PDA

View Full Version : The Grip Pod System, is it a Viable Option for Your Tactical Carbine?

SMGLee
12-03-2009, 1:27 PM
http://photos.imageevent.com/smglee/clt2/huge/P1010635.jpg

For the longest time, Iíve been against the idea of adding a bipod to a tactical carbine or rifle. I thought ďwhy in the world do you need a bi-pod on a gun that youíre likely only going to shoot out to 400m?Ē Going to solid-braced prone, breathing and quickly placing a well aimed shot out to 400m is accomplished through practice. So, why do I need a vertical foregrip with an extendable leg that doubles as a bi-pod?

http://photos.imageevent.com/smglee/clt2/huge/P1010638.jpg

Quickly fast-forward to 2009, during a visit to a group of go-fast guys near San Diego, I saw this Mk18 SBR with a Grip Pod on it. I jokingly asked the owner when in the world would you have the opportunity to deploy the bipod so you can make a distant shot? The gun wonít even reach out that farÖ!!! He looked over at me and said ďletís do a quick qual from 50m against a 10Ē steel plate, with 3x magazines with five rounds each. We will time it and see who finishes first.Ē On the first try, I get smoked, but Iím not really surprised. After all, those guys shoot for a living and they shoot more rounds in a month than I could in a year. So he gives me a one-second handicap. Again, I lose. Then I ask to try this test again, now focus more on his techniques than try to beat him. I notice with the handicap, I am almost even with him to the five shot kneeling, but his start to even up the shot placement during the kneeling phase, and as soon as we hit the dirt during the prone phase, he just takes over.

http://photos.imageevent.com/smglee/clt2/huge/P1010647.jpg

My friend placed a GripPod on my M4. He gives me some pointers on how to deploy the Grip Pod. I practiced with this contraption a few times and made sure I was able to utilize it, and then we did the test again. The one second handicap was still in effect, but this time I was able to pretty much even up to his time. Thatís when a light bulb started to come on in my tiny little brain and I noticed that with the Grip Pod, I didnít have to go into the braced prone and position my body in order to gain that sight picture. With the GripPod, I was able to drop to the standard prone position with the Pod deployed and get right to shooting at my target. The red dot came right to my eyes, and the sight picture was acquired that much faster.

http://photos.imageevent.com/smglee/clt2/huge/P1010638.jpg

My friend told me he doesnít consider the Grip Pod to be a bipod, but more like a weapon stabilization device. He began to explain how the GripPod is more of a stabilizer that he utilizes as a VFG most of the time. However, when it comes time to go prone (and he said heís gone prone often in his time in the sandbox), he can utilize the Pod to help with placing a quick-engagement shot on target that might be 100m away or just a block down the street. The Pod can then be retracted with one hand if he continues to move or just leave it deployed. The Pod not only helps with prone shooting, but when placing a rifle over the parapet off the roof, a jagged wall, or any position that requires placing the rifle on a surface, he utilizes the Grip Pod to help with stabilizing the weapons platform. He even runs his MK48MOD 1 with the Grip Pod. Although GripPod makes a SAW/LMG (Squad Automatic Weapon/Light Machine Gun) version, he utilizes the standard military GripPod on his MK48. The Grip Pod displays its ability to enhance the weapon system even more on a LMG/SAW, as the operator no longer has to worry about deploying a bipod one leg at a time, or worry about the legs getting in the way while heís moving and shooting. He can simply deploy the Pod when he needs it. The rest of the time, the Podís fast-deploy legs are completely out of the way. Bottom line, the Grip Pod is never as intrusive as the bipod on the Mk48. Adding to the Grip Podís advantage itís relatively light weight, considering its internal components and capabilities. The military-version Grip Pod is actually 2oz less than a VFG with the quick-release attachment. His team even runs the GripPod on their RECCE rifles where it doubles as a bipod and a VFG.

http://photos.imageevent.com/smglee/clt2/huge/_EDT9278.jpg

Anyway, I bought a Grip Pod from an internet dealer; I bought the military-version Grip Pod with a steel insert inside the legs. When placed next to a KAC VFG, the Grip Pod is about an inch longer, but the overall bulk is increased, but nothing alarming, especially when compared to a Surefire M900, the GripPod is actually shorter in length and much lighter. The Grip Pod is only 6 ounces (6oz) heavier than a standard plastic VFG, but 2 ounces (2oz) lighter than a QD VFG. And, itís still smaller than a Surefire M900 in size. Iíve been utilizing the Grip Pod with a Surefire M600 Scout light on my Colt LE6940 carbine, lately. This package is lighter and more compact than a standard VFG, Light, and bipod combo.

