accuracy effect are nil with chrome lining.

I shoot a Centurion Arms mid length mid weight profile barrel, hammer forged, chrome lined by FN.. this weapon with a Trijicon Tr24 scope will yield a 1/2MOA shooting Mk262Mod1

The FN A3G selected by FBI also run the same chrome lined bbl. the latest FN SCAR-H SSR, which are deisng to replace the Mk11 and M110 in the SOCOM inventory are shooting sub minute all day long with less wear to the rifling.

thanks thats the info i was looking for...should have asked before i bought 2 SS barrels...clean would have been easier, but i didnt want to sacrifice accuracy

sreiter
12-09-2009, 9:58 PM
Do your friends think Noveske N4/Centurion barrels have accuracy issues? After all, they are "double" chrome-lined.

never asked. however, they've shoot almost there is to shoot, and their personal preferences are stainless. maybe because they came up old school. all i can say they're all very well know and respected shooters, so they gotta be doing something right.

let me ask you a question i honestly dont know the answer to. A top 3 gun competitors using noveske's ?

i know JP used to be the rifle of choice. which is SS. to many, thats kinda the bench mark.

Its the same argument glock vs. 1911. almost all the top competitors shoot 1911's. there agotta be a reason

coop44
12-10-2009, 6:05 AM
Jeez what a bunch of snobs,

Who shoot buck a round match ammo,

Who are not bright enough to realize their boutique barrels are based on blanks that any company can buy cheap. All they do is contour the outside, and cut them to length.

Willing to spend $1000 bucks extra to have a rifle that will only shoot marginally better.

show up here and belittle decent products, only because it make them feel less foolish for having been conned into spending sooo much money.

pacrimguru
12-10-2009, 7:23 AM
i'm with you on the most people don't need accurate expensive barrels thing, but i don't think expensive barrels are a waste of money either. aside from the name, i think a lot of the money that go into high end barrels are the other little things like rifling, MP testing, etc.

what everyone must learn is that everything has its place. i have WOA and Noveske Barrels on my more accurate shooters and i also have Model 1 and DPMS on my daily use blaster or never use display gun.

CrazyJeep
12-10-2009, 8:05 AM
Jeez what a bunch of snobs,

I don't think being a snob is the correct verbiage, I think it's more like being savvy. There are too many variable that I'm not going to risk getting bodily harmed by a no name barrel manufacturer. Again, I'm going to reiterate that for a few bucks more, I'd rather buy something from someone who has at least some data, knowledge, and expertise in the barrel making field to save their arse along with mine if anything were to happen. Maybe it's a saying my father has instilled into my head many many years ago, "It's all about quality, not quantity." You buy once and cry once. If one can't afford at least half way decent quality, then perhaps they shouldn't buy it.

Maybe some just have a problem saving, but being a full time student and working full time, I have no problem setting a few bucks aside each paycheck until I have enough to buy what I need. Guns is one thing I will not rush on, or go the cheap route.

RECCE556
12-10-2009, 11:12 AM
I don't think being a snob is the correct verbiage, I think it's more like being savvy. There are too many variable that I'm not going to risk getting bodily harmed by a no name barrel manufacturer. Again, I'm going to reiterate that for a few bucks more, I'd rather buy something from someone who has at least some data, knowledge, and expertise in the barrel making field to save their arse along with mine if anything were to happen. Maybe it's a saying my father has instilled into my head many many years ago, "It's all about quality, not quantity." You buy once and cry once. If one can't afford at least half way decent quality, then perhaps they shouldn't buy it.

