PDA

View Full Version : Magazine question.

Dragunov
12-03-2009, 11:51 AM
Wow! I found two, 30rnd M16 magazines in my attic! They were in a box that I've had around since moving to this monkey-boy state in '88. The spring is broken in one of them. A friend in Indiana has a 30rnd he wants to send me. I told him to disassemble it, box it and ship it. I'll prolly use it to repair my old mag.

He will be sending it next week. Is this ok to do? I told him to hold off until I found out.

Nate74
12-03-2009, 11:54 AM
Parts are legal to ship.

Dragunov
12-03-2009, 11:55 AM
Parts are legal to ship.

Thanx!:D

MasterYong
12-03-2009, 11:56 AM
Should be fine. Just make sure that when all is said and done, that you never have more than 2 working full-cap M16 mags. All three should never be assembled at once (if you were to say, get another spring).

You may as well just have him send you the spring only though, if that's the only part you need. You might even save money on shipping that way.

Dragunov
12-03-2009, 12:03 PM
Should be fine. Just make sure that when all is said and done, that you never have more than 2 working full-cap M16 mags. All three should never be assembled at once (if you were to say, get another spring).

You may as well just have him send you the spring only though, if that's the only part you need. You might even save money on shipping that way.
Thanks for the advice, but if I dent the outside of one of my mags, I'll need a replacement. It's also a pre-ban.

MasterYong
12-03-2009, 12:07 PM
Thanks for the advice, but if I dent the outside of one of my mags, I'll need a replacement. It's also a pre-ban.

I'm not sure what's relevant about it being "pre-ban". The mags you already have you've had since before the CA ban, so you're g2g with those. The one being shipped wouldn't matter if it were "pre-ban" or not (whether you're referring to the clinton federal ban or the CA ban). You could technically repair your old USGI 30 rounders into pmags if you wanted to, so long as at no time you have more than 2 assembled full-cap mags.

Still a good idea to get the mag body while you can I guess- especially if it's free.

Free is one of my favorite words.

Dragunov
12-03-2009, 12:13 PM
I'm not sure what's relevant about it being "pre-ban". The mags you already have you've had since before the CA ban, so you're g2g with those. The one being shipped wouldn't matter if it were "pre-ban" or not (whether you're referring to the clinton federal ban or the CA ban). You could technically repair your old USGI 30 rounders into pmags if you wanted to, so long as at no time you have more than 2 assembled full-cap mags.

Still a good idea to get the mag body while you can I guess- especially if it's free.

Free is one of my favorite words.

Thanks for the info!

IrishPirate
12-03-2009, 12:16 PM
sounds like you got all the info you need, I'll just chime in to say that they're 100% right. I'm actually doing the same thing right now. Hope you can get them fixed so you can enjoy them!!!

lawaia
12-03-2009, 12:38 PM
As a reminder, make sure you do not use them in a mag-locked rifle. Must use them only in featureless or RAW.

MasterYong
12-03-2009, 1:07 PM
As a reminder, make sure you do not use them in a mag-locked rifle. Must use them only in featureless or RAW.

FANTASTIC point. Can't believe we all left that out until now...

No mags over 10 rds in a fixed-mag centerfire rifle, EVER. I think the only time more than 10 is OK is with tubular mags like on lever actions and you typically only see that kind of capacity in .22s. But I'm getting off topic.

For M16/AR15/M4 style rifles NO MORE than 10 rounds if the mag is fixed.