SMGLee
12-03-2009, 1:27 PM
http://photos.imageevent.com/smglee/clt2/huge/_EDT9377.jpg

I would never have thought a Grip Pod would be required on a carbine, and it just looked ugly to me. But after months of use, Iíve changed my mind about it. The GripPod has grown on me. The more I use it, the more I like the capability and performance enhancement added to my lowly shooting skills. The Pod allows me to place shots faster when going prone, and its bulk seems to disappear over time. The Grip Pod comes in particularly handy when I shoot my 3 gun matches, as Iím able to move from position to position quickly and deploy the Pod whenever necessary. It is just fast, fast, and fast!

http://photos.imageevent.com/smglee/clt2/huge/P1010634.jpg

So, do I like it? For me, itís a mostly ďyesĒ answer. Iíd like to see if its design can be streamlined a bit more. Iíd remove the wingnut and replace it with another locking solution, since I grip high on my VFG and the wingnut gets in the way a bit. Not too often has a product that I initially disliked changed my opinion so radically, but the Grip Pod has definitely made a deep impression on my weapon setup. I wouldnít use it as a sniper rifle bipod, but on a short carbine, or even a perimeter rifle, the GripPod is a great addition.

The Grip Pod is a viable design and a definite performance enhancer for any type of dynamic shooting, including combat and competition shooting. This is evidenced by the millions of Grip Pods already purchased by the U.S. Army, Marines, Navy, and Air Force. The Grip Podís service-wide acceptance and acquisition history is also evidence that this is not a fly-by-night product. The Grip Pod, ungainly looking as it may be at first glance, is a product with a valuable purpose and bright future in modern military small arms deployment. Will I continue to use it? YES!

http://photos.imageevent.com/smglee/clt2/huge/_EDT9369.jpg

IrishPirate
12-03-2009, 1:34 PM
I love the idea of them! I think you hit it dead on with the "it's not a bi-pod, it's more of a weapon stabilization device" comment. It's a great way to have the standing/kneeling support of a verticle foregrip, and the stabilization of a bi-pod all on the same gun without the two interfering with eachother. I'm buying one when i build an AR!

Rule .308
12-03-2009, 1:49 PM
What about this one?

http://vtsupply.com/t-pod-vertical-grip-tactical-bipod.html

ProlificARProspect
12-03-2009, 1:56 PM
Nice write up, Never considered the grip pod before. It's sounds like the grip pod is the right balance between having nothing and a heavy bipod, gaining a stable platform but not compromising the balance of the AR by adding weight(ie. Bipod).

I run a Bipod only to get tight groups with my ACOG and Aimponts in a benchrest application.... running the bipod in a carbine course or any other competitive course, would be a PITA.

Good points SMGLee, i got to try it out.

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj8/ProlificARProspect/002-2.jpg

stix213
12-03-2009, 2:15 PM
I like the idea of it. I'll seriously consider it on my next tacti-cool rifle.

Jicko
12-03-2009, 2:23 PM
Kudo to SMGLee, once again, great review!!

Others: contact member paladin4415, he have "real" Grip-pod for sale, CHEAP!

Denver
12-03-2009, 2:28 PM
Well,

I found an authentic Grip pod on Ebay for $50.00 so no need to spend $150 for anyone who is looking for one. They are all over the place on Ebay for cheap, just make shure you have a picture of the logo to determine authenticity before you buy.
I installed a rail onto my standard CAR fore grip for it and turns out the device is many times stronger than than darn 2 piece fore grip. I feel like I could rip the 2 halves apart with my bare hands on the grip pod. I can't seem to get the free play out but that is another issue.

I took it to the range and noticed it seemed to slow down my target aquisition down a bit in other than prone use. The added swing weight was noticeable. I took it off and I was much faster. I think this is a but ugly but really neat device and I could see allot of use with it in the sandbox if I was there. I am still debating this one and right now it sits in a pocket in my rifle bag. I think I'll need a stronger fore end before I try it out again.

