PDA

View Full Version : Tactical Knives

HK Dave
12-03-2009, 11:53 AM
Hey guys, I know this is not the right place to post this. My apologies. I figured i'd post here since it's where i post most often.

I've been thinking about getting into tactical knives.

Can anyone point me to some info?

THANKS!!

Merry Christmas!

till44
12-03-2009, 12:32 PM
Head to Usual Suspects Network, lots of threads there on knives, knife making, etc.

jawcn
12-03-2009, 1:05 PM
Head to Usual Suspects Network, lots of threads there on knives, knife making, etc.

STRIDER!!! :43:

sirnonz
12-03-2009, 1:12 PM
USN has a lot of info on knives. i wonder how many suspects are on here too. lol

Beendare
12-03-2009, 1:42 PM
Bladeforums.com

hitman13
12-03-2009, 3:40 PM
USN is a great website.

Bug Splat
12-03-2009, 3:50 PM
What kind of knife are you looking for? Folder or fixed? Do you have a price range?

SoCalRandy
12-03-2009, 4:13 PM
Bladeforums.com

+1 on Bladeforums, good variety of topics covering all the popular knife makers. USN is good but seems to be Strider (and Emerson) specific...

aplinker
12-03-2009, 5:55 PM
Fixed? Busse.

HK Dave
12-03-2009, 6:33 PM
Folder... want a semi automatic with good locking mechanism. Probably looking for two, cheapie and a mac daddy nice one.

Thanks for the links so far guys! You are the best.

aplinker
12-03-2009, 6:46 PM
Strider, Emerson, Benchmade (Axis).

SoCalRandy
12-03-2009, 7:46 PM
Folder... want a semi automatic with good locking mechanism. Probably looking for two, cheapie and a mac daddy nice one.

Can you be more specific on your price range? What's your idea of a cheapie and a mac daddy nice one? I have personally had really good results from knifesupply.com, they have a good selection and the lowest prices I've found. Also, try knifecenter.com and thebladeshop.com

zombieflanders
12-03-2009, 9:57 PM
im a usn member. its a great place to get you started. i'm curently rockin am emerson comander and keepin an eye out for a busse

B Strong
12-04-2009, 5:11 AM
1 Stop knife shop.

Daniel Hunter
12-04-2009, 6:27 AM
USN has a lot of info on knives. i wonder how many suspects are on here too. lol

:cool: you can count me...

chsk9
12-04-2009, 6:34 AM
Randall made knives. I'm old school I guess but I like the Gerber mark II, kind of the grandfather of tactical knives.

dascoyne
12-04-2009, 6:57 AM
Don't rule out Cold Steel for functionality. It's a really tough knife for the price.
I can't speak for their folders but their fixed blades are excellent.

I've always wanted to get one of the Extrema Ratio blades only because they look so damn cool.

Sillyguy
12-04-2009, 7:23 AM
my spyderco police knife is my EDC :D

MasterYong
12-04-2009, 7:41 AM
Benchmade. Everything less is garbage- everything more is unnecessary.

I've carried a 600 skirmish for about 6 years and it shows NO signs of wear despite opening 1000s of beer bottles, cutting wood, sandpaper, metal, plastic, food, gutting fish and other game, being used for throwing knife practice, and more more more.

BENCHMADE.

civilsnake
12-04-2009, 8:30 AM
I've been carrying the same Benchmade Osborne folder for about 9 years now. It has never failed me despite all the awful things I've asked it to do. Opening paint cans, using the tip as a screwdriver, using the knife itself as a hammer, cutting wood, cardboard, plastic, nylon, pvc, leather, etc...

And after all that, it still looks rather fetching, IMHO :D

It's not a cheap knife, mind you. But I don't regret paying $150-200 for something that I've carried every day and used quite often for almost a decade with zero problems or failures.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=39269&stc=1&d=1259947664

MasterYong
12-04-2009, 9:16 AM
I've been carrying the same Benchmade Osborne folder for about 9 years now. It has never failed me despite all the awful things I've asked it to do. Opening paint cans, using the tip as a screwdriver, using the knife itself as a hammer, cutting wood, cardboard, plastic, nylon, pvc, leather, etc...

And after all that, it still looks rather fetching, IMHO :D

It's not a cheap knife, mind you. But I don't regret paying $150-200 for something that I've carried every day and used quite often for almost a decade with zero problems or failures.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=39269&stc=1&d=1259947664

That's the one I was going to get when I got the Skirmish as a gift LOL. I used to have an original stryker but it was stolen. I really like the reverse tanto profile on the osborne in comparison to the tanto on the stryker.

cqbdude
12-04-2009, 9:25 AM
Check out EDC knives..

http://www.edcknives.com/vcom/index.php

They are top notch...

Also give Castro Valley Gun Store a call and ask for Evans..
He can hook you up..

And Yes....USN rocks...I'm also a member..

OliveDrab
12-04-2009, 9:31 AM
i am a big fan of Spyder Co. knifes there great! i was introduced to Phil Hartsfield knifes there really really high quality, but also really really high priced.

www.spyderco.com
www.phillhartsfield.com

i would love to have a phil hartsfield knife but i can part with my money as of now. my spydercos have been working strong for a few years now!

