View Full Version : Panoche 11-13?

11-10-2005, 9:12 PM
Looks like I might be able to bust loose Sunday-Monday. Weather looks good, SUV is loaded. Anybody wanna go?

11-11-2005, 7:41 AM
I was just up there yesterday. It rained most of the day and the ground started turning to mud.
I actually saw life up there for the first time too.

11-11-2005, 8:39 AM
Can the terrain get pretty tough out at Panoche? Doe you need a lifted 4X4 to get around? Is it relatively safe to camp there overnight?

11-11-2005, 10:38 AM
The roads are generally passable by 2WD until the serious rain hits. You have to keep your vehicl on the road, or within 15 feet of a road when camping. It's pretty safe there, no animal threats. It's isolated though, and if you break down or get stuck you are looking at a serious tow bill. I have solo camped many times, but it's always better to go with a buddy. Cell phones usually work there, at least on the hilltops.

11-11-2005, 12:09 PM
After Googling, it looks like Panoche is also used by "amateur" astronomers. Found a sight that tells others that says its normal to see people shooting guns out there, LOL.
Looks like I have a 2.5 hour drive to get to Panoche. I drive out to Monterey on a regular basis, I guess I can make the trip a little longer to make it to the hills. 11Z50, you actually hit what I was thinking about and that was getting stuck out there. I have a Honda CRV 2wd and a Yukon 4wd. CRV is good on gas, but Yukon has the power, hmmmmmm.
I just need to buddy up with a fellow Calgunner from the East Bay to make the trip one day.

11-11-2005, 2:08 PM
Damn Toby! I work on Sundays. Sorry :(

11-11-2005, 2:37 PM
That's OK Rascal....see ya in Reno. I may just zoom up there for the day Sunday. Work reels it's ugly head Monday. The boss is pheasant hunting in South Dakota so I have to pick up the slack.

11-11-2005, 2:39 PM
I have seen some of the astronomers out there. Nice enough folks, to each his own. The only thing that bothers them is lights on so if you see any, just move a ridgeline or two away and they'll be happy.

11-11-2005, 4:53 PM
I have a Honda CRV 2wd and a Yukon 4wd. CRV is good on gas, but Yukon has the power, hmmmmmm.

Your CRV should do fine until the monsoon hits. I have a big ol' Dodge 4X4 but it drinks gas like I drink beer. I used to take a motor coach up there, but again, too much gas. Accordingly, I now use my spare car, the Suzuki Grand Vitara 2WD mini SUV. It can go all the way to Panoche and back with fuel to spare. It holds enough gear with the back seats folded down and does OK on the trails as long as it's not too sloshy.

Looks like I will be headed up Sunday. Gotta get some trigger time, and nothing else nearby is like Panoche.

11-11-2005, 8:11 PM
any SUV, truck or pick up will be fine up there. i wouldnt want to abuse a honda accord or lower sitting vehicle though. they would probably be ok but there are some decent ruts.

if you look through the sign up sheet you can see what people are doing up there. alot of astronomers and shooters :D

11-12-2005, 5:01 PM
I'm heading out in the morning for a shoot at Panoche. I'll be in a black Suzuki with silver trim. I plan to shoot all day and split around dark or so, so if anybody's going to Panoche, see ya there!.

11-12-2005, 7:10 PM
Was there today - great weather! A little windy for my tastes, but running around all the time chasing brass and such, it wasn't too bad. Only saw a couple other people - had my Calguns shirt on but when it was apparent that there weren't too many others out there, I took it off. Roads weren't muddy at all, only slightly dusty. No problems with mud or wet soil in the shooting areas.

I figure if anyone gets out there Sunday, it should still be pretty good.

11-16-2005, 8:21 AM
Anyone lose a dog at Panoche?

Buddy of mine snapped this photo while we were there. Notice the lost dog in the middle of the picture, bottom. Yours?