PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about "podcasting"

jnojr
12-05-2009, 1:06 PM
My mom would like to be able to catch radio shows on her time, be able to pause, etc. I'm assuming that I could get her some kind of an MP3 player and that it could be set up to subscribe to certain RSS feeds to download the shows she wants? Maybe even work automagically... she plugs in the player, and when she comes back, it's got any new shows?

2DoorImpala
12-05-2009, 6:57 PM
ZUNE or an ITouch would do that. Subscribe to the podcast using ITunes or Zune software you want to listen to, just plus in your device software will pop up and download them from the internet then upload it to your device

Nxd9ar15xcrL
12-05-2009, 7:09 PM
I started with microsoft based players years ago, and had nothing but problems. i then switched to the Itouch, and then moved on to the Iphone. either way, I am a strong believer that the Ipod setup is the best way to go for simplicity and usefullness. I basicly only listento podcasts now, no commercials, and an hour show in real time is only 35 minutes.

rkt88edmo
12-05-2009, 8:15 PM
Make sure to sign mom up for smodcast and Dawn&Drew

2DoorImpala
12-05-2009, 8:28 PM
I own both a 30gb zine and a 32gb touch and I have no problems with them with podcast. Only reason why I got an Itouch was due to my stereo only ready iPods not zunes.

Mssr. Eleganté
12-06-2009, 1:58 PM
You can also listen to podcasts without a separate MP3 player if you just want to listen to them on your computer. My girlfriend just sets her laptop computer next to the sewing machine and listens to podcasts off of that through iTunes. She does have an ipod, but doesn't like using headphones while she is working. Just a suggestion, since you said this would be for your mom and my mom can barely figure out how to operate a computer. Adding an MP3 device into the mix would push her over the edge. :p

JDay
12-06-2009, 7:58 PM
I started with microsoft based players years ago, and had nothing but problems. i then switched to the Itouch, and then moved on to the Iphone. either way, I am a strong believer that the Ipod setup is the best way to go for simplicity and usefullness. I basicly only listento podcasts now, no commercials, and an hour show in real time is only 35 minutes.

Have you seen the Zune HD? Its actually pretty badass.

<object width="853" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/tMH1ax5OEZc&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tMH1ax5OEZc&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="853" height="505"></embed></object>

jnojr
12-09-2009, 5:35 PM
Just a suggestion, since you said this would be for your mom and my mom can barely figure out how to operate a computer. Adding an MP3 device into the mix would push her over the edge. :p

She wants to be able to carry it around with her.

This is why I want something that I can set up to subscribe to A, B, and C and every time she plugs in the player, it'll automagically download any new shows since the last time it was connected.

jnojr
12-09-2009, 5:39 PM
Have you seen the Zune HD? Its actually pretty badass.

Something "badass" will just result in problems.

I want to see if i can find something simple and inexpensive.