PDA

View Full Version : SKS builders

dark_ninja
12-03-2009, 6:42 PM
Hey guys! I am new here and this would be my first post. I've been looking through all the postings,threads,etc. and have not come across a significant mention on SKS rifles. Forgive if I am wrong,I am a newbie! Anyhow, I wanted to dedicate this thread to any one who has or is building an SKS rifle,that is pretty much upgrading it from stock. Any and all are welcomed. Opinions and criticisms as well.

The SKS was my first rifle I bought as soon as I turned 18. Great rifle! Always fun to shoot. So it would be natural to upgrade her before any others. I've added a black Tapco SKS compliance kit with bottom rail,fixed 10 rd mag,Intrafuse vertical grip,Tapco gas tube with pictanny rail and red/green dot holographic sight.

I might've messed up the gas tube by filing it down to much to ensure a proper fit. I have yet to fire it.

run8
12-03-2009, 6:59 PM
Looks good, I'm working on one but a Russian SKS, having issues getting that gas tube part in, so you have to file it?

dark_ninja
12-03-2009, 8:33 PM
Thanks! Yeah,but like I mentioned I might have filed too much. Best bet take it to a gunsmith who can do it for you... I might have to buy another and have a gunsmith do it. Do you have pics?

professorhard
12-03-2009, 8:37 PM
Looks good man, but that's called bubba-ing. Building is when you assemble a rifle from parts, preferably on a receiver you made yourself.

Rob454
12-03-2009, 8:42 PM
I think SKS rifles are great in stock form. it took me a while to realize it.
I dont think thereis much you can do to a SKS besides swapping US parts in it.
Other than that just shoot it and have fun. Jsut be realistic at what you expect out of the rifle. A long range sniper rifle it will never be.

bolantej
12-03-2009, 8:53 PM
nice work, but I too enjoy the look and feel of the original stock.

SJgunguy24
12-03-2009, 8:53 PM
Looks good, I'm working on one but a Russian SKS, having issues getting that gas tube part in, so you have to file it?

Whats giving you problems with the tube? Do you have the op rod in and secured?

dark_ninja
12-03-2009, 10:29 PM
Looks good man, but that's called bubba-ing. Building is when you assemble a rifle from parts, preferably on a receiver you made yourself.

Excuse me, and thank you! I don't want to sound like a total noob!

dark_ninja
12-03-2009, 10:38 PM
Thanks for the feedback so far everyone. I don't expect much more from my rifle besides being the fun rifle to shoot. I've added all the US made parts mostly for cosmetic purposes. It looks really neat. Besides having a new operating rod,gas piston and gas tube doesn't hurt (if it lives up to his hype).
This is far as I am going with the my SKS. I still need to add the Tapco muzzle brake,which I'll have a gunsmith install. All that is needed now is field testing and sighting with the sight.

dark_ninja
12-03-2009, 10:42 PM

Apparently the aftermarket gas tubes need a little filling to ensure a proper fitting when locking the pin that releases the gas tube. I do recommend anyone installing an aftermarket gas tube to have installed by a gunsmith that knows what they are doing. Take it from me,like I said I might've filled to much and made the new gas tube useless. Better to pay a little more than to have to purchase a new gas tube all together!:stupid:

Donkeypunch0420
12-03-2009, 10:43 PM
You need to go shoot that sucker man!

Chach
12-04-2009, 1:49 AM
Is there any affect that 922R would have on modifying the SKS from its original form?

JeffM
12-04-2009, 2:23 AM
http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc154/JeffMsJunk/PLAPeoplesLiberationArmyChineseP-1.jpg

HeyZeus
12-04-2009, 2:34 AM
Don't lose the old parts. I have many SKS rifles. Only one is altered. That one I got as a parts gun. It was just a receiver and barrel. It is a 1979 Chinese pinned barrel. I like it alot but I would not alter the other ones I have. Especially a Russian. They are nice rifles as is.

