PDA

View Full Version : firing pin, spring, and retainer for 6.5 Grendel

Grendel Guy
12-03-2009, 11:25 AM
Just recieved my 24" 6.5 Grendel barrel from Midway. It came with bolt without items noted in title. I'm told the bolt for 7.62X39 is the one used for the 6.5. Is this true and if so, are those componets different than the ones used for the 5.56? Thanks for the help.

Bug Splat
12-03-2009, 12:40 PM
It is my understanding that the pin and buffer spring are the same or are you referring to the plunger spring in the bolt face? I have no idea if the plunger spring is the same but I'd assume so. I have read that 6.5G brass can be fire formed from 7.62x39 brass so yes the bolt should be the same.

I'd imagine you could call Alexander Arms and ask them. I'd personally trust them over some guy on the internet with a picture of Cookie Monster shooting up cookie dough.

Grendel Guy
12-03-2009, 1:00 PM
It is my understanding that the pin and buffer spring are the same or are you referring to the plunger spring in the bolt face? I have no idea if the plunger spring is the same but I'd assume so. I have read that 6.5G brass can be fire formed from 7.62x39 brass so yes the bolt should be the same.

I'd imagine you could call Alexander Arms and ask them. I'd personally trust them over some guy on the internet with a picture of Cookie Monster shooting up cookie dough.

Bug, I'm referring to the firing pin, the firing pin spring, and the firing pin retainer clip. I sent an email to AA earlier, just thought there might be some one in the know here.

Bug Splat
12-03-2009, 3:04 PM
I'm not aware of a spring on the firing pin itself. It should just be floating. Are you maybe talking about the trigger spring? We are talking AR-15s right?

The only thing different between an AR-15 5.56 setup and a 6.5 setup is the barrel and bolt. So, yes the "firing pin, spring, and retainer for 6.5 Grendel" should be the same as a 5.56.

ar15barrels
12-03-2009, 4:09 PM
When you buy an AR bolt (JUST the bolt), it never comes with the firing pin, cam pin and retainer pin.
Those are separate parts.
When you buy a bolt carrier GROUP, that includes the carrier, the gas key, the bolt, cam pin, firing pin and retainer pin.

There's NO spring on an AR-15 firing pin.

http://ar15barrels.com/tech/ar-bolts.jpg

Grendel Guy
12-03-2009, 7:13 PM
Okay guys, I'm new to the AR15 world. After seeing Randall's response I know that I was provided what is normally provided and will buy the the necessary items. Thanks.

sevensix2x51
12-03-2009, 7:29 PM
When you buy an AR bolt (JUST the bolt), it never comes with the firing pin, cam pin and retainer pin.
Those are separate parts.
When you buy a bolt carrier GROUP, that includes the carrier, the gas key, the bolt, cam pin, firing pin and retainer pin.

There's NO spring on an AR-15 firing pin.

who makes that ar15 retainer pin? it looks pretty stout.

sorry for derail

ar15barrels
12-03-2009, 7:31 PM
who makes that ar15 retainer pin? it looks pretty stout.

DPMS.
That's how the really early (pre 1970) retaining pins were made.
That one is hard chromed.

C.G.
12-03-2009, 9:26 PM
Just recieved my 24" 6.5 Grendel barrel from Midway. It came with bolt without items noted in title. I'm told the bolt for 7.62X39 is the one used for the 6.5. Is this true and if so, are those componets different than the ones used for the 5.56? Thanks for the help.

CSS allegedly uses 7.62x39 bolts, but they are considered to be weaker by some. AA bolts allegedly are slightly more recessed.
Randall may want to shed more light, I am sure he knows the scoop.

ar15barrels
12-03-2009, 10:00 PM
CSS allegedly uses 7.62x39 bolts, but they are considered to be weaker by some. AA bolts allegedly are slightly more recessed.
Randall may want to shed more light, I am sure he knows the scoop.

AA bolts have a 0.013" longer headspace dimension.

C.G.
12-04-2009, 1:22 AM
AA bolts have a 0.013" longer headspace dimension.

Thank you, Randall. So far I haven't seen a number ever mentioned.