PDA

View Full Version : 308 Upper, which way to go?

Super Spy
12-04-2009, 11:05 AM
I've got a pair of DPMS compatible lowers inbound and I'm wondering what you guys thought might be some good options on uppers. My intended use for this is hunting boar and deer and having a fun accurate gun better for long distance than my AR. I care about weight, recoil, accuracy and reliability. Some of those things work against each other so I'm looking for a good compromise. I plan on putting on an effective muzzle brake or buying a barrel with an integrated brake. I've found DPMS AP4 uppers in the $7-800 range and these seem close to what I'm looking for. I'd probably opt for a railed gas block so I can mount a flip up BUIS of my choice. I like the Carbon Free Float Handguard for the weight savings. It would be nice to have a convenient place to mount a bipod. I prefer a shorter barrel as hunting means bush bashing. I've also considered building my own upper, the only tools I lack are headspace gauges. Though when I price out building the same thing from DPMS it works out to the same amount of money as buying a complete upper. I might save a bit by building my own if I add on a bunch of options.

What company would you get the upper from? What barrel? Suggestions appreciated.

Super Spy
12-04-2009, 4:24 PM
Anybody?

trautert
12-04-2009, 4:50 PM
I'm watching for replies as well.
Tom

five.five-six
12-04-2009, 4:52 PM
I have built 3 complete armalite types... very happy

Super Spy
12-04-2009, 4:52 PM
Maybe I need to add a poll.....so what options should I list in the poll....DPMS, RRA...........?

I have a buddy with an Armalite AR-10 upper, great gun, but I have DPMS pattern lowers, so that's all I care about as far as this thread goes.

Gofasterdammit
12-04-2009, 5:07 PM
I've decided on a GA Precision AR-10 upper receiver for my CMMG .308 (DPMS style). My second choice was a Fulton Titan side charging UPR. Third would be a POF. If you want something cheap and quick to get then a DPMS would be my bet.

TMC
12-04-2009, 5:16 PM
I'd do one in .260 with a 24" barrel and good glass.

masterbush
12-04-2009, 6:53 PM

Thats cool and all but not a 308, and then you lose the easy and relatively cheap to find ammo.

I bought a sass upper, I just dont have the glass to tell you how good it is.

Jpach
12-04-2009, 6:55 PM
I would say go Fulton if you dont dropping a bit more than for the DPMS. They use Kreiger barrels (which are retarded accurate). They have the smoothe float tubes where you can put a small rail on it for the bipod and you can get an 18.5" barrel. Or just go for the AP4 upper if you want.

Hoop
12-04-2009, 7:24 PM
I'm using a DPMS SASS upper for my build. I was going to use an Armalite 20" National Match upper but I got a deal on CMMG 308 lower that was too good to pass up. It's going to have a 6 pos stock, the DPMS funky target grip, and a Leupold Mk4 6.5-20 TMR reticle.

The biggest differences between armalite and dpms builds I found were that parts kits and mags were cheaper for dpms. Both manufacturers make a fine product so honestly just go with whichever offers what you want at the price you can afford.

Hoop
12-04-2009, 7:26 PM
easy and relatively cheap to find ammo.

Would like a URL for this "easy and relatively cheap to find" 308 pretty please.

gdoldave
12-04-2009, 7:35 PM
I heartily endorse fulton armory . If you just want cheap ammo 308 is not the way to go. If you want the full enjoyment of the AR 10 platform consider a 6.5 creedmore titan far. I have won my category consistantly with Fulton uppers.

TMC
12-04-2009, 7:52 PM
Thats cool and all but not a 308, and then you lose the easy and relatively cheap to find ammo.

I bought a sass upper, I just dont have the glass to tell you how good it is.

.260 Rem is an off the shelf cartridge, maybe not a easy to find as 308 but I've seen at just about every sporting good store I've been to, even Walmart. Once you have brass its no more expensive to load than 308 and its better long range round.

