PDA

View Full Version : AR Pistol 7.5" barrel with Carbine length handguard question

CFV
12-05-2009, 1:19 AM
So would a Magpul Moe handguard work on a 7.5" barrel with a KX3. How about a two piece drop in rail, would that somehow be able to work. Or does it have to be a true free float system. AR pistol owners/builders, please chime in. Sorry for the noob questions, but this AR pistol will be my first AR build.

glock_this
12-05-2009, 7:27 AM
though I do not have that setup, I would think the Moe would work as it is carbine length - assuming you are not using a FF system - and so the KX3 would stick out beyond the Moe and handguard cap. anyone else?

a free float system would be the way to go IMHO as it does allow more future options of nice FF hand guards that are open ended like the Troy TRX system and you could also do a 9" free float on a 7.5" pistol and cover some of the KX3 - which I like the look of. Also, FF rail is more accurate they say, which may be less of an issue on a pistol setup. Also, then you would have more front BUIS sight options. but FF is not the only way of course. but personally, as I am in the build process right now on a pistol, I would only do free float, which would mean no MOE.

UPDATE: pacrimguru did the math I should have done and clearly shows not enough room on a 7.5 for all you need to make a Moe work.

till44
12-05-2009, 8:00 AM
The MOE handguard will not work if your runnning a lo-pro gas block, the MOE is not free float and needs a handguard cap to hold it in place. I have a 7.5 inch upper with free floated YHM carbine rails. The rails extend to nearly the end of the barrel. Spend the extra money and get a free float system. I agree with Glock_this that a free float rail slightly set over the KX3 looks good. Here's a pic.

pacrimguru
12-05-2009, 8:03 AM
that would not work at all. the MOE and any 2 pc. carbine HG (hand guard) would need a FSB (front sight base) to help mount itself to the barrel. a carbine length HG is 7" and the FSB is another 2". that's a minimum of 9" of barrel real estate that you need so you've already run out of room on a 7.5" barrel. don't forget the barrel sinks into the receiver a little bit too, so you're actually looking at about 7" of available space so you're already way out of room. you either need to run a pistol length HG or go for a FF or go with a longer barrel.

pacrimguru
12-05-2009, 8:07 AM
...but this AR pistol will be my first AR build.

btw, i just caught this. i highly suggest going with a regular AR build for your first AR, not a pistol build. while pistols are fun and all, they just aren't great shooters. if you really want to enjoy your AR, build a carbine at least. there is much more you can do with it than stare at it.

glock_this
12-05-2009, 8:08 AM
I clarified my first post a bit as I was a bit ambiguous and also missed the "first build" comment. from the way it reads, it seems he has nothing yet, but asks about the Moe which is just drop in guards and also about FF. so looks like he might be in the process of picking parts. if that is the case, as we both said, if you want to go FF - which I would/will/did - no Moe for you.

glock_this
12-05-2009, 8:14 AM
The MOE handguard will not work if your runnning a lo-pro gas block, the MOE is not free float and needs a handguard cap to hold it in place. I have a 7.5 inch upper with free floated YHM carbine rails. The rails extend to nearly the end of the barrel. Spend the extra money and get a free float system. I agree with Glock_this that a free float rail slightly set over the KX3 looks good. Here's a pic.

hey, what brand FF rail is that? I was looking at the Troy TRX Extreme Battle Rail, but like that also.. details? I assume 9"?

pacrimguru
12-05-2009, 8:20 AM
looks like a YHM Light Weight.

glock_this
12-05-2009, 8:29 AM
I bet your right, thanks...

YHM Light Weight Mid-Length (Overall length: 9.2 in -Weight 12.4 oz. ) (YHM-9634)

big YHM fan, but really like that Troy rail also (you can place your own 3 rails).. I have a never used perfect DD Lite 7.0 and plan to try want to try the Troy I mentioned as I want to extend past part of the KX3, but the YHM could be an option...

till44
12-05-2009, 8:36 AM
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/YHM-Lightweight-Tactical-Free-Float-Carbine-p/yhm-9631%20ff%20carbine.htm

Here's a link to BCM, (YHM lighweight carbine forend)they have it in stock. I'll second and third Pac and Glock, I'd build a full rifle if this is your first build. I love shooting my pistols but my midlength is my favorite. And when you do get around to a pistol build I'd recommend a longer barrel than the 7.5. The 7.5 is fun but I prefer my 10.5 more. Better accuracy, easier to shoot, and more reliable.