I now have a smaller scope on it. It shoots really well and is fun. I only altered it because it was a receiver and barrel only.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y13/pbcHeyZeus/sksfun.jpg

dark_ninja
12-04-2009, 12:35 PM
Don't lose the old parts. I have many SKS rifles. Only one is altered. That one I got as a parts gun. It was just a receiver and barrel. It is a 1979 Chinese pinned barrel. I like it alot but I would not alter the other ones I have. Especially a Russian. They are nice rifles as is.

I now have a smaller scope on it. It shoots really well and is fun. I only altered it because it was a receiver and barrel only.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y13/pbcHeyZeus/sksfun.jpg

Really nice! Yeah,I have all the original parts minus the original wooden stock.:banghead:

dark_ninja
12-04-2009, 12:39 PM
Is there any affect that 922R would have on modifying the SKS from its original form?

Google 922r

I'm not fluent in gun laws but apparently these "modifications" can be made if replacing with US made parts. i believe as long as you have about 9/10 US parts you can have a folding stock,detachable 10 rd mag, or fixed 10/30 mag... Don't take my word for it though. I just have enough US parts to make mine 922r complaint

seldomwright
12-04-2009, 1:06 PM
HeyZues, does that bolt on tri rail obscure the ironsights? I have a similar one and it does. Does yours sight above or below/through the added tri rail? I know there's a semicircular groove down the top of it, but my sight line falls just below, inside the hollow body of the whole thing. It works, but there's a lot going on visually. Wondering if I have something weird going on.

run8
12-04-2009, 1:54 PM
Only reason I was doing the Tapco thing to mine is it was my first SKS, a so so Russian and I've since got two more Russians of better quality.

dark_ninja
12-04-2009, 2:01 PM
Sounds good. Post some pics if you can

Lucky Scott
12-04-2009, 2:39 PM
Keep the old stock parts, you never know.

I dont think there is anything wrong with having fun with the gun. I prefer the original stock and stripper clips, but admit it must be fun to build the tapco stock and magazines.

Not my style, but the gun looks cool, good job!

HeyZeus
12-04-2009, 9:11 PM
Mine sights through the rail and it works just fine. It does make the front end a little heavy but i like the look of it. The scope mount is a Choate and it is drilled and tapped. The muzzle brake bolts through the cleaning rod stud. If I did anything it would be to remove the forend.

SJgunguy24
12-04-2009, 9:15 PM
Apparently the aftermarket gas tubes need a little filling to ensure a proper fitting when locking the pin that releases the gas tube. I do recommend anyone installing an aftermarket gas tube to have installed by a gunsmith that knows what they are doing. Take it from me,like I said I might've filled to much and made the new gas tube useless. Better to pay a little more than to have to purchase a new gas tube all together!:stupid:

There's a way to fix that if the as long as the gap isn't too large.
I know my way around an Siminov rifle.

run8
12-04-2009, 9:21 PM
Yes, it's just trying to get the pin to snap down into place if I'm describing it properly, I'll have to take a photo to show what I'm talking about.

SJgunguy24
12-04-2009, 9:36 PM
Yes, it's just trying to get the pin to snap down into place if I'm describing it properly, I'll have to take a photo to show what I'm talking about.

You gotta make sure the op rod is fully seated and locked then the gas tube goes in.

dark_ninja
12-06-2009, 7:29 PM
**UPDATE**

So I shot my SKS today and what a total disappointment. First off,the indoor firing range I went to charged $25 for a box of 25 7.62x39 rounds. I said "f*** it",I just want to make sure it shoots! Well I'm having problems loading a full 10 rd stripper clip into the Tapco fixed mag. Probably not the biggest pain I experienced today. Second I notice after a shot or two,the cartridge would get stuck in the bolt! I suppose and I am probably on the money,the cause of it is having filed down too much of the gas tube to ensure the proper fit. I didn't read the f****ing instructions,as always! Not to mention I was charged $18 for rifle usage in the range,instead of the typical $13.

Ahh,did I mentioned I forgot to take with me the original gas tube! ArggHH!!