Just my .02

swerv512
12-04-2009, 8:12 PM
GAP= :drool5:

Mesa Defense
12-04-2009, 9:54 PM

+1 exactly

constructor
12-04-2009, 10:07 PM
I've got a pair of DPMS compatible lowers inbound and I'm wondering what you guys thought might be some good options on uppers. My intended use for this is hunting boar and deer and having a fun accurate gun better for long distance than my AR. I care about weight, recoil, accuracy and reliability. Some of those things work against each other so I'm looking for a good compromise. I plan on putting on an effective muzzle brake or buying a barrel with an integrated brake. I've found DPMS AP4 uppers in the $7-800 range and these seem close to what I'm looking for. I'd probably opt for a railed gas block so I can mount a flip up BUIS of my choice. I like the Carbon Free Float Handguard for the weight savings. It would be nice to have a convenient place to mount a bipod. I prefer a shorter barrel as hunting means bush bashing. I've also considered building my own upper, the only tools I lack are headspace gauges. Though when I price out building the same thing from DPMS it works out to the same amount of money as buying a complete upper. I might save a bit by building my own if I add on a bunch of options.

What company would you get the upper from? What barrel? Suggestions appreciated.

Hunting boar and deer in brush, I would say that rules out the 24".
If you decide to go with a DPMS ask around about the chamber, you may want to have it reamed to something besides a straight "308 win." if that's what it comes with. Some DPMS have been marked 7.62 Nato and some 308 win. A 95 Palma or 308 Palma chamber would get you better accuracy and relieve the pressure a little.
An 18" would get you decent velocity but not feel like you are swinging a broom stick in a thicket. I think you already know to stay away from the bull barrels unless you like to haul a 14lb rifle around.

Hk996
12-04-2009, 10:07 PM
I would go with GAP, of course I'm biased since that's what I have... I did hear they have a bad backorder situation right now though... but I like mine!

Gofasterdammit
12-04-2009, 11:03 PM
GAP uppers are about a year out.

kblack583
12-05-2009, 9:11 AM
I'm running a Fulton with the 18.5" chroime lined barrel. Its very accurate and I love it except for th 11 lb weight with an ACS stock and scope. I'm almost done with another Fulton upper with the 22" stainless heavy barrel and a PRS stock but the thing is ending up being so damn heavy, I've decided to get rid of that upper and go with this:

http://www.ar15performance.com/308_class_uppers

VaderSpade
12-05-2009, 2:36 PM
Does the .260 use the same bolt as a .308?
I want to build a .308, & .243. The .260 would be the perfect gap filler if it used the same bolt.

kblack583
12-05-2009, 3:16 PM
Does the .260 use the same bolt as a .308?
I want to build a .308, & .243. The .260 would be the perfect gap filler if it used the same bolt.

Yes

Jpach
12-05-2009, 3:23 PM
I'm running a Fulton with the 18.5" chroime lined barrel. Its very accurate and I love it except for th 11 lb weight with an ACS stock and scope. I'm almost done with another Fulton upper with the 22" stainless heavy barrel and a PRS stock but the thing is ending up being so damn heavy, I've decided to get rid of that upper and go with this:

http://www.ar15performance.com/308_class_uppers

Fulton makes rifles with chrome lined barrels? I thought they only offered the SS Kreiger. Thats pretty cool. Do you have any pictures of your gun and its groups? Your 18.5" AR sounds like a gun I have been dreaming of lately. Even with the ACS stock.

kblack583
12-06-2009, 6:37 AM
Fulton makes rifles with chrome lined barrels? I thought they only offered the SS Kreiger. Thats pretty cool. Do you have any pictures of your gun and its groups? Your 18.5" AR sounds like a gun I have been dreaming of lately. Even with the ACS stock.

Their Titan Lights are chrome lined. Here's the link.

http://www.fulton-armory.com/TitanLite.htm#TitanLiteUppers

I'll find a camera and post a picture in bit.

Super Spy
12-06-2009, 3:01 PM
Titan has some nice looking stuff. I worry about a slick side upper reciever not having a port cover amd getting stuff in it while out bush bashing. Anyone have any experience with this? If you have a slick side receiver and you've only been to the range or shot competition this doesn't apply. I'm talking about rugged backwoods use that the gun was originally designed to handle.

