PDA

View Full Version : Which Rail System for a Stag 2H?

Slotcar
12-05-2009, 12:29 PM
I am trying to decide on a rail system for my new purchase. I am new to this world and there is a TON to learn. I am looking to replace the stock hand gaurds with a "rail" type system. There seems to be a bunch of them and some say "drop in" and some say "armorer install". What is the most common (and hopefully affordable) way to add this feature to my Stag 2H upper?

BTW - This site is AWESOME!!!

be1498
12-05-2009, 12:43 PM
What would you consider "affordable?" There are quite a few offerings out there, and most have a very loyal following.

I went for the Daniel Defense Omega 9.0 rail for my BCM middy. Install was quick and painless, but the price was a little high at $275. It is, however, a quality product from a reputable company.

run8
12-05-2009, 12:45 PM
I added a Troy 7" carbine drop in to my Stag, it's as simple as they say, just four screws after you drop it in and that's it.

http://www.railsaroundthebay.net/firearms/IMG_1524.jpg

http://www.railsaroundthebay.net/firearms/IMG_1523.jpg

Slotcar
12-05-2009, 12:55 PM
I really like the Troy "look". How functional it? I see a bunch of these with no attachments. How will they keep optics on line? I was also wondering if there is any input on the Knights?

THT
12-05-2009, 12:59 PM
Both KAC and Troy make excellent rails. As previously mentioned, Daniel Defense is a top manufacturer of rails as well. Midwest Industries makes good rails as well as YHM and both are much less expensive.

Slotcar
12-05-2009, 1:05 PM
I have sorta realized that Knights, Troy, Daniel Defense and even Midwest all are kinda the front runners. I guess what I am looking for is which of these is "the" fit for a Stag 2H? It seems to be narrowed down to the "drop ins"...I assume. But which, IF ANY, will (or should) have optics attached? Or is this just a really cool looking feature that should only support lights and blinkers?

THT
12-05-2009, 1:16 PM
All carbine-length rail systems will fit your 2H.

Optics are typically mounted to the upper receiver, not the rail. The drop-ins are the easiest to install however most are not free-float.

Slotcar
12-05-2009, 1:52 PM
So barring the obvious, what does the term free float mean and why is that important to the selection of a rail system?

run8
12-05-2009, 1:58 PM
I've used Midwest for quite a while now on all my AR's, I like them alot, however I like this Troy because its narrower and has a better feel. I'm going to take it with me on a trip next week, so I'll see how well it holds up compared to the Midwest.

Free float means the rail makes no contact with the barrel, and is supported by the barrel nut, which is an intergral part of the free float system.

I'll leave the others to get into more detail.

Slotcar
12-05-2009, 2:58 PM
OK. So, how about a couple of model numbers so I can do further research? BTW, I really appreciate the schooling. You all are very cool for helping out the new guy.

Q
12-05-2009, 3:00 PM
contact paladin on here. I just bought a new kac ras set with panels and grip from him. $155.

here...
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=244028

OutlawDon
12-05-2009, 3:08 PM
$99....done. Get this. Don't worry too much about the free float vs non-free float debate on a M4 style AR with a front sight post and other parts touching the barrel already. Difference in accuracy will be minimal. When you DO get into a precision build with stainless or a precision barrels, a low pro gas block, and match ammo, then I would definitely get a free float rail.

http://weaponparts.storesecured.com/items/ar15-accessories/troy-industries/rail-7-mrf-di-mrf-c-di-bk-detail.htm

gn3hz3ku1*
12-05-2009, 7:37 PM
UTG if you don't ever need optics or your life to depend on it..

bombadillo
12-06-2009, 4:07 PM
Here's a link for you. Some great prices. I really enjoy the 2 piece MI handguards for the price. Rock solid and would have no problem mounting a laser/flashlight/VFG to it. I wouldn't mount any optics unless its connected to a riser thats attached to your upper receiver.

bombadillo
12-06-2009, 4:08 PM
Oh, and the troy has penny shipping and they're only $139 right now.

Forgot the link in the last post: http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/AR_Handguards.html

missiontrails
12-06-2009, 4:38 PM
If you are good with a Dremel tool, you can carefully remove your delta ring assembly in about 15 minutes. Then, you can use a Samson, ERGO Z-Float, GG&G Modular, or Troy rail that clamps to the standard barrel nut. I have the ERGO Z-Float rail on the way to install to one of my 14.5" carbines, and I will post pics tomorrow after it arrives. I like the Ergo because it has a narrow profile, just like the DD omegas. Drop-ins are not going to give you a 100% rock-solid lock-up, but some come close.

veeklog
12-06-2009, 4:45 PM
I am partial to Larue rails myself.

run8
12-06-2009, 4:47 PM
I hadn't thought about using a dremel to cut off the delta ring, leave it to the folks here in Calguns to come up with good ideas, as they say you learn something new everyday.

If you are good with a Dremel tool, you can carefully remove your delta ring assembly in about 15 minutes. Then, you can use a Samson, ERGO Z-Float, GG&G Modular, or Troy rail that clamps to the standard barrel nut. I have the ERGO Z-Float rail on the way to install to one of my 14.5" carbines, and I will post pics tomorrow after it arrives. I like the Ergo because it has a narrow profile, just like the DD omegas. Drop-ins are not going to give you a 100% rock-solid lock-up, but some come close.

Purple K
12-06-2009, 5:42 PM
I'm using a Yankee Hill Machine 7" on my Stag. It's been great!

Slotcar
12-06-2009, 6:02 PM
MissionTrails - It would be AWESOME to see the final product! This is a great learning experience and you all are very cool for contributing. I am sure there are many more like me just trying how to wade through all the "after market" stuff out there and build a worthy weapon. Let me know if there are other successes for the STAG 2H.