View Full Version : How much play in ak front sight windage adjustment

12-04-2009, 10:19 PM
So in the past (old thread (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?p=2009093&highlight=yugo#post2009093)) I still had canted sights on my Yugo even after I sent it back. It "seems" less canted but I cannot tell for sure. I bought the front sight tool to adjust it - windage and elevation. I cannot use the windage adjustment as the darn (drum?) is tight. So I tried using my C clamp, and 2 different sized sockets - a small one that can push and a larger one where the drum will slide thru. I get some movement. But I'm not sure how much play I have?

In the old thread above, the OP has the drum sticking out much more than mine though. Do I have more play than this? I'm shooting about 1ft (at least) left at 25 yds. :(

Not planning to put optics on it. Couldn't find info on play on it here (or online).

[edit] does that thing gets lubed so it's easier to move? or not because you don't want it drifting either. i could break the pin on the tool, i think. it's that tight. :(

12-04-2009, 10:31 PM
The drums will continue to move left or right, until the front sight post hits one side of the sight ears. I had a problem with a canted rear sight, but had a straight front sight. I couldn't get it to shoot POA, POI even with the drum completely moved as far as it would go. I just bought an RPK windage adj. rear sight and pop it on. Problem solved.

12-04-2009, 10:35 PM
Kewl Thanks 69mach1 (saw a pic in the ak pic gallery of your AK.. 'tis sweet!!!). I'll have to bring these little sockets with me on the next range outing then. just very frustrating having to hold over each time i bring it out.

i was trying to save for the doctor/ak larue combo but they discontinued it. oh well...

p.s. is it hard to punch out the pin and straighten this darn thing? or are the pins not re-usable? I'm wondering what tool I can use to align it. I do have a laser boresighter but that would still be kinda eyeing it.

12-04-2009, 11:14 PM
Run a long string and mount the rifle in a vise or something. I made a reciever block out of an old mag. Then ran a string accross my work bench out to the side yard and set up my sights that way. You'll be good L-R and you'll need elv adjustment. It doesn't even need to be perfectly inline with the center linre of the gun. As long as the gun and line don't move you can measure it. My set up works great and I don't need any laser to get my sights lined up.
A couple line levels and you can get your elevation too.