Hoop
12-06-2009, 3:21 PM
Titan has some nice looking stuff. I worry about a slick side upper reciever not having a port cover amd getting stuff in it while out bush bashing. Anyone have any experience with this? If you have a slick side receiver and you've only been to the range or shot competition this doesn't apply. I'm talking about rugged backwoods use that the gun was originally designed to handle.

Fulton makes one with a dustcover and bolt assist too.

http://www.fulton-armory.com/TitanM110.htm#TitanM110Rifles

However once it's built up with a scope on it you're talking 10-12lbs at least so I doubt you'll be running all over the hills with it.

Jpach
12-06-2009, 3:27 PM

Dont get the slick-slide one then. Get the A4/A3 upper. Thats what I have on my .308 AR setup.

SteveK
12-06-2009, 3:31 PM
Noveske 21 upper.... Most accurate semi I have owened....

BKTJ
12-07-2009, 2:28 PM
I own several LAR308 rifles and am totally happy with them. I hunt Texas with a slick side 16" Sportical upper. The rifle shoots sub moa and will hold its own out to 400yds. I won't touch anything Fulton as they won't ship to California. I use the POF and CMMG lowers and would recommend the CMMG for a first timer, as the POF needs bushings in the pins. Not a big issue if you have done it a few times, but a pain. The quality on the DPMS uppers has been really good. If you want the look of the door and assist the 16" AP4 upper has free float and both. The assist is a waste of space on a 308 and I have never used one in many thousand rds. I have never found a problem with the slick side getting crap in the action. If I use my AP4 the door is open 99% of the time.
Those are my field guns and they get hunted with. I chose those as they have 7.62 chambers and don't have problems with military 7.62 or 308 ammo. Most of the other uppers have 308 chambers and some dont like 7.62 ammo. For field use the longer barrels are just too heavy and the SASS is an over done, over priced abortion. If you actually use them the longer ones look great, but are limited to range use. That is unless you like humping a 15lb really front heavy rifle around. I use a 20" for 3 gun and love it, but at a shoot the extra weight isn't an issue.

Super Spy
12-07-2009, 3:20 PM
I just got off the phone with AR15 Performance....I'll be waiting until late January when their new production version of a 308 upper is available. Sounds like what they have in mind is exactly what I'm looking for. Lightweight, accurate, reliable, shoot any ammo, with hunting as a top priority.

They claim their new upper in 308 is only about 4-5 oz heavier than a comparable upper with a similar barrel profile in 5.56.

wash
12-07-2009, 3:39 PM
I'll think about getting one of those if it will work on a lower that takes G3 magazines. I think CMMG makes one of those.

Super Spy
12-07-2009, 4:11 PM
Yup, CMMG makes one that takes G3 mags, and it will work with their upper. I thought about getting one but got such a smoking deal on an Iron Ridge lower I couldn't say "No"......plus the IRA lower is 7075 billet and looks awesome. Yes the G3 mags are cheaper, but I got my lower for half what one of those cost.

wash
12-07-2009, 4:19 PM
I've got more pre-ban G3 mags...

Jpach
12-07-2009, 4:20 PM
Their Titan Lights are chrome lined. Here's the link.

http://www.fulton-armory.com/TitanLite.htm#TitanLiteUppers

I'll find a camera and post a picture in bit.

Awesome brotha. What kind of groups are you getting?

Super Spy
12-07-2009, 4:28 PM
I've got more pre-ban G3 mags...

You lucky dog you!

Eastbayguy
12-07-2009, 4:40 PM
I just got off the phone with AR15 Performance....I'll be waiting until late January when their new production version of a 308 upper is available. Sounds like what they have in mind is exactly what I'm looking for. Lightweight, accurate, reliable, shoot any ammo, with hunting as a top priority.

They claim their new upper in 308 is only about 4-5 oz heavier than a comparable upper with a similar barrel profile in 5.56.
Did they reveal the price?

b0lingball
12-08-2009, 8:25 AM
Anyone knows the turn around time for a Fulton upper? Weeks or months?

