PDA

View Full Version : Anybody know anything about CAV-15 Receivers?

gun toting monkeyboy
12-04-2009, 10:25 PM
Brownell's has these CAV-15 Receivers that are a lower and buttstock assembly all molded out of polymer. They look like they might be interesting for building a lightweight carbine What have you guys heard about them? Are they worth the $100 price? Or not? I was thinking of building a light carbine with this, an A1 style lightweight carbine barrel, and a light weight handguard. Any comments from the peanut gallery? I couldn't find anything in Search.

-Mb

ke6guj
12-04-2009, 10:33 PM
Those are Cavalry Arms receivers. I haven't heard anything bad about them. They have a dealer forum at AR15.com that you may want to take a look at, http://www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=2&f=61 . I dunno if Brownell's will ship to a CA FFL, might neede to run it through a middleman.

pacrimguru
12-04-2009, 11:05 PM
What have you guys heard about them?...Any comments from the peanut gallery?

how about... they are ugly. :rolleyes:

tenbrook
12-05-2009, 5:52 AM
I ordered one and its at my FFL right now. Looks cool enough for $100. I am going to use it on my Beowulf hunting rifle to shave a little weight.

pacrimguru
12-05-2009, 8:17 AM
Also if you think they're ugly, check the cav arms ads by Oleg Volk: http://www.cavalryarms.com/galleries/oleg/oleg-1.html Oleg makes 'em look appealing.

ok, i'm not going to lie. the images in that link are truly bizarre, hahaha.

VegasND
12-05-2009, 8:49 AM
ok, i'm not going to lie. the images in that link are truly bizarre, hahaha.
I clicked on the link and didn't see anything bizarre. It's always amazing how 2 people can look at the same thing and have very different impressions.

Okay--I'm gonna ask:
Where are you seeing $100? I see $149, and for $100, I'm buying one today as I've been wanting to build a light carbine using one for some time.

missiontrails
12-05-2009, 8:50 AM
May I ask why a Tupperware receiver interests you?

VegasND
12-05-2009, 8:59 AM
May I ask why a Tupperware receiver interests you?
I don't know about the OP, but they make a lighter weight lower for an AR and I have a use for a very light carbine.

jkast003
12-05-2009, 9:05 AM
My 13 yr old boy and 7yr old girl were looking over my shoulder as I was viewing those ads. They both said they wanted one. Maybe I'll order one and see how it goes.

joelogic
12-05-2009, 9:17 AM
Its good FFL's are transferring these now. About a year and half ago no one really wanted to touch one because of the pistol grip and no mag lock. But they ship just like stripped lowers, no LPK. I wanted one so maybe its time to get one.

Brownells C&R discount they are $115 for od and tan, $120 for black.

OliveDrab
12-05-2009, 11:21 AM
AR-15s are so popular partly because they are so interchangabe. IMO this defeats that purpose. you cant change anything on the lower at all. personally id rather spend an extra couple hundred and get a normal lower.

-Rich

tomd1584
12-05-2009, 11:25 AM
they're ugly, but for $100 and getting a stock, pistol grip and receiver thats not too bad....I havent really heard any bad thing about them.

http://www.cavalryarms.com/galleries/oleg/016.jpg

pacrimguru
12-05-2009, 11:28 AM
I clicked on the link and didn't see anything bizarre. It's always amazing how 2 people can look at the same thing and have very different impressions.

this image isn't the least bit strange to you?... this guy really likes kids and guns.

http://www.cavalryarms.com/galleries/oleg/025.jpg

that's right apparently, gun control makes only predators ...and "photographers" safe. ;)

gun toting monkeyboy
12-05-2009, 12:24 PM
If you guys spend the $30 and get your C&R FFL, Brownells will send you their secret decoder ring and give you dealer prices. And when you use that, they are $100. If you don't want to take the time to get your FFL, you get stuck paying goy retail. I have saved probably close to $1000 over the past year or two on stuff from Midway, Grafs, Numrich and Brownells. It was well worth the $30 every 3 years. And I get to order C&R rifles through the mail. So when I quote prices on here, I use what price they give me. If you want that price, you now know how to get it.

-Mb

p.s. As for tupperware, the girls are little. Any savings in weight gets them that much closer to being able to use a rifle by themselves.

VegasND
12-05-2009, 4:03 PM
this image isn't the least bit strange to you?... this guy really likes kids and guns.

http://www.cavalryarms.com/galleries/oleg/025.jpg

that's right apparently, gun control makes only predators ...and "photographers" safe. ;)
I teach Junior High math and science. I like kids, don't think they're creepy and wish more parents would take them shooting and teach responsible gun ownership. No, I don't think the picture of the girl is 'creepy' either, and I don't think adults who enjoy working with or having children around are necessarily predators.

I do think the bayonet is a bit bizarre. But, just like I'd give someone a pink rifle if it would bring them to give our side a chance--I'd let a kid have a goofy extra-big bayonet if it would make them enjoy the experience.