Well my conclusion,don't install anything that requires tools unless you know what your doing. And don't go to LAX firing range for rifle usage!!! And thank Obama bin Laden for the high ammo prices! :no:

Lucky Scott
12-06-2009, 7:35 PM
Wow, bummer day, but nothing major.
Now you have learned to order your ammo online, or haunt the ammo for sale section of this site so you have ammo.
In fact, save up some money and start stocking up, since once you get the gun working you will use a lot.
Dont worry, you will get it handled.

dark_ninja
12-07-2009, 12:39 AM
Wilco

SJgunguy24
12-07-2009, 1:07 AM
I try to stay away from any of the aftermarket parts for the Siminov rifle. The only thing you can change and have it not effect the gun is the stock. Leave everything else as is.

dark_ninja
12-17-2009, 10:18 PM
Yeah I just finished sanding and painting my original gas tube to a flat black to at the very least match the stock! I'll keep that on when I take it to the range next time. The other issue I might have is with the Tapco fixed 10 rd mag... Now I heard that the spring has to be broken in,so I've decided to keep it loaded(not locked into the rifle of course) so I can break it in. But there might have to be some minor sanding to be able to properly feed the stripper clip straight into the fixed mag. I'll post some pics and keep this post running until I get the results I'm looking for

Bucky G
12-18-2009, 7:46 AM
I put a tapco gastube (only because it came with the matching handguard for the tapco stock) and gas piston
I needed to file the angle on the tube to get it to fit... just take it a little at a time until you can get it on there
I'd put a regular sks non-detachable magazine on it
feeds flawless and easy to load stripper clips into

OneApart
12-18-2009, 8:00 AM

Gunsmith would be the safe bet. In the future, you might want to use a Dremel to grind down the protruding section.

Be careful not to grind it down too much or you can grind the pin into the tube.... (and when you try and replace the guard, or tube it will be a B*&^ getting that pin out).

If you have a question about whether or not there is a proper seal on the gas tube..... if you fire off a round and it does not chamber the next one.... you may be losing pressure through a leak, so the operating rod will not have enough push to charge the bolt again.

doc1buc
12-18-2009, 8:10 AM
I have the Tapco fixed ten rounder and had the same issue for a bit. You need to make sure that the stripper clip is WELL seated or you end up UGGing ever round in the mag.

dark_ninja
12-20-2009, 10:49 AM
I put a tapco gastube (only because it came with the matching handguard for the tapco stock) and gas piston
I needed to file the angle on the tube to get it to fit... just take it a little at a time until you can get it on there
I'd put a regular sks non-detachable magazine on it
feeds flawless and easy to load stripper clips into

Yeah,thats what I've should've done,filed a bit at a time until it fit snug and proper till it locked in place... I ended up painting the original gas tube. I'm taking it back to the range next week,to an outdoor this time. I also modified the fixed Tapco 10 rounder by filing it down to match the original fixed mag. I'm going to post it in a thread with pictures and step by steps.

dark_ninja
12-20-2009, 10:53 AM
Gunsmith would be the safe bet. In the future, you might want to use a Dremel to grind down the protruding section.

Be careful not to grind it down too much or you can grind the pin into the tube.... (and when you try and replace the guard, or tube it will be a B*&^ getting that pin out).

If you have a question about whether or not there is a proper seal on the gas tube..... if you fire off a round and it does not chamber the next one.... you may be losing pressure through a leak, so the operating rod will not have enough push to charge the bolt again.

Yup,that's exactly what happened when I took it to the range about two weeks ago! It wouldn't chamber properly and or it wouldn't eject the shell(it would get stuck). I just ended up painting the original gas tube black so it would match the Tapco stock.Look for it in a new thread I will be posting.

dark_ninja
12-20-2009, 11:57 AM
http://i327.photobucket.com/albums/k441/Joey_Sixx/100_0772.jpg

This is the primer and spray paint I used. Purchased locally at Home Depot.

http://i327.photobucket.com/albums/k441/Joey_Sixx/100_0764.jpg
http://i327.photobucket.com/albums/k441/Joey_Sixx/100_0765.jpg
http://i327.photobucket.com/albums/k441/Joey_Sixx/100_0766.jpg

I used electrical tape to tape off the metal parts.

http://i327.photobucket.com/albums/k441/Joey_Sixx/100_0769.jpg

I used this 150 sanding sponge to lightly sand the wooden part of the tube to prep before applying the primer.

