PDA

View Full Version : Aquiring a C&L License

alpenliter
11-10-2005, 7:07 PM
I have been reading in different threads about the C&L license. I know that it is a federal license allowing one to purchase collectable rifles over 50 years old without all the BS that one has to go through. As least that is how I understand it. But what I don't know is how I go about acquiring such a license. I have tried to do a search here and on several other forums, to no avail. Hopefully someone here can give me a clue where to look and what to do. Thanks.

icormba
11-10-2005, 7:21 PM
Here are the forms...
http://www.atf.treas.gov/dcof/index.htm

pick these 2 and they will mail the forms off in a couple weeks...

pick : F 5310.16 (F7CR) - Application for License (Collector of Curios and Relics) Under 18 U.S.C. Chapter 44, Firearms

and

pick : F 5330.20 - Certificate of Compliance With 18 U.S.C. 922(g)(5)(B)

follow the directions once you get the forms... you might have more questions then, but in the mean time... send away for them now.

BigAL
11-10-2005, 7:26 PM
I've only purchased 1 rifle with my C&R. The big reason to get it was the big dealer discount at Midway and Brownells.

EOD Guy
11-11-2005, 7:21 AM
Here are the forms...
http://www.atf.treas.gov/dcof/index.htm

pick these 2 and they will mail the forms off in a couple weeks...

pick : F 5310.16 (F7CR) - Application for License (Collector of Curios and Relics) Under 18 U.S.C. Chapter 44, Firearms

and

pick : F 5330.20 - Certificate of Compliance With 18 U.S.C. 922(g)(5)(B)

follow the directions once you get the forms... you might have more questions then, but in the mean time... send away for them now.

Those forms are obsolete. There is only one form now and it is not available on line. You can request it from the BATF Forms Distribution Center.

To receive the application either go to the Distribution Center Order Form (http://www.atf.treas.gov/dcof/index.htm) or call the Distribution Center at (703) 455-7801 and a packet will be sent to you via U.S. mail. If you e-mail your request, please provide your complete name and address address, the type of license you wish to apply for and a packet will be sent to you via U.S. mail.

pogo
11-11-2005, 8:01 AM
I've bought abou 70 with my license, YMMV, I didn't know about the discounts at Midway and at Brownells, I'll have to see what I can find there.

I've only purchased 1 rifle with my C&R. The big reason to get it was the big dealer discount at Midway and Brownells.

alpenliter
11-11-2005, 9:41 AM
Thanks. That was easy once I knew where to go. :) I have ordered the forms. Now the next question, I have also seen reference to something that Californians can have. I think it has been refered to as a COS. Not sure what that is or what it does, or if I want it or not. Anyone have information?

Mike Searson
11-11-2005, 10:47 AM
COE

Certificate of Eligibility - exempts you from the nanny state limiting you to 1 handgun every 30 days and the waiting period on C&R hansguns if you have a C&R permit

rkt88edmo
11-11-2005, 10:48 AM
If you are thinking of a COE, use the forum's search function with the word "eligibility".

icormba
11-11-2005, 10:11 PM
Those forms are obsolete. There is only one form now and it is not available on line. You can request it from the BATF Forms Distribution Center.

To receive the application either go to the Distribution Center Order Form (http://www.atf.treas.gov/dcof/index.htm) or call the Distribution Center at (703) 455-7801 and a packet will be sent to you via U.S. mail. If you e-mail your request, please provide your complete name and address address, the type of license you wish to apply for and a packet will be sent to you via U.S. mail.

What are you talking about? You provided the same link I did... these are the new forms listed on their site & as of less than 1 year ago this Feb, you did need both. And YES it is available online... you select it and enter your name & address and they mail them to you... just as I said above.

EOD Guy
11-13-2005, 7:01 AM
icormba,

For some reason, :confused: I thought you were refering to a site where the forms could be downloaded. BATF changed their policy a few years ago and took the download option off for the C&R application.

I have been told that the citizenship question has been added to the new application and that the separate form is no longer necessary. I haven't seen the new form so I'm not positive. I do know that it was added to the renewal application. Just to be sure, I would order both forms as you suggested.

Sorry for my confusion.