Maybe some just have a problem saving, but being a full time student and working full time, I have no problem setting a few bucks aside each paycheck until I have enough to buy what I need. Guns is one thing I will not rush on, or go the cheap route.
+1

--------------

BTW, Coop, I shoot buck-a-round match ammo...and depending on the caliber, it could be $4/round ammo...and if you think some junk barrel shoots as well as Krieger barreled guns, you are living in a fantasy land....and quality blanks are NOT cheap....a good quality blank costs more than some finished bottom feeder barrels. You obviously have no idea what goes into building a quality barrel vs. a cheap 'blaster'. Barrel finisher also CHAMBER the barrel. Is the chamber on the cheap barrels concentric with the bore? Are you sure? How about that crown job? Is it a concentric or just "crowned"? Is the chamber actually cut for 5.56 or is it just marked 5.56 but cut for .223? Is the threading concentric or are you going to get a baffle strike (for those of us who DO have access to such items)? How about the blank itself? How consistent is the twist rate? How about the quality of the blank? Who are they getting their barrel steel from? If the barrel steel company is selling it for very cheap, what kind of quality steel are you getting? Are you sure there isn't a massive void or contamination somewhere in the steel? How about that gas port? Is it the right size?

You know, it never ceases to amaze me how people are willing to JUSTIFY cheap-a** junk as "just as good" and how much their willing to bash people who SAVE and spend their money on quality items...I guess it makes themselves feel better about their bottom feeder gear. :rolleyes:

Just to add, price does not automatically equal quality. Anyone who thinks that is also living in a fantasy land. If you guys want a good quality, properly made and inexpensive barrel, get the DD Non-CHF barrels. Those are great barrels for a good price (because they're blowing them out in favor of the CHF ones so get them while you can!)

CrazyJeep
12-10-2009, 11:22 AM
n/m

wash
12-10-2009, 11:47 AM
You know, some people have put together several AR's and when they upgrade this or change that they end up with a lot of spare parts. A cheap barrel might be the only thing between them and another complete AR.

Not everyone needs the best of everything and there is such a thing as good enough.

I bet some of you will break out in a rash when I tell you that I've got a Colt upper pinned on to a Vulcan lower. I shoot it that way too. It runs fine even with it's low-end DPMS LPK and A2 stock.

RECCE556
12-10-2009, 12:08 PM
Agreed, not everyone needs the best which is fine but people need to also realize that there IS a difference in quality. If you're willing to ignore the quality aspect of the item, then so be it but people shouldn't try to play up their low end gear as "just as good" because it's just flat out not.

I can get some sheet steel and a Dremel and make a monstrosity of a lower and lower parts that can "work" but it's not something I'd remotely stake my life on (unless I had a CNC machine :) ). Personally, I don't like dealing with warranties and sending stuff back to the companies and what not. I want to buy it once and have it work until it reaches its expected end-of-life. I treat all my gear WITHOUT kid gloves and I expect them to last. I went through the whole buying cheap gear phase (mainly because at the time, good info wasn't as widely available) and found that when put to task, they failed.

Consider this...if you had to rush out the door in a SHTF situation and you had a Colt 6940 and a DPMS Whatever (both configured the same), which would you grab? Also, I don't subscribe to "just a blaster" gun ideology...I mean what's the point? Not only is ammo expensive, why the heck wouldn't you shoot the snot out of your "good" gun? Most people don't shoot enough IN THEIR LIFETIME to "shoot out" a quality gun...so why not have one quality gun instead of a few junkers? What do the junkers offer that the quality gun doesn't?

wash
12-10-2009, 12:28 PM
I must have missed the part where everyone was saying "screw XYZ brand, these are just as good at 1/3 the price".

Some people can't help answering questions that were never asked. And some people assume that everyone is going to shoot 77 grain bullets out of their carbine, plinker or varmint gun.

Also, while my lower may not be fashionable, it works just fine and I can't see any lack of quality. I know Vulcan doesn't have a good track record but I got one that is "in spec." It's not going to fall apart or stop working out of embarasment.

RECCE556
12-10-2009, 1:14 PM
I must have missed the part where everyone was saying "screw XYZ brand, these are just as good at 1/3 the price".It's implied by some people...

Some people can't help answering questions that were never asked. And some people assume that everyone is going to shoot 77 grain bullets out of their carbine, plinker or varmint gun.It's all tied together. It's like talking about cars without talking about the engine, performance, etc. I don't shoot 77gr. bullets out of most of my guns. 55 and 62 gr. are what I shoot 90% of the time. So what's the issue exactly?

