PDA

View Full Version : Help to identify old colt?? upper

KaTooM
12-03-2009, 4:13 PM
I bought this upper used for a kiss/somewhat retro build and have some questions.

What barrel is this? was suppose to be colt 1/12 twist. Obviously it is a 1/7 twist with a three prong flash hider,but wanted to know the brand.

Front sight brand?

Lastly the upper body make model? obviously been painted black :( but it does look like an old colt light Grey m16 finish under.

I also would like to test this upper with my complete DDM4 lower and complete bolt group. It this a problem with a 20" barrel upper, do I need too check head space?

It all seems to fit perfect and function dry firing.

Thanks in advance.

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn77/willmaker6/barrel1.jpg

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn77/willmaker6/front.jpg

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn77/willmaker6/upper.jpg

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn77/willmaker6/complete.jpg

AndrewMendez
12-03-2009, 4:43 PM
This looks like a 1970's? Upper. Especially being Colt. I dont even think they make Upper like that anymore.

Q
12-03-2009, 4:49 PM
Looks like a new barrel "rebarrel". The upper might not be a colt. The barrel is though.:D Is it heavy? Maybe the barrel is a full hbar and not a A2 barrel. Delta ring is the new style not correct for A1.

VaderSpade
12-03-2009, 5:18 PM
This looks like a 1970's? Upper. Especially being Colt. I dont even think they make Upper like that anymore.

I have colt SP1's from 1975, and 1983 (RAWs) they did NOT have a forward assist. I have a H-BAR colt upper from 1989 that does have a forward assist. It would be easy to find out exactly when they started putting the forward assist on (sometime between 1983-1989), but dinner is ready.

DB2
12-03-2009, 5:20 PM
This is what you have.

Colt A2 barrel with a replacement a2 site.
A1 upper. Maybe Colt. Blown up pic looks as if it might have the square c stamp in the front. Not sure though. No forge codes as if it was a replcement a1.

Definetly mix master.

Take it out and shoot it.

KaTooM
12-03-2009, 5:22 PM
Looks like a new barrel "re barrel". The upper might not be a colt. The barrel is though.:D Is it heavy? Maybe the barrel is a full hbar and not a A2 barrel. Delta ring is the new style not correct for A1.

Yes, it is heavy. After comparing my picture of the upper body with the pictures on the retro M16 site I have concluded.

Supposed to be A1 upper body is probably not Colt. Re barreled with heavy colt 1/7 twist barrel. No real retro anything on this upper....:mad:

Will shoot it like crzy on Saturday and will feel better....

Live and learn I suppose...bought it from a army surplus store on line with description of retro Colt M16 upper with 1/12 twist 20" barrel. The picture in the add looked perfect retro, what I got was not.

Thanks!

five.five-six
12-03-2009, 5:24 PM
it does appear to be a mix n match.. sort of funny looking with an adjuatable stock and a1 handgaurds, i bet it shoots sweet though

five.five-six
12-03-2009, 5:26 PM
Live and learn I suppose...bought it from a army surplus store on line with description of retro Colt M16 upper with 1/12 twist 20" barrel. The picture in the add looked perfect retro, what I got was not.

Thanks!

but it's stamped 1:7 which means it is going to shoot a lot better. how much/where did you get it? i have a A2 lower, i have wanted to take exactly what you have and cut the barrel down to a pencil profile and re park it... retro look, shoots straight :)

KaTooM
12-03-2009, 5:27 PM
This is what you have.

Colt A2 barrel with probably original front sight.
A1 upper. Blown up pic looks as if it might have the square c stamp in the front. Not sure though.

Take it out and shoot it.

Thanks! will do.

KaTooM
12-03-2009, 5:37 PM
but it's stamped 1:7 which means it is going to shoot a lot better. how much/where did you get it? i have a A2 lower, i have wanted to take exactly what you have and cut the barrel down to a pencil profile and re park it... retro look, shoots straight :)

The complete lower is off my brand new DDM4 just so I can test the upper at the range on Saturday. So is the Bolt Group.

I bought it from here... http://www.gunnyssurplus.com/m16a1-up.html

$400

Picture from add....

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn77/willmaker6/yhst-13847541009239_2081_13774174.jpg

DB2
12-03-2009, 5:39 PM
Call it retro'esq. The good thing about it is you can shoot more than 55 gn ammo. The bad is it wasn't what you thought you were buying. You should call and tell them. If a another retro guy would have gotten that, they'd be ticked.

ETA: I'm glad you posted where it came from. I need 2 more of these uppers, and Gunnys is basically the only place that has them. I will not look there.

five.five-six
12-03-2009, 5:45 PM
you did end up with a much better shooter

KaTooM
12-03-2009, 5:53 PM
Call it retro'esq. The good thing about it is you can shoot more than 55 gn ammo. The bad is it wasn't what you thought you were buying. You should call and tell them. If a another retro guy would have gotten that, they'd be ticked.

ETA: I'm glad you posted where it came from. I need 2 more of these uppers, and Gunnys is basically the only place that has them. I will not look there.

I will call them just to let them know I did not get what I ordered. I figure I will keep it and build a cheap lower for it(beater gun) if it shoots good. The barrel does look brand new inside, and my DDM4 upper is 1/7 twist so same ammo will work in both.

:chris:

Chach
12-03-2009, 5:57 PM
Sucks you didn't get what they advertised. I ordered an upper from them a few years back and thought they sent me the one that was in the picture. ;)

Excellent condition w/ proper forging codes everywhere they're supposed to be. If I were in your shoes I'd be calling them first thing in the morning to let them know the issue. Though their sight is saying they're out of the uppers now.

aplinker
12-03-2009, 6:07 PM
You got a mutt.

I thought those uppers were just decommissioned M16 uppers...

The barrel is good. Is it gov't or HBAR? (thick or thin under handguards)?

KaTooM
12-03-2009, 6:16 PM
You got a mutt.

I thought those uppers were just decommissioned M16 uppers...

The barrel is good. Is it govt or HBAR? (thick or thin under hand guards)?

Pretty much...thanks everyone that replied.

Gov or HBAR? do not know, but will check it out in the morning.

I jumped on the deal because I thought I was buying a decommissioned M16 upper...

If it shoots good I will keep it and try my retro build again from scratch.

:D

aplinker
12-03-2009, 6:55 PM
Pretty much...thanks everyone that replied.

Gov or HBAR? do not know, but will check it out in the morning.

I jumped on the deal because I thought I was buying a decommissioned M16 upper...

If it shoots good I will keep it and try my retro build again from scratch.

:D

Decommissioned M16 uppers are just as likely to be mutts as stock.

Field replacements happen.

ar15barrels
12-03-2009, 7:41 PM
That looks like a DPMS receiver.

KaTooM
12-03-2009, 8:05 PM
That looks like a DPMS receiver.

I did check it out..all of there uppers have shell deflectors.

This maybe what I have...cant see the contours though.

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn77/willmaker6/Slide9.jpg