PDA

View Full Version : 3-9 optics, what distance?

1 SIG fan
12-02-2009, 11:26 PM
I just bought a Savage .308. 8 more days to find optics. I assume i'll mainly shoot at ranges like Angeles. What's max range there 600yrds?

I've been looking at SWFA SS 3-9x42. Has great reviews for a $600 scope. I'm wondering if 3-9 will be enough. I'd like to be able to make a long range hit but don't want to limit myself to it only... Any advice or comments would bve appreciated.

k3nnex
12-02-2009, 11:33 PM
probably not. From what I have learned you divide 600/9 and that's the yards you will be seeing. and that is really far away still

rksimple
12-03-2009, 6:38 AM
3-9 will be fine inside 600...and even out to 1k on 1-1.5 MOA targets. Quality of glass makes more of a difference than magnification, within reason. The new 3-9 SS is supposed to be great in that department.

MasterYong
12-03-2009, 6:43 AM
I have a Vortex Viper 6.5-20X42 with mil-dot reticule on my .308 bolt gun with an EGW 20 MOA base and EGW rings.

The whole setup cost me less than $600 from SWFA, and I think Vortex is still doing a $50 rebate on those scopes.

The SS has good reviews, but it seems like you get very mixed quality (based on the reviews) depending on which batch you get. I asked around on CG before making my decision and there were a lot of votes for the Viper.

rksimple
12-03-2009, 6:55 AM
The SS has good reviews, but it seems like you get very mixed quality (based on the reviews) depending on which batch you get.

The new Super Snipers are not like the old. Not even made in the same factory. They (according to early reports) are the real deal.

MasterYong
12-03-2009, 7:00 AM
The new Super Snipers are not like the old. Not even made in the same factory. They (according to early reports) are the real deal.

I'm fully aware of that.

I wasn't referring to the old ones.

There are many reports I found online when I was doing research on what scope I wanted for my 5r that seemed to indicate that quality was hit-or-miss on the new runs, and ALL bad on the old ones. There were a lot of reviews from folks in the last year or two having to send theirs back repeatedly for reticules that wont hold zero and other problems.

I have heard very good things as well however, and I'm sure SWFA fixes any mistakes that are made. I've had good experiences with SWFA.

rksimple
12-03-2009, 7:13 AM
There are many reports I found online when I was doing research on what scope I wanted for my 5r that seemed to indicate that quality was hit-or-miss on the new runs, and ALL bad on the old ones. There were a lot of reviews from folks in the last year or two having to send theirs back repeatedly for reticules that wont hold zero and other problems.

I doubt that. Even the old ones weren't too bad (spotty quality). And the new ones haven't even been out for what...a year? They're made in the same factory as Nightforce scopes. I'd be interested in some links to problem threads on the new 3-9 SS. Its the first I've heard of it...not that I've been actively researching that particular scope.

1 SIG fan
12-03-2009, 7:26 AM
Good input, thank you.

Sooo, say i go with a Viper. Is 6.5x too much power for closer targets making the FOV too small? I guess if it's close id shoot the .223 instead of the .308.

rksimple
12-03-2009, 7:29 AM
Good input, thank you.

Sooo, say i go with a Viper. Is 6.5x too much power for closer targets making the FOV too small? I guess if it's close id shoot the .223 instead of the .308.

Only if you're hunting. The Viper is not without problems however. I'll have to dig a little, but I've read of some reliability issues with that one. No matter as both SWFA's and Vortex's CS is quite good.

MasterYong
12-03-2009, 7:53 AM
I doubt that. Even the old ones weren't too bad (spotty quality). And the new ones haven't even been out for what...a year? They're made in the same factory as Nightforce scopes. I'd be interested in some links to problem threads on the new 3-9 SS. Its the first I've heard of it...not that I've been actively researching that particular scope.

You're gonna hafta look for yourself- also search around CG, some of the bad experiences were reported here.

All I can really say for certain is that I asked in multiple threads as well as started my own and the overall reaction is that for the money the Vortex is the better scope. I've used both (only owned the viper though) and I can say for sure that the vortex has better visibility.

And you can hunt with 6.5x- just not anything too close (like 50 yards, yikes!) but I don't find myself hunting anything much under 100 yards with a .308 anywho. Round here most of the critters that'll let you get that close would turn inside out from a .308 LOL

Most the complaints I've heard about the viper is that it's not made in America. I don't really care. While I want my country to succeed I don't really subscribe to the rabid American exceptionalism attitude that some others do. Vortex has a forever warranty like burris so it's not really a big deal.

Get the one with the features you want as both are good choices, I just prefer the Vortex.

Funny thing is, there are 100 other good options out there too and no one has chimed in with other suggestions. My own personal experience with optics is limited to about 20 different scopes and many of those don't have the magnification you're looking for so the only extended hands-on experience I can rely on to give advice for this kind of setup is something from the Viper series. They make one in 3-9 I think if thats the magnification you want.

maschronic
12-03-2009, 7:54 AM
i have a leupy 3x9x50. i know people will say that you can shoot 1k yards at it. well, they are true. however, i feel like that the 3x9 is good upto about 300 yards. if you are looking for 600 yards or so, i would get something 4x16 or so. i'm not saying that 3x9 is not good for 600 yards, i'm just saying that i like to look at my target a little more closeup. :) hope that help.

with this being said, all my hunting rifles are 3x9. if you are doing bench shooting, then i would go with something higher mag.

supermario
12-03-2009, 8:38 AM
I have a 3x9x40 and a 3x12x50, the 3x12x50 is soo much better for the further distances.. Its actually the Burris Eurodiamond 3x12 and its a super clear nice scope. I think it was almost $600 otd. Great scope though..

rksimple
12-03-2009, 9:37 AM
There are many decent scopes in this price range, but take advice with a grain of salt. Many here have never shot past 300 yards, nor do it regularly. For some long range equipment discussion, check here. (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=123) Look at some of the stickies.

Typically, when new guys come out, its their scopes that are the limiting factor. Not enough internal elevation, not zeroed/not able to be zeroed, not tracking, etc. The scopes we have seen out there work, and are tried and true are the Bushnell 3200 10x, Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14 MD, and the occasional Super Sniper. In the lower end price ranges, thats about all. Menaces have gone down, some Bushnells, a Nikon was DOA, one guy even had a USO DOA. But once you step into the 600 price range, take a look at Sightron. Good scopes, good glass, and reliable. From there, stepping up I would start at Nightforce and skip Leupold entirely. IOR stuff seems to break if you look at it funny and the higher end Nikons don't quite have the features I'd expect from that price range.

If you're serious about long range shooting, and want more than Angeles has to offer, come on out to a CaPRC shoot. You'll learn more about your rifle/optic in one day there than a dozen trips to the range. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

MasterYong
12-03-2009, 10:48 AM
The setup I mentioned was recommended to me by BigBamBoo, and he seems to know what he's doing in the long range dept.

There are definitely a lot of options out there though.