PDA

View Full Version : Solar Tactical's rapid release button magnet reviews?

evidens83
12-04-2009, 7:36 AM
For out of state use or rimfire use only, anybody ever have theirs fall out during recoil? Or is the magnet that strong you dont have to worry about it? Originally bought the Wonder Wrench but the thread doesn't convince me that it will hold during live fire exercise.

CHS
12-04-2009, 7:45 AM
For out of state use or rimfire use only, anybody ever have theirs fall out during recoil? Or is the magnet that strong you dont have to worry about it? Originally bought the Wonder Wrench but the thread doesn't convince me that it will hold during live fire exercise.

If you're doing the kind of exercises that would make a device like those fall out, why not just replace the bullet button with a standard magazine release? Takes less than a minute to install with no real tools needed.

Just keep the spring and button in your pistol grip or range bag.

I use the wonder wrench when I'm out of state, and it works fine, but when I'm out of state I'm usually just plinking, and I constantly check it to make sure it's in fine.

If I was going to take a magpul class or something, there's no way I would use ANY conversion tool, even a raddlock. I'd just bring my spring and button and convert back to a standard mag release. It's too easy NOT to.

evidens83
12-04-2009, 7:54 AM
I was considering that. What parts do I need to return to a standard mag release? I have the original BB if I'm not mistaken if that helps. And does your shop sell the parts?

CHS
12-04-2009, 8:14 AM
I was considering that. What parts do I need to return to a standard mag release? I have the original BB if I'm not mistaken if that helps. And does your shop sell the parts?

Yeah, we have the parts.

Come on in and I'll show you exactly how. It's pretty easy with just a bic pen :)

Hoop
12-04-2009, 8:16 AM

If you have the original button all you need is a spring. Once you take it apart it's self explanatory.

I wouldn't use one of those magnets.

djleisure
12-04-2009, 8:23 AM
I keep the rapid release magnet tool in my MIAD grip for out of state or rimfire use. These things are REALLY strong magnets and the sit pretty deep in the well of the BB device. It would take quite a bit to knock one out - definitely not recoil, but possibly certain types of maneuvers. Like stated above, I would not use it in any sort of tactical class, but for just plinking/shooting/rapid firing out of state they are good to go!

http://inlinethumb34.webshots.com/17057/2613465330104322648S600x600Q85.jpg

evidens83
12-04-2009, 8:40 AM
Yeah, we have the parts.

Come on in and I'll show you exactly how. It's pretty easy with just a bic pen :)

What will I need? Just the button and catch spring? Just screws right into the magazine catch right?

CHS
12-04-2009, 8:45 AM
What will I need? Just the button and catch spring? Just screws right into the magazine catch right?

Exactly. Hell, I've got free spares sitting around.

tomd1584
12-04-2009, 8:49 AM
I have one, and like others have said its great for dropping in quickly without any tools.

I only use it for plinking @ my house in AZ, but never had it pop out. the magnet is pretty strong. If you plan on taking some sort of class out of state i definately suggest putting in the standard mag release.

shark92651
12-04-2009, 11:57 AM
Just curious, but what is the difference between the Solar Tactical magnet and this one, that is stickied in the 2nd Amend forum with dire warnings of "DO NOT USE/BUY!"

WARNING: "MagMagnet" magnetic cap for Bullet Button sold at gunshows: DO NOT USE/BUY (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=238857)!

Aren't both of these product essentially the same?

PEBKAC
12-04-2009, 12:14 PM
Just curious, but what is the difference between the Solar Tactical magnet and this one, that is stickied in the 2nd Amend forum with dire warnings of "DO NOT USE/BUY!"

WARNING: "MagMagnet" magnetic cap for Bullet Button sold at gunshows: DO NOT USE/BUY (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=238857)!

Aren't both of these product essentially the same?
I think the main difference was how the product was marketed.

Solar Tactical was explicitly marketed as being for out of state/rimfire use only, while the other was allegedly somewhat ambiguously marketed as perhaps the solution to the magazine catch problem in CA, made claims about "grey area" in the law that is not grey at all, and the only warning about when you can legally use it is inside the packaging which you had to buy to get access to. There were some other things too, but this is just what I remember from lurking that thread.

Functionally though, you are correct. Pretty much the same product.

sirnonz
12-04-2009, 4:58 PM
same thing but solar tactical said it was illegal in california unless used with a 22lr rifle.