Since I have been deeply considering changing over to featureless I will not be able to use it at all anyway.

He so here's one... A bi pod is not considered an evil feature. Could this be considered a bi pod? Bi pod's fold up as well and you can hang on to them with support hand if you like.

Do VFG's really speed up target aquisition? For me so far they slow it down due to the extra weight.

SuperSet
12-03-2009, 2:31 PM
Very detailed review so thanks for putting that together. It's an option for 3-gunners although I don't expect to see many as most will opt for dedicated bipods. But for the military, definite uses!

fcr
12-03-2009, 3:32 PM
I am getting a couple. How do you determine if they are the real issue with metal in the legs ?

Jim_KT
12-03-2009, 3:40 PM
SMGLee, thanks for the review and telling your story of how you ate humble pie.

Not sure if you spoke to the same HS/LD group, but a good friend of mine forwarded me a picture of one of his friend's MK18s and they were all sporting the grip pods. I think even some of the Naval folk out here on center use them on their weapons. Although they don't shoot for a living, they are around some pretty nasty stuff and get dropped in the stink quite a bit.

Vtec44
12-03-2009, 3:48 PM
I have it on my M4replica and I like it. I primarily use it as a bipod though.

evollep3
12-03-2009, 4:16 PM
i love the picture with SMG standing on the rifle i like the grip pod like SMG said

(side note where did you get that sweater?)

Q
12-03-2009, 4:37 PM
I've been wanting the metal one. Good to know paladin has them also. He has a good price on kac ras kits. :)

Well,
I found an authentic Grip pod on Ebay for $50.00 so no need to spend $150 for anyone who is looking for one. They are all over the place on Ebay for cheap, just make shure you have a picture of the logo to determine authenticity before you buy.
There is one made in china for airsoft. The bolt or screw is cheap from what I read..

Russian version of the grippod.:D
http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n32/qbertquartz2/vladimir-grodetsky-b.jpg
http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n32/qbertquartz2/2664643.jpg

2nd Amender
12-03-2009, 6:58 PM
I have an all plastic one. Love it!

RobG
12-03-2009, 9:23 PM
I love mine. The grip itself has a great feel and girth. The bipod is a bit tall for bench shooting. What I really like is not needing to lay the gun on its side while either working on it or just setting it down. I have the metal insert legged model. A shop on ARFcom was blowing them out a year or so ago for 69.99.

pacrimguru
12-03-2009, 9:47 PM
great write up as usual smg. i'm sure you just single handedly sold a bunch of grip pods.

i'm wondering why not monopod your magazine instead? (of course that's after you first figure out that your mags won't malfunction by doing so.)

esskay
12-03-2009, 9:54 PM
Great write up & photos!

Just a note on competition use, for many 3-gun matches using this would put you in Open class.

fcr
12-03-2009, 9:56 PM
[QUOTE=pacrimguru;3447069]great write up as usual smg. i'm sure you just single handedly sold a bunch of grip pods.

I am expecting to see a run on them soon from the write up also.

Saigon1965
12-03-2009, 9:56 PM
Love mine - Tossed out the Harris after about 2 weeks -

esskay
12-03-2009, 9:59 PM
great write up as usual smg. i'm sure you just single handedly sold a bunch of grip pods.

i'm wondering why not monopod your magazine instead? (of course that's after you first figure out that your mags won't malfunction by doing so.)

Using the grip pod will be much more stable than monopoding, first because of its construction and the two legs, and second because it's further forward on the rifle.

That being said, a trick that many 3-gunners use (those who aren't shooting Open, because those guys can use bipods) is to cinch two mags together, then monopod off the double mags. That is much more stable than monopoding off a single magazine. In fact, even better is double monopoding off mags with Arrendondo mag bases. Doing this is allowed in Tactical Scoped class.

http://www.arredondoaccessories.com/images/fc25l4901itsel-1.jpg

lokmeup
12-04-2009, 12:16 AM
Well,

I found an authentic Grip pod on Ebay for $50.00 so no need to spend $150 for anyone who is looking for one.