Also, while my lower may not be fashionable, it works just fine and I can't see any lack of quality. I know Vulcan doesn't have a good track record but I got one that is "in spec." It's not going to fall apart or stop working out of embarasment.Vulcan's well earned reputation isn't because of their lowers unless you're talking about their "carbon" (really, it's just plastic) lowers which do crack.

So I tell you what, since you think Vulcan makes great stuff I'll trade you an equivalently configured Vulcan upper for your Colt...how 'bout it?

CrazyJeep
12-10-2009, 1:54 PM
So I tell you what, since you think Vulcan makes great stuff I'll trade you an equivalently configured Vulcan upper for your Colt...how 'bout it?

And that just about sums it up. :D

xjz
12-10-2009, 2:15 PM
Some people can't help answering questions that were never asked.

Just like this one... Below.

And that just about sums it up. :D

Yep it does sum it up. No one ever said these barrels were "worth" the same as a $600 match barrel and Wash never said Vulcan was equivalent to Colt but some people try to put their words in anothers mouth.

wash
12-10-2009, 2:19 PM
My point is that some people will never need a 1-7" twist barrel or a 1-7" barrel might be wrong for them.

I'll keep my Colt but I'll keep my Vulcan too. I'm not saying I would buy another or all of them are good. Mine is good and not all are bad. That's Vulcan, how could a budget barrel without the poor reputation be instantly exclusively bad?

evollep3
12-10-2009, 2:25 PM
A little info for you guys the listed carrier uses Wilson blanks than are profiled in house to their own specs such as the crazy fluting and Etc. so they are quatlity are not anything below standards

LongRangeShootin
12-16-2009, 1:01 PM
man, i love to read these threads like this one. there are so many people out there that feel if your item doesnt have a big olde high dollar pricetag its worthless. fact is, not everyone shoots 20,000 rounds a year thru their AR rifle.most guys are lucky to afford to shoot 1000 rounds a year thru it.besides that, if you ask me, a person cant make an intelligent comment on an item he hasnt had in his hand and tested himself. 99% of the time you hear someone knocking a certain brand, and telling how terrible it is is just them repeating what they heard somewere else on the net and they have no actual experience with it whatsoever. i have el-cheapo barrels that shoot as well or better than the high $$$ barrels i own. hell, i bought a complete HB 16" upper from m&a parts awhile back, and it shoots outstanding.

as far as vulcans stuff goes, i own two vulcan lowers ( as well as other brands), and both of them are premo. never had an issue with them...OH, man, i know whats wrong with them!...the dont cost $300-$400 apiece!.....

if some of these guys actually SAW the ARs that are used by our troops in actual combat they would probably chit on the spot. alot of them are mismatched pieced together POS's, but they shoot, and shoot well. i have several relatives ( in the trenches and higher ranking) in iraq , and i talk to them on the phone from time to time. they laugh their assess off when they hear some of the stuff on here, and say " man they would cry if they saw some of the stuff we shoot over here"

dont knock it till ya try it.

CrazyJeep
12-16-2009, 1:08 PM
I would still take a "POS" Colt over a nice and pretty and "perfect" Vulcan any day. Some lowers may look pretty, but what's the point if they aren't in spec. What makes a "POS" Colt splendid is what they do to ensure their components are made to spec; if it's not a Colt M4, everything else are just clones...yes, even my LMT upper with a Kaiser lower.

wash
12-16-2009, 1:38 PM
My "perfect" Vulcan is in spec or close enough that it doesn't matter. Everything works, there are no signs of metal fatigue or cracking.

It works and will contine to work and I am sure it is better than some Colts because no company has perfect quality control.

Any way, for people who need a cheap barrel, there they are.

I've seen several Wilson barrelled AR's that shoot very well, if this guy isn't messing up the blanks they should be pretty decent.