-Rich

civilsnake
12-04-2009, 10:06 AM
That's the one I was going to get when I got the Skirmish as a gift LOL. I used to have an original stryker but it was stolen. I really like the reverse tanto profile on the osborne in comparison to the tanto on the stryker.

I don't really know what a reverse tanto profile is, but I like the blade on this thing. I bought it because the Spidercos I carried in high school kept giving me issues and I really REALLY like the AXIS locking system. I can flick this blade out as fast as any auto-opener and close it even faster with a flick of the wrist. Another huge advantage IMO is the use of 3 screws for the clip as opposed to a single large one. For Christmas I just bought my wife's father a Benchmade Griptilian. Almost the same thing except it has a polymer casing.

MasterYong
12-04-2009, 10:19 AM
I don't really know what a reverse tanto profile is, but I like the blade on this thing. I bought it because the Spidercos I carried in high school kept giving me issues and I really REALLY like the AXIS locking system. I can flick this blade out as fast as any auto-opener and close it even faster with a flick of the wrist. Another huge advantage IMO is the use of 3 screws for the clip as opposed to a single large one. For Christmas I just bought my wife's father a Benchmade Griptilian. Almost the same thing except it has a polymer casing.

Well a tanto is the blade profile that katana swords (and some other blades) have. Basically two edges that are at a 45 degree (approx) angle to one another. It makes the blade tip extremely strong in comparison to typical blade profiles. What osborne did (though I'm not sure if he was the first) is he flipped the tanto profile upside down (as it is on your knife) and instead of putting two edges on the knife he puts one edge along what would traditionally be the BACK of the blade (reverse tanto). Flip your knife upside down and think samurai sword... you'll see it.

ETA: The reason the reverse tanto rocks is it maintains the tip strength needed for stabbing that the swords have, but you only have to sharpen ONE edge (sharpening traditional tanto blades is basically like sharpening two knives...)

MasterYong
12-04-2009, 10:23 AM
i was introduced to Phil Hartsfield knifes there really really high quality, but also really really high priced.

www.phillhartsfield.com

i would love to have a phil hartsfield knife but i can part with my money as of now. my spydercos have been working strong for a few years now!

-Rich

I don't see anything too impressive about hartsfield's work. The bio of him on the site doesn't even say he's a master smith. If he is he really needs to point that out- that's what the guys really into knives look for (it's what I looked for when I was more of an avid collector). It just says he's a "blademaker" which doesn't really mean squat. I mean, the guys making shivs outta toothbrushes in Chino could be called "blademakers"...

Hard to tell from the site though. Would have a better formed opinion if I handled one of the knives.

OliveDrab
12-04-2009, 2:04 PM
I don't see anything too impressive about hartsfield's work. The bio of him on the site doesn't even say he's a master smith. If he is he really needs to point that out- that's what the guys really into knives look for (it's what I looked for when I was more of an avid collector). It just says he's a "blademaker" which doesn't really mean squat. I mean, the guys making shivs outta toothbrushes in Chino could be called "blademakers"...

Hard to tell from the site though. Would have a better formed opinion if I handled one of the knives.

i was introduced to Phil and his son who run the company together, and handled a few of there knifes. there are extremely high quality. i also was not impressed by their website, but maybe you can go to them and handle a few in person.

everyone has their own opinion.

Rynu
12-04-2009, 2:46 PM
Can you be more specific on your price range? What's your idea of a cheapie and a mac daddy nice one? I have personally had really good results from knifesupply.com, they have a good selection and the lowest prices I've found. Also, try knifecenter.com and thebladeshop.com

My EDC is a Benchmade Mini Barrage and I love that thing. Axis lock and Axis Assist.
I've also carried the Japanese-made versions of the Cold Steel Recon 1, Gunsite and Triple Action and had no problems with those.

I would avoid thebladeshop.com like the plague. I placed an order with them for an Emerson CQC7 in September, They charged my credit card and I assumed it was on the way. I followed up about 2 weeks later to check status and get a tracking # and they told me it was on backorder and they didn't know when it would come it. Their website doesn't state whether anything is in stock or not so since they charged my card it seemed like it was good to go. I have since canceled my order with them and am waiting for the charge back on my cc. Doing a google search on them will show you that I'm not the only one.

Knifecenter.com has excellent service and has real time inventory on their site.

jyo
12-04-2009, 3:53 PM
Well, depends on budget
folder: Spyderco---almost anything they make is good---I carried my first one for 15+ years---still good, just went for a somewhat different model Spyderco.
fixed: Cold Steel model SRK---strong. sharp and pretty reasonable---if you want to spend less the Glock field knife is very good and only about $30 online. If you want spend some more, Fallkiven is terrific---check their website---buy online for best price.

C_1
12-04-2009, 5:33 PM
Give bladeforums a visit..

Benchmade and Spyderco makes good folders. Kershaw is not too bad either.