Hoop
12-08-2009, 8:31 AM
I'll think about getting one of those if it will work on a lower that takes G3 magazines. I think CMMG makes one of those.

Fidelis Arms has a few .308 rifles built on CMMG G3 lowers, and I think they have some G3 stripped lowers in stock too. No idea if they are Cali friendly though.

They had a really sweet 18" .308 rifle built on one of those lowers at the Reno Show for ~1600.

As far as mags go though with C-Products and Magpul getting into the DPMS 308 mag market I don't think there will be any issue getting mags for ~20 a pop or less, so I'm not sure I would go the G3 route (I've seen some really really ugly surplus G3 mags before).

kblack583
12-08-2009, 9:13 AM
Awesome brotha. What kind of groups are you getting?

Still cant get camera to work.

Only paper groups I have are my 150 FMJ handloads and Milsurp stuff I'm testing through a chrony at 50 yards and except for a flyer here and there they are staying in the half inch ring on my target spots. I have a 3" steel swinger at 200 yards and it dings it no problem off a bag. Next time up I'll try to get some groups on paper at 100 for these and some 168 SMK handloads. My guess is that it's a lot more accurate than I am capable of shooting.

kblack583
12-08-2009, 9:14 AM
Anyone knows the turn around time for a Fulton upper? Weeks or months?

They got mine done in 8 weeks back in March when things were crazy. Guess would be that or better now.

supersonic
12-08-2009, 10:02 AM
Sell those lowers and go with AeroPrecision. That way, you can have the original - and BEST - AR-10.:cool:

Super Spy
12-08-2009, 2:15 PM
Latest update from AR15 Performance. They will first be building a billet upper with a match grade barrel, 25 of these will be built, and they will posted on their website when available. Sometime in late January the production version will be available, these will be ~900-1100 depending on options. The upper receiver is a slick side upper with a rear charging handle, so no door, no forward assist. The profile is close to a standard AR upper (not rounded) and it will have an integrated rail. The standard will be an aluminum free float hand guard and a low profile gas block. I asked if a group of us were interested if a group buy discount would be possible, he said yes it's possible, but that his dealers have to buy 10 uppers to qualify for a discount so we'd have to have more interest than that.

I'm in, I want a railed gas block on mine, and may go for a carbon free float tube.

I don't know the legality of a group buy, I don't have an FFL or a business license so I WON'T collect any money. If I can facilitate a group of us getting a good price on a nice upper, fantastic. I'm happy to help fellow calgunners. If there is anything I need to know or watch for please speak up now.

BTW All you Aero fiends, please go buy your AeroPrecision upper, this thread is not about that, I prefer the more mainstream DPMS pattern and availability of components. Thanks.

Solidsnake87
12-08-2009, 2:16 PM
go custom from the start.........SOOOOOO much more for your money, especially if you build it yourself.

Super Spy
12-08-2009, 3:03 PM
go custom from the start.........SOOOOOO much more for your money, especially if you build it yourself.

I was thinking that way a week ago, then I made a spreadsheet and figured out how much it would all cost.....I might end up with something really nice, but out of my budget fast. That's before I buy any tools either like headspace guages, action block, etc.

I'd love to see your custom build, you may have deeper pockets than me too. You do the fancy custom build, and I can enjoy it vicariously through you :D

Jpach
12-08-2009, 3:09 PM
Still cant get camera to work.

Only paper groups I have are my 150 FMJ handloads and Milsurp stuff I'm testing through a chrony at 50 yards and except for a flyer here and there they are staying in the half inch ring on my target spots. I have a 3" steel swinger at 200 yards and it dings it no problem off a bag. Next time up I'll try to get some groups on paper at 100 for these and some 168 SMK handloads. My guess is that it's a lot more accurate than I am capable of shooting.

