View Full Version : Clear Model Number Stampings

12-03-2009, 10:20 AM
So I'm logging an FN 57 into my book.. I look at the firearm and nowhere does it clearly state the firearm model number is 57 or 5x7 or Five-Seven.. are we supposed to just go by what we ordered/what the box tells us the firearm is? I know for the 5x7 it's pretty obvious, but how am I supposed to determine accurate or mostly accurate model numbers when it doesn't exist on the firearm at all? I would think this would come up with older C&Rs more often, and was surprised the 57 doesn't have clearer markings. I had thought it was a requirement by BATFE that a clear model stamp be on firearms?

12-03-2009, 12:54 PM
I would use the box if the firearm is not marked. The main thing is to be accurate, however you manage it.

I am not sure that it is a requirement or not, but it can be a pain.

12-03-2009, 7:20 PM
I could have swore it said FiveseveN on the side of it. Let me go look at mine.

Of course you are correct and it doesn't say. In that case, put just about whatever you think is right. I don't think the ATF is going to care. Plus they would have to go get the pistol you sold to prove you wrong and even then, there is nothing on the side of it, so what are they going to say?

12-04-2009, 11:04 AM
Leaving it blank would be more of a problem :-).

12-04-2009, 4:01 PM
Leaving it blank would be more of a problem :-).

Yes the ATF wrote me up for that on a 4473 on the caliber. That led me into a discussion about what to do if there was no caliber designation. They said all guns have one. I stated a S&W M&P15 lower doesn't and if it has a RRA upper, there will be no caliber designation. We agreed "not marked" would be best.

You could put "Not marked". I say stick with the 5.7 or Five Seven or FiveseveN.

12-05-2009, 6:58 AM
You could put "not marked" and the model from the box. That clearly shows where the information came from.