LongRangeShootin
12-18-2009, 9:13 AM
ive got a friend whos bought 3 barrels from them (DEZ), and all of them shoot sub MOA.

dont get me wrong, i like nice guns as much as the next guy, but alot of guys dont look at this stuff realistically. sure, its nice to have a $4000 AR, but in the end, its still an AR, and 99% of the time, it wont shoot any better than one that some guy built that cost him $500. i have bought complete uppers from model 1 sales, M-A parts and other "el-cheapo" companies, and i have yet to get a bad setup. heck, i recently bought a 16" M4 style upper ( but i opred for the heavy .750 barrel myself) and that thing shoots better than some of my high$$ guns. the upper setup was a whopping $310 bucks. its sitting on a vulcan lower i spent like $100 on (out the door). ive only got like 500 bucks in the basic gun itself,not counting the extras like free float tube, red dot sight,forward grip,ect. when i bought my vulcan lower, i told my brother in law about it, and he said that alot of guys over there in iraq have complete vulcan rifles, and believe it or not they have one of the lowest instances of failure.

it cracks me up cause some guys think that building a $3000 AR rifles going to save them if SHTF. its not. if the bad guys were to drop in 20 miles from your home, what would happen? firstly, youd be packing your chit and hauling *** to get out and away. secondly, if they did come waltzing theu your neigborhood, you going to lean out the window and shoot at them with your $3000 rifle?.......i think not, if nothing else just because you may get 1 or 2 of them, but then what?...i tell you what. all of the sudden you have a couple of dozen combat trained and ready soldiers shooting back at you, and then THEY get a $3000 rifle you built for, you know, just in case SHTF. its nice to have stuff like that to play with but in a real world situation you want something mil-spec and reliable without all of the doodads and BS. 99% of your super accurate ARS aregenerally built out of match quality components. yes, that makes them naildrivers, BUT once they get a little dirt or carbon in them, you have a $3000+ club. i wonder how much the average standard mil-spec barrel that our GIs cost? do you think they give a rats rear if it costed $140 or $300? no, as long as it puts the lead down range i dont think they give a chit

another thing that absolutely cracks me up is these guys who hoard thousands of rounds of ammunition. what would someone need 100,000 rounds of 223 for?.....if SHTF and you had to EVAC, you aint gonna be packin 100,000 rounds of ammo with you, so what happens?.....you had to leave all that ammo behind for the enemy that you can bet has weapons that shoot the exact same ammo. i dont think anyones going to stick around to load that kind of ammunition. ive seen pictures on the forums of piles of ammo that some are so proud of, except they have so muc youd have to spend an hour loading it in a truck, or have a forklift.

then lets say nothing does happen, and a guys sitting there with all that ammo in his basement, garage, extra bedroom,ect. what happens if your negbor, one of your buds or someone emntions t the wrong person you have that much ammo?.....no, its not illegal, but id guarantee all of the sudden your either a terrorist or a fanatic, and if they dont come in and ramsack ya, you can guarantee youll have homeland security, the FBI and others up your rear watching ya. now, if you reload, reloading components are much easier to manage, and you went from a fanatic to a hobbiest and reloader. big difference.

all a person needs is a good running reliable ( which id choose reliable over expensive any day) AR or other good semi-auto rifle, and about 5K rounds of ammo, all put together and in a position that if S did HTF you could retrieve them and get your family down the road real quick.

like i said, expensive is nice, but if cheap will shoot the same as expensive, why spend all that money when you dont have to.

aplinker
12-18-2009, 10:11 AM
I would be shocked if any AR wasn't capable of 1.5MOA with match ammo.

I would be blown away if a non-chrome lined wasn't capable of sub-MOA.

I find it tough to justify $130 low-grade steel barrels that aren't chrome lined & slow twist when there are currently DD CL barrels for $150.

LongRangeShootin
12-18-2009, 6:23 PM
yea, but thats only a 20 dollar difference, some guys act like if they dont spend $300+ on a barrel that their AR wont shoot, or that their friends are gonna laugh at them...lol......

k1dude
12-18-2009, 7:19 PM
LongRangeShootin, I think most people are hoarding ammo are worried it will be outlawed/overtaxed/overregulated somehow in the future. I don't think many are hoarding for a SHTF scenario. I don't blame anyone for hoarding.

As long as the AR parts aren't junk that falls apart or endangers ones safety, I tend to agree with you.

technique
12-18-2009, 7:35 PM
I find it tough to justify $130 low-grade steel barrels that aren't chrome lined & slow twist when there are currently DD CL barrels for $150.

^^^This^^^

Sums it up pretty well.