For a fixed blade, I like Kabar/Becker, RAT Cutlery, Fallkniven, and Busse.

Cold Steel makes some ok knives at great prices.

hellraiser
12-04-2009, 6:13 PM

i like kershaws... they work for me....

tacticalcity
12-04-2009, 6:19 PM
As cheap as I would go would be Kershaw...which is a great knife in its own respect. You can get a great price on a great knife with Kershaw.

High end I would say Benchmade, Emerson, SOG...

dvsdev
12-04-2009, 6:39 PM
+1 on Bladeforums. IMHO it is the best forum for knives. Too bad you can't use their search function anymore unless you pay for membership.

Spyderco and Benchmade are great companies with excellent customer service. Both of these brands have a collectability factor. Also look into Chris Reeve Knives, they have everything of the above and more.

Since it's 9 years old, I would guess Benchmade 942SBT.

kperry
12-04-2009, 7:10 PM
I'm a big fan of Kershaw - the Ken Onion assisted-open folders are great. Have two Chives, a Leek, and a Blur - one or the other of them are with me whenever I leave the house.

gadjeep
12-04-2009, 7:49 PM
Huge Kershaw fan here. I've EDC'd a Leek 1660st for 8 years and love it. I also have a Zero Tolerance 0350ST that I really like so far. One of the least known and best deals I came across is the Lahar. Great knife, crazy low price. Awesome customer service as well.

MicronuT
12-04-2009, 9:31 PM
http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/7306/img0332n.jpg

http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/5336/img0204jg3.jpg

http://img353.imageshack.us/img353/9704/picture0045dz.png

MicronuT
12-04-2009, 9:35 PM
is this the rifle section... ????????

civilsnake
12-05-2009, 11:07 AM
Since it's 9 years old, I would guess Benchmade 942SBT.

You're guess is as good an mine LOL! I walked into a shop with knifes, saw it, tried it, liked it, bought it. All I knew about Benchmade was that they existed, and I don't know much more about them now :D

Needless to say, I'm happy with the way things turned out.

hoffman259
12-05-2009, 1:21 PM
Can't go wrong with a Strider or Emerson.

HK Dave
12-05-2009, 10:12 PM
Awesome stuff guys!

After researching all the brands you've suggested, i'm beginning to lean towards a Benchmade Nitrous Stryker Model 912, an H&K Mini Ascender and perhaps a Kershaw Black Blur...

Oh boy... I think i'm going to end up like i did when I first got into firearms... this is going to get expensive and ugly.

Fobjoe
12-05-2009, 10:57 PM
I got a benchmade 580 Barrage. It's a spring assisted axis lock. check it

http://www.bladehq.com/item--Benchmade-580SBK-Barrage--3640

http://www.bladehq.com/images/knives/Benchmade/benchmadebarrage580sbkfront.jpg

Group B
12-05-2009, 11:10 PM
Death to Al-Qaeda!

http://www.graymanknives.com/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

One of my personal faves is the Kershaw Tyrade:

http://www.kershaw-knives.net/images/Kershaw-Tyrade-1850-350x350.gif

HK Dave
12-05-2009, 11:37 PM
I got a benchmade 580 Barrage. It's a spring assisted axis lock. check it

http://www.bladehq.com/item--Benchmade-580SBK-Barrage--3640

http://www.bladehq.com/images/knives/Benchmade/benchmadebarrage580sbkfront.jpg

Thing of beauty. You think the Nitrous Strykers locking mechanism is inferior to AXIS? People seem to really like AXIS.

50 Freak
12-05-2009, 11:39 PM
Personally I have a Coldsteel Trailmaster Carbon V and if I were take a one knife as a survival knife, it would be my Himilayan Imports Khukuri.

Old school but if it's good enough for Alexanders troops, it's good enough for me.

luckystrike
12-05-2009, 11:57 PM
centerfire knifes

GW
12-06-2009, 12:01 AM
Mad Dog ATAK II for fixed blade. IMHO the absolute best

Bechmade, Emerson or Lone Wolf for folders

River Jack
12-06-2009, 7:36 AM
My EDC is an Emerson Karambit. Not spring loaded or automatic, however with Emerson's wave opening feature, you don't need assistance. I think it is as fast (if not faster) than any spring assisted openers. I've used/carried one for about 2yrs now; opened tons of boxes/letters/etc. and the blade is still razor sharp. Very durable, functional and extrememly cool. My current go to blade.

drifts1
12-06-2009, 9:13 AM
+1 on Kershaw folder. I EDC the Blackout :43:

jrau13
12-06-2009, 9:29 AM

Right here! Same screen name.

Emerson, Stider. Can't go wrong with either of those.

ninjamaster
10-23-2010, 3:47 PM
Can't go wrong with a Strider or Emerson.

I agree. I mostly have Emerson's but I thought this pic was fitting for Dave's sn and hoffman's quote. Strider USN SNG and HK USP Tactical 45.
http://img52.imageshack.us/img52/6495/hksng.jpg

The Emerson CQC-6 is legendary.
http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/8646/rra6.jpg