PDA

View Full Version : Bullet button temporarily removed question.

Lumpia is sarap!®
12-03-2009, 11:12 AM
I just sold a Prince 50 and awaiting on a Raddlock, because I like the feature that I can loosen the button when traveling out of state.

But for now, can I remove the whole magazine catch assembly to not allow any detachable mags on my lower to abide by the law? I also separated the lower and upper assemblies.

I'm I good to go? Thanks.

djleisure
12-03-2009, 11:13 AM
Just separate the lower from the upper until you get the new BB installed - that's all you need to do.

MasterYong
12-03-2009, 12:13 PM
Just separate the lower from the upper until you get the new BB installed - that's all you need to do.

I thought if the lower had a stock and a pistol grip on it (any evil features) that even if it was removed from the upper it needed a mag lock since the stock makes it a rifle (even without an upper LOL, these crazy CA shenanigans) and the PC says cannot accept detachable mags.

Does the upper being removed from the lower remove the rifle's "centerfire" status to make this legit?

IANAL

ETA: When I'm going to put an evil feature on a build (typically PG) then I always put the BB on first even though there's no upper attached. Is this overkill?

sevensix2x51
12-03-2009, 12:16 PM
I thought if the lower had a stock and a pistol grip on it (any evil features) that even if it was removed from the upper it needed a mag lock since the stock makes it a rifle (even without an upper LOL, these crazy CA shenanigans) and the PC says cannot accept detachable mags.

Does the upper being removed from the lower remove the rifle's "centerfire" status to make this legit?

IANAL

ETA: When I'm going to put an evil feature on a build (typically PG) then I always put the BB on first even though there's no upper attached. Is this overkill?

with no upper, it is neither centerfire, nor semi-automatic.

kermit315
12-03-2009, 12:18 PM
yep, that is how the .22LR uppers are allowed to use those lowers.

Just seperate until you have the new maglock installed.

DB2
12-03-2009, 12:21 PM
If your really paranoid, pull the upper and pistol grip off.

MasterYong
12-03-2009, 12:38 PM
with no upper, it is neither centerfire, nor semi-automatic.

Touché.

I guess I'm just really careful cuz the guy that showed me how to put an AR together did it that way. I don't think he'd put one together since late '05 or early '06 so was operating off the old super-cautious guidelines (for example he is still concerned about dropping mags at the range with BB-equipped rifles when it's cool).

shark92651
12-03-2009, 1:30 PM
Touché.

I guess I'm just really careful cuz the guy that showed me how to put an AR together did it that way. I don't think he'd put one together since late '05 or early '06 so was operating off the old super-cautious guidelines (for example he is still concerned about dropping mags at the range with BB-equipped rifles when it's cool).

Yeah, we still have those super cautious guidelines posted right on the home page of this website. They are the source of much conflicting information and confusion - odd they have not been updated despite multiple calls to update them. I'm sure the "right people" have their reasons though :TFH:

Greg-Dawg
12-03-2009, 1:34 PM
So what's the final answer?

Remove pistol grip?
Separate lower and upper?
etc.

djleisure
12-03-2009, 1:36 PM
Technically just remove upper from lower - anything beyond that is personal paranoia preference. ;)

The Director
12-03-2009, 2:35 PM
What do you think, a little light goes on at the DOJ as soon as a mag catch is removed?

A team is mobilized? What? :TFH::TFH::TFH::TFH:

stix213
12-03-2009, 2:44 PM
What do you think, a little light goes on at the DOJ as soon as a mag catch is removed?

I assumed the state attorney general got a text message with your GPS coordinates... but perhaps it is just a light :p

OliveDrab
12-03-2009, 2:54 PM
hide it in your safe and no one will bother you :punk:

shark92651
12-03-2009, 2:59 PM
hide it in your safe and no one will bother you :punk:

Advice to commit felonies is generally frowned upon here, in a public forum no less. OP, just separate the upper and the lower and you will be fine.

O8SERVER
12-03-2009, 5:10 PM
I just want to get this straight...

so technically (and I don't plan on doing this, just curious) I could remove the upper from a lower, take out the bullet button and install the normal mag release button and it would still be legal so long as I never attached an upper to it?

Plisk
12-03-2009, 5:13 PM

so technically (and I don't plan on doing this, just curious) I could remove the upper from a lower, take out the bullet button and install the normal mag release button and it would still be legal so long as I attached nothing or a rimfire upper. never attached an upper to it?

