PDA

View Full Version : Having trouble sighting in my scope...(crude pic lol)

SVPRApps
12-04-2009, 2:48 PM
Amazing paint picture here but here's the problem

here's my rifle. i dialed in my elevation as low as possible already but from 20 ft of shooting, the bullet goes about 10 inches down from the cross hair.... the left/right is doing fine. is there a way i can just raise the back of the scope mount ? it's a two piece but fits so snug that it wont move. do they have stuff on sale that can elevate the whole scope itself instead of utilizing the dials

the scope mount is the right specification, its not like i put extra high rings on it. its 4x32mm. so it's hugging the rifle...but i probably just need to slightly elevate the rear mount and its hitting on target.

http://i46.tinypic.com/2m3lbps.jpg
http://i46.tinypic.com/13ygjm1.jpg

kf6tac
12-04-2009, 2:54 PM
Very, very stupid question: Since you're trying to raise the point of impact, when you're dialing the elevation, are you turning it in the direction that is marked "up" on the knob?

I only ask because I've sometimes looked at an elevation adjustment knob and thought, "Does this mean it's raising the point of impact, or the point of aim?"

Arteel
12-04-2009, 2:58 PM
Wait, do you mean you dialed the elevation as high as possible and it's still shooting low?

SVPRApps
12-04-2009, 3:01 PM
Very, very stupid question: Since you're trying to raise the point of impact, when you're dialing the elevation, are you turning it in the direction that is marked "up" on the knob?

I only ask because I've sometimes looked at an elevation adjustment knob and thought, "Does this mean it's raising the point of impact, or the point of aim?"

Nope. Since the point of impact is low...I'm dialing it down.

Hit too high, go high, too much left, dial left.

My groupings is very good so i know it's just the angle is a bit off on the scope. im guessing i'll need to raise the rear scope mounting rings

mif_slim
12-04-2009, 3:02 PM
If your trying to zero in at 20ft, you can run out of elevation adjustments. But then again, My brother in law had a Leo VX-III and he ran out of adjustments hitting 2 feet low at 50 yards. Sometimes the scope is just faulty. Try another scope and see if it has the same issue. If not, you can put shims in the rear of the scope mount to tilt your scope down but its not noticable unless your shooting long range. I do that to my 22LR for practing long range shooting where my adjustments bottoms out at 275 yards. The shims helps it reach 325-350 yards.

PS: Just gotta love the artwork! :P

Vtec44
12-04-2009, 3:13 PM
On my scope, the dials are for the POI. So if it's hitting low, I need to turn it up. If it's shooting right, I need to turn left to get the POI back to the center.

I used the 50-yard battle sight zero and it came out pretty good.

Arteel
12-04-2009, 3:16 PM
If your POI is low, you have to dail UP.

My groupings is very good so i know it's just the angle is a bit off on the scope. im guessing i'll need to raise the rear scope mounting rings

Bug Splat
12-04-2009, 3:22 PM

+1

Dial as if you are adjusting the bullet not the scope. Turn the dial in the direction you want the bullet to go not where you want the scope to go.

If the bullet impact low, turn the scope dial up to move the bullet up.

If the bullet impact is to the left turn the scope dial to the right.

kf6tac
12-04-2009, 3:27 PM

Yes, this is what I was getting at with my question -- the "UP" indicator on the scope means the point of impact goes up if you turn the knob in that direction, so you want to be dialing your scope in the direction of the "UP" arrow to fix your problem.

SVPRApps
12-04-2009, 3:30 PM
Yes, this is what I was getting at with my question -- the "UP" indicator on the scope means the point of impact goes up if you turn the knob in that direction, so you want to be dialing your scope in the direction of the "UP" arrow to fix your problem.

damn. well this fixes it a little bit.

i dialed it but its at its max adjustments.

i only plan on shooting about a football field long. i know once you go farther out the slightest millimeter movement will throw the shot off by a couple feet but im doing pretty close range shooting.

im pretty sure if i go out about 150 yds it will be on target

Vtec44
12-04-2009, 3:36 PM

i only plan on shooting about a football field long. i know once you go farther out the slightest millimeter movement will throw the shot off by a couple feet but im doing pretty close range shooting.