The $50 one is the GPS02, it is made of plastic and is lighter.
The $150 one is the GPS01, it is made of aluminum and is stouter.

glockwise2000
12-04-2009, 12:32 AM
Got one a year ago and I love the product. I sold my Harris bipods.

missiontrails
12-04-2009, 5:47 AM
I have had 2 of the GPS-02 models. No complaints about sturdiness or function, but they are just too damn heavy for a small rifle (14.5-16 carbine type). Removed them and sold them in favor of much lighter stubby grips.

xibunkrlilkidsx
12-04-2009, 6:46 AM
SMGLee. i love your friends fuzzy jacket lol.

duraglock
12-04-2009, 7:26 AM
smg lee nice writeup the grip pod does have a place in the tool box. I had a gripod mounted on a pkm in Iraq and loved the setup. Using the grip pod instead removed weight from the old metal stock bipod from the front end and was at the right height for getting the small belt box off the ground.
http://i634.photobucket.com/albums/uu65/mcad33/RANGE28APR08012.jpg

doc1buc
12-04-2009, 7:31 AM
Outstanding photo of OP standing on rifle!

Manic Moran
12-04-2009, 8:06 AM
and second because it's further forward on the rifle

Not necessarily. I have mine mounted as far to the rear as I can whilst still getting my hand around the magazine or pod if I have to.

http://img33.imageshack.us/img33/4626/legionntm.jpg

I actually strongly dislike having a vertical handgrip, particularly if I'm shooting over the top of cover. Cradle the rifle in the palm in the usual manner. (This is, of course, just me). If anything, I use the grip-pod as a backstop to my hand. However, I have it on there because I have found it to be perfectly good to bipod it for many situations, usually prone or near-prone. When in such a mode, I hold it like a machinegun, with my left hand over the stock, between my cheek and the stock. I have had no problem with the fulcrum being 5" closer to me.

Perhaps neither the refusal to use the forward grip or the machinegun hold is the best possible for use in a 3-gun match or similar such event, but here in Afghanistan it seems to do me very nicely.

I am certainly considering a purchase for my SIG-556.

NTM

Barney Gumble
12-04-2009, 9:02 AM
SMGLee - Very thoughtful review and nice photos to accompany it, thanks for putting it together.

glock_this
12-04-2009, 9:10 AM
I liked the idea, but it is just to long for me. I have a carbine and small hands and as much as I liked it, just could not go for it.

I actually think this one is a cooler design and almost went with it, but same issue:

http://wholesalegunaccessories.com/wholesalegunaccessories.com/images/FAB-T-POD-2.jpg

evollep3
12-04-2009, 9:24 AM
I liked the idea, but it is just to long for me. I have a carbine and small hands and as much as I liked it, just could not go for it.

I actually think this one is a cooler design and almost went with it, but same issue:

http://wholesalegunaccessories.com/wholesalegunaccessories.com/images/FAB-T-POD-2.jpg

i have this one as well and i love it on my SPR the pro about this is for the way i hold my VFG this one is a lot more comfortable to me and the stance to be adjusted is a lot lower then the grip pod however the only con is that if you try to pic up and shoot your drill you either have to be very good at closing it or you can just close it like norm but risk of pinching your hand but if you wear gloves its no biggie.. :) i have a spare one brand new in the box if your are interested btw

glock_this
12-04-2009, 9:28 AM
i have this one as well and i love it on my SPR the pro about this is for the way i hold my VFG this one is a lot more comfortable to me and the stance to be adjusted is a lot lower then the grip pod however the only con is that if you try to pic up and shoot your drill you either have to be very good at closing it or you can just close it like norm but risk of pinching your hand but if you wear gloves its no biggie.. :) i have a spare one brand new in the box if your are interested btw

thanks... but too long for me. I have a GG&G bipod and the next bipod I want to try is the CAA. I did get one of the FAB defense VFG though

Mason McDuffie
12-04-2009, 9:39 AM
Great write up. I purchased my GPS a year or so ago and have still yet to use it. It just sits in my gun safe with all the other toys purchased and not used. This thread is a great reminder it is time I pull it out and knock the dust off it. Thanks man.

esskay
12-04-2009, 7:50 PM
Not necessarily. I have mine mounted as far to the rear as I can whilst still getting my hand around the magazine or pod if I have to.

I had written that in the context of comparing the stability of a grip pod vs. monopoding on the magazine, that's all...

Thanks for your service!

erik18
12-04-2009, 11:59 PM
This thread made me go into the safe at 2am in the morning and swap out my GG&G VFG for my grippod I had laying around...Hahaha

jaustin612
12-05-2009, 5:49 AM
I first saw em in Iraq, thought they were pretty cool.

