PDA

View Full Version : m4 feed ramps

garuda7
12-03-2009, 9:30 AM
I've never been a big fan of the barrel that came standard on my DPMS AR15. I want to swap it out with a daniel defense barrel that has "m4 feed ramps". I'm certain my receiver doesn't have the proper grooves that mate with the wider m4 ramps. Will this be problematic? I've heard from different people that "yes you absolutely need a corresponding receiver" and "no, it really doesn't matter and will function just fine". Can I get some input on this?

pacrimguru
12-03-2009, 9:46 AM
i believe the basic rule is:

Barrel w/o M4 not recommended with Upper w/ M4
Barrel w/ M4 can use an Upper w/o M4 Upper

but i think in most cases you'll be fine. can you just get a DD barrel w/o feed ramps?

wash
12-03-2009, 9:52 AM
You've got that backward.

You don't want an upper with M4 feed ramps if your barrel doesn't have them. It creates a little crevice that might catch the bullet tip.

pacrimguru
12-03-2009, 9:58 AM
doh! revised. the above info has been corrected. nice catch, wash.

garuda7
12-03-2009, 10:00 AM
thanks for the fast response guys!

djleisure
12-03-2009, 10:11 AM
Here's a visual from ar15barrels' website - you're describing the bottom right image, which is "OK".

http://www.ar15barrels.com/gfx/feedramps.jpg

till44
12-03-2009, 12:48 PM
If you want to make your "OK" set-up "good" you can always file in the M4 feed ramps on the reciever. You can have Randal at AR15 Barrels do it or do it yourself. I did an older upper I had using a file and 320 grit sandpaper. Worked great and really helped in improving the feeding of the gun. Only thing left to do is anodize the small ramps, although Colt had un-anodized feed ramps and Randall says it's not necessary, I'll eventually get to it.

Vtec44
12-03-2009, 12:54 PM
I have an okay setup and a good setup, never had an issue with either.

Beendare
12-03-2009, 1:09 PM
Doubt it will matters much on sporting guns but the guys who live and die by their weapon prefer the ramps for reliability

DDRH
12-03-2009, 1:33 PM
i've read, that m4 feed ramps might hinder feeding for heavier/longer rounds...69-77gr? true/false?

from what i see, it looks like it should feed better, right?

sorry for the thread jack

CHS
12-03-2009, 3:58 PM
Just get a complete DD upper for $599 :)

http://riflegear.com/p-669-daniel-defense-xv-complete-upper.aspx

ar15barrels
12-03-2009, 4:05 PM
I've never been a big fan of the barrel that came standard on my DPMS AR15. I want to swap it out with a daniel defense barrel that has "m4 feed ramps". I'm certain my receiver doesn't have the proper grooves that mate with the wider m4 ramps. Will this be problematic? I've heard from different people that "yes you absolutely need a corresponding receiver" and "no, it really doesn't matter and will function just fine". Can I get some input on this?

It won't matter.
Without feedramps in the receiver, you do NOT get the benefit of the M4 feedramps in the barrel though.
The NON-M4 Feedramp receiver negates the M4 feedramped barrel.

evollep3
12-03-2009, 4:08 PM
I have an okay setup and a good setup, never had an issue with either.

same here i bought a CMMG pencil barrel and it had M4 ramps and the ASA side charging upper i bought did not and i ran it last weekend and went through at least a 100 rds no problems