What kind of rifle and caliber is it? My M4 replica will shoot high at 100 yards but dead on at about 200 yards, using the 50 yards battle sight zero.

mala in se
12-04-2009, 3:39 PM
improper mounting could be an issue as well.

hoozaru
12-04-2009, 3:43 PM
check the spec of your scope mount rail

btw awesome pix

mif_slim
12-04-2009, 3:44 PM

Another thing you should keep in mind is that adjusting a scope to max is not good for the scope. Sometimes it "strip" the adjustments making the scope useless.

Jwood562
12-04-2009, 3:45 PM
I think the problem is you are trying to sight in at 20ft.

SVPRApps
12-04-2009, 3:45 PM
check the spec of your scope mount rail

btw awesome pix
thanks, i'm one of the lead design developers for that upcoming Avatar movie...

:D

improper mounting could be an issue as well.

2 pc scope mounts. low for 20mm - 32mm objective. 1in for 1 in tubes. seems about right

The scope rings came with it already. Barska mounts for the Barska scope

What kind of rifle and caliber is it? My M4 replica will shoot high at 100 yards but dead on at about 200 yards, using the 50 yards battle sight zero.

I have a Marlin 795 22. cal and it has 4x32mm cheap Barska scope.

9mmepiphany
12-04-2009, 3:53 PM
i also think 20' is too close to be trying to zero your scope...move it out to 25yards and see what it does

kf6tac
12-04-2009, 4:01 PM
Yeah, 20 feet simply may not give the bullet trajectory enough distance to rise to meet the point of aim.

IsaacGlass
12-04-2009, 4:16 PM
Buy yourself a bore sight and align the cross hair of the scope on the red dot at 25yds and you are done.

BTW, that's some funky artwork

ocabj
12-04-2009, 4:20 PM
Buy yourself a bore sight and align the cross hair of the scope on the red dot at 25yds and you are done.

He's on paper. He doesn't need a laser bore sight.

No one needs a laser bore sight.

Henry Hill
12-04-2009, 4:24 PM
I dont get what the point of a bore sight is.. Basically the same thing as just shooting at 25 yards and adjusting, it just gives you an idea of where you should start off ?

9mmepiphany
12-04-2009, 4:32 PM
the theory is, if you do it correctly, that you should be able to zero a scoped rifle in 2-3 rounds

X-NewYawker
12-04-2009, 4:42 PM
zero at 50 yards at least! At 20 feet the bullet is actually below the line of sight -- it's trajectory is an elongated parabolic arc --

Barney Gumble
12-04-2009, 4:55 PM
Zeroing at 20 feet is a pretty worthless endeavor.

If you actually succeed in getting POI = POA then you'll have a ridiculously high trajectory. For example this graph shows the trajectory for a 25 YARD zero on an AR:

http://www.box.net/shared/static/nfvs15lgfg.jpg

For 20 feet it would be even higher...the ballistics for a .22LR aren't the same but you get the point. I would just go back and zero at an appropriate distance that reflects what you're actually going to shoot at.

mydogsmonkey
12-04-2009, 6:36 PM
like others have said, you're just sighting in too close, try AT LEAST 25 yards

sevensix2x51
12-04-2009, 8:55 PM
dial up and see what happens.

IsaacGlass
12-04-2009, 9:37 PM
the bullet goes about 10 inches down from the cross hair

He's on paper. He doesn't need a laser bore sight.

No one needs a laser bore sight.

20ft distance, 10 inches below POI, how big of a target was he using?

sevensix2x51
12-04-2009, 9:43 PM
20ft distance, 10 inches below POI, how big of a target was he using?

i really dont like those laser boresighters. they make me nervous.

http://www.ryansgunsmithing.com/rifle/boresighter.jpg
http://www.ryansgunsmithing.com/rifle/riflepic3.jpg

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/chat/2145351/posts

dfletcher
12-04-2009, 10:10 PM

Back off to 50 yards and bore sight - as in, looking down the bore - and put your target (a black 3" works fine) in the center of the bore. Then look through the scope and line up the crosshairs on the target.

When using a scope, "UP" moves the point of impact up and "Down" moves it down. Same for left & right - the bullet goes in the direction written on the scope.

Mix & match doesn't work with rings, you can't use a low rear ring with a medium front ring to sight in.