After applying two coats of primer,30 min apart I let it dry for an hour and turned it over to apply two more coats. After an hour I began applying the black paint.I applied two coats 30 min apart and let dry for an hour before turning it over and applying two more coats. I gave it 30 min for the primer and paint to dry because it was raining outside and it was cold. But I think that 15 min should be sufficient in decent temperature.

Here is the finished product on my SKS.
http://i327.photobucket.com/albums/k441/Joey_Sixx/100_0830.jpg

CSACANNONEER
12-20-2009, 12:18 PM
Well, it looks like you already have learned that changing parts on a SKS is not upgrading it at all. They work much better stock.

As far as 922(r) goes, it is clear that you need to read and understand it a lot better than you do before you start changing parts out on imported rifle. First of all, 922(r) does not require any US made parts. However, it does state that you can only use so many imported parts if you take your rifle out of a sporting configuration. I'm intentionally being a bit vague because, Since you are ultimately responsible for your actions, I want you to look up the law, read and understand it for yourself.

Another thing, since you decided to bubba your rifle up, why did you keep the wood upper handgaurd instead of taking less than a minute to change it out to a plastic one to match your stock?

johnthomas
12-20-2009, 1:07 PM
I think you knew as you were getting ready to post, you were in for a firestorm from die hard C&R keepers of the flame. I have many sks carbines, one of which has been sporterized. That one is a Chinese made carbine.
A lot of folks on here talk about history, integrity of the gun and value being diminished by changing a few things. The term "Bubba" really means making changes that can't be un-done, cut stock or barrel, paint, grinding or welding. It is your gun, your business. Any parts I replace I figure are temporary, I keep the original parts just in case I want to change it back. As far as value goes, there is always a market for that fine looking carbine. Good job and good luck on your next shoot.

dark_ninja
12-20-2009, 4:44 PM
Well, it looks like you already have learned that changing parts on a SKS is not upgrading it at all. They work much better stock.

As far as 922(r) goes, it is clear that you need to read and understand it a lot better than you do before you start changing parts out on imported rifle. First of all, 922(r) does not require any US made parts. However, it does state that you can only use so many imported parts if you take your rifle out of a sporting configuration. I'm intentionally being a bit vague because, Since you are ultimately responsible for your actions, I want you to look up the law, read and understand it for yourself.

Another thing, since you decided to bubba your rifle up, why did you keep the wood upper handgaurd instead of taking less than a minute to change it out to a plastic one to match your stock?

I appreciate your input,and as with anything legally related to firearms,I am definitely not really knowledgeable. Just to clarify,I never said that I know 922(r) in and out...

I like to give people the benefit of the doubt,but maybe you didn't read my threads up to now. Or any else's for that manner. To the best of my knowledge,from what I have researched,a lot of people seem to have problems in swapping the inner gas tube by punching out the pin that holds it to the wooden hand guard. that comes with the Tapco stock. The pin,maybe on all Yugo models,seem to be tapered. I've tried to do this by punching it out with no success.

Second,I did purchase a Tapco SKS gas tube,filed down to much material,leaving too much space between the gas tube and operating rod. Pretty much I f***ed it up.

Lastly,maybe you should read the entire threads before saying anything on how I should read and understand something when you yourself can't.

dark_ninja
12-20-2009, 4:55 PM
I think you knew as you were getting ready to post, you were in for a firestorm from die hard C&R keepers of the flame. I have many sks carbines, one of which has been sporterized. That one is a Chinese made carbine.
A lot of folks on here talk about history, integrity of the gun and value being diminished by changing a few things. The term "Bubba" really means making changes that can't be un-done, cut stock or barrel, paint, grinding or welding. It is your gun, your business. Any parts I replace I figure are temporary, I keep the original parts just in case I want to change it back. As far as value goes, there is always a market for that fine looking carbine. Good job and good luck on your next shoot.

