PDA

View Full Version : Bring family firearms into california

superdave474
12-03-2009, 12:19 PM
Hi,

I am a California resident, and am currently in the midwest visiting family. My father is giving me several pistols, and I was wondering what I need to do as far as registering them. Can I bring them into state on my drive home, or do they need to be shipped to an FFL? One of them is a 15 year old Super Blackhawk, and the other is an older (but not C&R) colt .22 single action.

Any advice from from the experts here would be appreciated.

Thanks

bwiese
12-03-2009, 1:17 PM
DO NOT TAKE POSSESSION OF THE GUNS. HAVE THEM SENT TO A CA FFL.

Otherwise, you will be violating Federal law: other than estate/probate situations, for Californians, modern guns can't cross state lines without going thru a CA FFL.

Have your folks bring the guns to CA or ship them to your CA FFL dealer.

kemasa
12-03-2009, 1:52 PM
Just to make sure that it is clear, if the firearms are brought to CA, the transfer still needs to go through a CA FFL and you can not be the one who transports them.

It is not just for CA that modern firearms can not cross state lines. Federal law prohibits firearms, with a few exceptions, to only be transferred to people in the same state.

CA only requires that you fill out a form (http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/oplaw.pdf), but as was said, the Feds prevent that.