Fixed it.

djleisure
12-03-2009, 5:17 PM

so technically (and I don't plan on doing this, just curious) I could remove the upper from a lower, take out the bullet button and install the normal mag release button and it would still be legal so long as I never attached an upper to it?
Yep, perfectly legal. Who's to say you don't have a dedicated .22 upper on the way in the mail? Once it is apart it is no longer a "centerfire rifle" - it is just a rifle lower receiver.

O8SERVER
12-03-2009, 5:18 PM
Gotcha, thanks guys. Just making sure. Can't be too careful with all those CA laws...

OliveDrab
12-03-2009, 5:30 PM
It's not advise to commit a felony, but no offence to op, but the govt isn't doing random safe checks... Yet!

jmlivingston
12-03-2009, 10:05 PM
It's not advise to commit a felony

It sure reads that way to me....

Shark is correct as well, we do not tolerate any activities or suggestions/recommendations that are unlawful in nature.

John

MasterYong
12-04-2009, 7:14 AM

Dude a felony is a felony even if you don't get caught. Some of us prefer to be law-abiding citizens, not just citizens that happen to stay out of jail...

He just wants to make sure he's doing it right.

The Director
12-04-2009, 8:32 AM
Dude a felony is a felony even if you don't get caught. Some of us prefer to be law-abiding citizens, not just citizens that happen to stay out of jail...

He just wants to make sure he's doing it right.

What are you getting at, Yong? Did I advocate a felony or poke humor? Which of us don't prefer to be law abiding citizens? These are rhetorical questions.

hkdad
12-04-2009, 8:46 AM
if you have a .22 conversion just swap the bolt out.

MasterYong
12-04-2009, 8:56 AM
What are you getting at, Yong? Did I advocate a felony or poke humor? Which of us don't prefer to be law abiding citizens? These are rhetorical questions.

Humor always has a color of truth.

You were suggesting that if he didn't obey the laws that no one would know so long as he kept it in his safe. Not cool.

evidens83
12-04-2009, 8:58 AM
Just separate the lower from upper and be done with it!

The Director
12-04-2009, 1:20 PM
Humor always has a color of truth.

You were suggesting that if he didn't obey the laws that no one would know so long as he kept it in his safe. Not cool.

Where did I say that? Show me.

MasterYong
12-04-2009, 1:46 PM

Here ya go:

What exactly did you mean, other to imply (even in humor as you have already stated) that no one would ever know?

Either way I don't care anymore. Bottom line is you said it, not me. Have fun.

Greg-Dawg
12-04-2009, 2:17 PM
I'm sure the OP and the rest of us are law abiding citizens, but there are times when CA's beautiful gun laws get a grey area.

And this is one of them. Confirmed, Don't build it together. Just separate the lower and upper.

http://images.starcraftmazter.net/4chan/for_forums/in_before_lock.gif

lorax3
12-04-2009, 2:21 PM
Here is why a separate lower cannot be an AW banned by feature.

12276. (a) Notwithstanding Section 12276, "assault weapon" shall
also mean any of the following:
(1) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has the capacity to
accept a detachable magazine and any one of the following:

A complete lower is a rifle, however it is not a semiautomatic (no gas system) or centerfire (no upper) rifle.

As far as AW laws there is no constructive possession. Normal federal SBR possession laws still apply.

The Director
12-04-2009, 4:57 PM
Here ya go:

What exactly did you mean, other to imply (even in humor as you have already stated) that no one would ever know?

Either way I don't care anymore. Bottom line is you said it, not me. Have fun.

Go to hell. Your tinfoil hat is on way too tight and you're bandying about the term "felony" as if you know what you're talking about.

NiteQwill
12-04-2009, 5:41 PM
Can this forum please adopt the use of red text when implying sarcasm or "a funny." Most forums do it but not this one.

sevensix2x51
12-04-2009, 6:11 PM
Can this forum please adopt the use of red text when implying sarcasm or "a funny." Most forums do it but not this one.

yeah, that sounds like a great idea...:rolleyes:

get it? :D

NiteQwill
12-04-2009, 6:27 PM
yeah, that sounds like a great idea...:rolleyes:

get it? :D
Bravo! Bravo! I hope it rubs off on people... ;)

jmlivingston
12-04-2009, 8:25 PM
This thread's done. Like I said, we do not tolerate or condone illegal activities of any sort.