Not really,but now I have. I have learned a lot from starting this post. Both from the negative and positive. Either way,I still would've gone through with bubba-ing my SKS. Although,everything I have done to it is reversible,minus the gas tube,it's now painted black! Oh well! I admit though,this just makes me want to buy at least another SKS,if I can track one down. Of course I would leave it stock. And thank you for your compliment.

CSACANNONEER
12-20-2009, 5:14 PM
I appreciate your input,and as with anything legally related to firearms,I am definitely not really knowledgeable. Just to clarify,I never said that I know 922(r) in and out...

I like to give people the benefit of the doubt,but maybe you didn't read my threads up to now. Or any else's for that manner. To the best of my knowledge,from what I have researched,a lot of people seem to have problems in swapping the inner gas tube by punching out the pin that holds it to the wooden hand guard. that comes with the Tapco stock. The pin,maybe on all Yugo models,seem to be tapered. I've tried to do this by punching it out with no success.

Second,I did purchase a Tapco SKS gas tube,filed down to much material,leaving too much space between the gas tube and operating rod. Pretty much I f***ed it up.

Lastly,maybe you should read the entire threads before saying anything on how I should read and understand something when you yourself can't.

I realize that you stated that you were not too sure about 922(r). Since you already have modified your rifle into a non-sporting configuration, maybe you should find out if you have committed a crime by doing so? It's just a thought.
I know that I try learn the laws BEFORE I make a mistake and become a criminal.

Guess what, I did read the entire thread! I just reread it and, now I understand. You kept refering to your "gas tube" but, you really mont your gas tube and upper handgaurd. I get it. I'm sorry for my ignorance. I've never tried to remove my upper handgaurd from my Yugo. I have done it easily on my Russian and my Chinese ones though. That's why I asked. Thanks for teaching me something.

I think you are just upset with me because, I appear not to be a fan of bubbaed SKS type rifles. I'm not. But, that's because, none of the aftermarket crap is as reliable as OEM stuff. I do have one SKS with a folding stock, William's peep sight and an orange plastic front sight. It is a great little ranch gun but, I did nothing to the magazine or any internals. That is why it is still 100% reliable. Many of us have already traveled down the path you are on and decided that it was a dead end. If you don't want to learn from other's mistakes and experiences, that's your choice. You can keep doing what you are doing. It won't hurt anything and, if you are having fun doing it, that's great! Having fun and being safe is really all that matters. Right?

sfangel
12-20-2009, 9:04 PM
I like your setup. which kit did you get from tapco?

dark_ninja
12-21-2009, 12:15 PM
I like your setup. which kit did you get from tapco?

Tapco Intrafuse kit. I bought the intrafuse vertical grip and tapco fixed ten round mag separately. I also bought the matching gas tube extra with the pictanny rail. Oh,btw it was the one with no bayonet spike... There are some that come come with the space for it,another without it and the one with the bottom pictanny rail( that's what I have). Are you planning to bubba your SKS? If you have questions you can hit me up

mr2.0
12-21-2009, 10:58 PM
Dark ninja, if you want you can to Home Depot and pick up a bottle of black spray paint with texture,it will match your stock much better imo.

Here is an old pic of my sks, since then I've changed the scope and gone with Choate mount:
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c194/nguyejp1/CIMG0832.jpg
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c194/nguyejp1/CIMG0833.jpg

dark_ninja
12-22-2009, 6:49 AM
Dark ninja, if you want you can to Home Depot and pick up a bottle of black spray paint with texture,it will match your stock much better imo.

Here is an old pic of my sks, since then I've changed the scope and gone with Choate mount:
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c194/nguyejp1/CIMG0832.jpg
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c194/nguyejp1/CIMG0833.jpg

Very nice! So much ammo whoa! Ok I'll do that!

mr2.0
12-22-2009, 4:00 PM
don't forget to post the pics of final result :D

BigBoyPinoy
12-23-2009, 1:52 AM
Here's a pic of my "bubba" sks para and the somewhat stock Alby.

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t310/kengulo/Firearms/P1020835.jpg

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t310/kengulo/Firearms/P1020805.jpg