The Director
12-05-2009, 10:13 AM
while pistols are fun and all, they just aren't great shooters.

Can you elaborate on this? I have several ARs and am lusting after a pistol but have never shot one. What re the downsides?

Realistically, are they the same as SBRs (I suppose it's a nomenclature / ridiculous law thing)...

bluestaterebel
12-05-2009, 10:44 AM
Sounds like the OP has already decided to build a 7.5 inch AR Pistol. I dont think he was asking if he should build a pistol or carbine, or what length barrel. He's a grown *** man, he can build an 7.5 inch AR pistol for a first build if he wants to.

pacrimguru
12-05-2009, 11:13 AM
Can you elaborate on this? I have several ARs and am lusting after a pistol but have never shot one. What re the downsides?

Realistically, are they the same as SBRs (I suppose it's a nomenclature / ridiculous law thing)...

no buttstock, no cheek weld. there's no really good way to hold it. you can sling it and do an mp5 stance or go with the tube in your shoulder, but all in all its just plain awkward. i have one and i love mine, but it wouldn't be my first choice to go shoot. it's more a conversation piece than anything. i think most people have one because SBR's are illegal in this state. if you could get a stamp for one, i think we'd see way more SBR's instead of pistols.

pacrimguru
12-05-2009, 11:19 AM
Sounds like the OP has already decided to build a 7.5 inch AR Pistol. I dont think he was asking if he should build a pistol or carbine, or what length barrel. He's a grown *** man, he can build an 7.5 inch AR pistol for a first build if he wants to.

:confused: ...and there's nothing wrong with sharing personal experience with someone who admittedly says is their first ever build either. he does say it is his first AR build, that he is a noob, and clearly has no idea how to set up a 7.5" barrel. we're just helping him out. i don't know about you, but i'd want others with more experience than myself to chime in on something i have little or no knowledge of. yes, he is a grown man and he can take our advice or not.

a good point of a forum like calguns is for people to share helpful information and experiences with others. i don't know why you would want us not to do that.

bluestaterebel
12-05-2009, 11:40 AM
Yes, he says he's a noob. BUT, it is clear he has decided on a 7.5 inch AR pistol. The only thing he wants advice on is handguards. Most of the advice given was on his question, then it started to shift to advising him against an AR pistol. Kinda like when you walk into a car dealer lot with something specific and the dealer starts to push some other car.

glock_this
12-05-2009, 11:44 AM
this is the natural nature of conversations.. they take twists, tangents and turns.. and your just as guilty as us now :laugh:

the OP is an adult and can always reign it back in if HE, as the OP, is concerned. But clearly, he will get his answers.. and then some

Josh3239
12-05-2009, 1:10 PM
The OP does realize he just can't buy an AR receiver and call it a pistol right?

glock_this
12-05-2009, 2:25 PM
oh... I am sure that comes next. of which the OP can see some recent - this very week - GREAT threads on the AR pistol topic which covers all the legal do's and don'ts

CFV
12-05-2009, 5:40 PM
Thanks for all the info. Calguns is wealth of knowledge and I keep learning more and more everyday.

I actually have three consecutive serial stripped olls and one stripped pistol lower that needs to be built up. Aquiring what I need to complete a carbine and the pistol. Still debating if I should build uppers from scratch or get complete uppers and just swap out hand guards and flash suppressors to fit the bill. Either way, thanks everyone for your input.

CFV
12-05-2009, 5:56 PM
oh yea... gonna go with the YHM ff midlength quad rail with 7.5" and KX3 and Magpul Mbus sights. Probably go with YHM ff rifle length quad rail on the carbine.

pacrimguru
12-05-2009, 8:47 PM
cool, have fun with your builds!