I got one for my a4 clone that I just built. My first thoughts were that its a bit bulky, but I have big hands in the first place so that doesn't really matter anyways.

I love the spring loaded bipod, and theres no play at all when you have it deployed.

All in all I like it.

paladin4415
12-05-2009, 6:09 AM
The $50 one is the GPS02, it is made of plastic and is lighter.
The $150 one is the GPS01, it is made of aluminum and is stouter.

Not 100% accurate.
The GPS-01 when it was being made, was all aluminum and retailed for $375.00 a unit.
The GPS-02 is polymer, but has metal inserts in the "legs" for added strength. The standard retail for these is in the $150.00 range, but can be found for much less with some looking.

Group B
12-05-2009, 10:03 PM
Not 100% accurate.
The GPS-01 when it was being made, was all aluminum and retailed for $375.00 a unit.

Now they make a GPS-249, and the legs are still aluminum, but the handle is now polymer...what gives? Was the GPS-01 too heavy?

bombadillo
12-06-2009, 4:05 PM
So i'm not going into battle anytime soon, where can I find a plastic one??

run8
12-06-2009, 4:31 PM
I like the grip pod offered by CAA, it's polymere, but the Israelis got their sh*t together so I'm sure it will hold up quite well in a battlefield type enviroment, my only complaint as with most of these is they are too tall, than grip that is.

http://www.railsaroundthebay.net/firearms/IMG_1525.jpg

http://www.railsaroundthebay.net/firearms/IMG_1526.jpg

osis32
12-06-2009, 6:21 PM
everyone here always bad mouths caa. I havent tried their products but I definitely was dissuaded from purchasing any.

dwa
12-06-2009, 7:08 PM

http://img33.imageshack.us/img33/4626/legionntm.jpg

I actually strongly dislike having a vertical handgrip, particularly if I'm shooting over the top of cover. Cradle the rifle in the palm in the usual manner. (This is, of course, just me). If anything, I use the grip-pod as a backstop to my hand. However, I have it on there because I have found it to be perfectly good to bipod it for many situations, usually prone or near-prone. When in such a mode, I hold it like a machinegun, with my left hand over the stock, between my cheek and the stock. I have had no problem with the fulcrum being 5" closer to me.

Perhaps neither the refusal to use the forward grip or the machinegun hold is the best possible for use in a 3-gun match or similar such event, but here in Afghanistan it seems to do me very nicely.

I am certainly considering a purchase for my SIG-556.

NTM

Sir you need to get one of your NCOs to square away that fugly tie down or your PEQ. Shame on them for letting you walk around like that. :winkiss:

run8
12-06-2009, 7:22 PM
I dunno, probably political feelings from some, I hadn't been on this site for quite a while so I no doubt missed some of the anti-CAA sentiment.

everyone here always bad mouths caa. I havent tried their products but I definitely was dissuaded from purchasing any.

Jicko
12-07-2009, 3:35 PM
Not 100% accurate.
The GPS-02 is polymer, but has metal inserts in the "legs" for added strength. The standard retail for these is in the $150.00 range, but can be found for much less with some looking.

Like I said..... paladin4415 has some supply..... 100% real units.... <$50!!
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=247533

Sam .223
12-07-2009, 4:42 PM
i put a grip pod on my wife's OLL and it works very well, you can get on target faster, i was thinking about putting one on my OLL as well.

Group B
12-08-2009, 7:51 PM
Now they make a GPS-249, and the legs are still aluminum, but the handle is now polymer...what gives? Was the GPS-01 too heavy?

Nobody here knows the answer to this?

killshot44
12-15-2009, 11:40 PM
Use your Search-Foo

(Google: Grip-Pod)

WeekendWarrior
12-16-2009, 1:36 PM
My one complain is the overall size of the grip-pod. Clearly it is the right size for the application it is meant for, but if you shoot mostly at ranges I think it make more sense to get a harris bopod or something similar you can take on and off the rifle as you please and have a normal vertical foregrip. Now if I owned a SCAR, I would probably mount one of these for funsies.

Wow, $48 is a steal, I'll take one for that! hahaha

cal3gunner
12-16-2009, 6:03 PM