Tagging the 3 incher at 200yds with ease with 150gr FMJ? Thats some serious ****. Good choice. I guess Kreiger knows how to CL their barrels :D

Jpach
12-08-2009, 3:12 PM
Latest update from AR15 Performance. They will first be building a billet upper with a match grade barrel, 25 of these will be built, and they will posted on their website when available. Sometime in late January the production version will be available, these will be ~900-1100 depending on options. The upper receiver is a slick side upper with a rear charging handle, so no door, no forward assist. The profile is close to a standard AR upper (not rounded) and it will have an integrated rail. The standard will be an aluminum free float hand guard and a low profile gas block. I asked if a group of us were interested if a group buy discount would be possible, he said yes it's possible, but that his dealers have to buy 10 uppers to qualify for a discount so we'd have to have more interest than that.

I'm in, I want a railed gas block on mine, and may go for a carbon free float tube.

I don't know the legality of a group buy, I don't have an FFL or a business license so I WON'T collect any money. If I can facilitate a group of us getting a good price on a nice upper, fantastic. I'm happy to help fellow calgunners. If there is anything I need to know or watch for please speak up now.

BTW All you Aero fiends, please go buy your AeroPrecision upper, this thread is not about that, I prefer the more mainstream DPMS pattern and availability of components. Thanks.

Definitely go with AR15 Performance brotha. Harrison is a cool guy and will get you set.

constructor
12-08-2009, 11:23 PM
The 308 upper I just built is 18" .800 dia under the guard and .700 from the GB to the muzzle.
A 308 lower is apx 3 oz heavier than a AR15 lower and these I.T.S.-12 uppers are apx 4oz more than a AR15 upper with the same length barrel and profile so the complete rifle empty is apx 7oz more than a comparable AR15.
These uppers were designed with the hunter in mind. I have had 3-4 different AR10 uppers and never carry them in the woods because of the weight. The other thing that I didn't like was the large dia float tubes and the lack of choices for them, these uppers use standard AR15 float tubes or quad rails, cheaper, lighter, smaller.
ETA- Complete rifle built with 18" barrel with Troy TRX Extreme rail weighes 7lbs

Eastbayguy
12-09-2009, 5:47 AM
I'm in for a group buy:)!

supersonic
12-09-2009, 7:06 AM

My comment was actually more in jest (obviously you have already decided on your DPMS-pattern rifle & aren't going to get rid of the lowers!). But FYI: Aero doesn't make .308 uppers.;)

Wildhawk66
12-09-2009, 7:14 AM
All politics aside, I would highly recommend Fulton.
http://i402.photobucket.com/albums/pp110/wildhawk66/IMG_4657-1.jpg
http://i402.photobucket.com/albums/pp110/wildhawk66/IMG_4659.jpg
http://i402.photobucket.com/albums/pp110/wildhawk66/IMG_4660.jpg

Super Spy
12-09-2009, 9:40 AM
Nice looking gun! What does it weigh? How heavy is the bipod? I want to add one, but many I've seen look bulky, not an issue for a bench rest shooter, but no good if your lugging the thing around all day over hills and through brush.

jmf_tracy
12-09-2009, 9:44 AM
wildhawk66 - nice rifle, but your bipod is on backwards.

op - i vote for GAP, i know it is a long wait, but it is worth it and very reasonably priced for the quality.

Wildhawk66
12-09-2009, 3:16 PM
wildhawk66 - nice rifle, but your bipod is on backwards.

Just slapped it on for the shot. I was wondering if someone would notice. :D

supersonic
12-10-2009, 6:18 AM
Just slapped it on for the shot. I was wondering if someone would notice. :D

C'mon! This IS CalGuns, remember. You're just trying to save face & play it off like you knew!:p

Rukus
12-12-2009, 12:27 PM
Does anyone else know of any custom manufacturers of DPMS style uppers? It seems everywhere I look the uppers are Armalite style.

Hk996
12-12-2009, 12:33 PM
GAP offers both styles

ILVSMOG
12-12-2009, 2:05 PM
and GAP stands for . . . . ??

Rukus
12-12-2009, 2:09 PM
GA Precision

ILVSMOG
12-12-2009, 2:23 PM
ahh, thanks!