PDA

View Full Version : PPT fee question.

CavTrooper
12-02-2009, 6:22 PM
We know that the PPT fee is limited to $25 for the state and $10 max for the dealer. The $10 is not required, but merely a cap on what a FFL can charge. My question is, if I came into your shop to do a PPT, how much money would I have to spend on ammo, accessories, etc. for you to eliminate the dealer portion of the PPT fee.

I only ask because before I moved here Ive never seen a FFL charge money for transfers (mail/ups) and I find it somewhat odd that dealers go out of their way to elimate a potential customer base by charging outragous fees for mail transfers and charging anything more than REQUIRED by state law for PPT.

tenpercentfirearms
12-02-2009, 9:24 PM
We know that the PPT fee is limited to $25 for the state and $10 max for the dealer. The $10 is not required, but merely a cap on what a FFL can charge. My question is, if I came into your shop to do a PPT, how much money would I have to spend on ammo, accessories, etc. for you to eliminate the dealer portion of the PPT fee.

I only ask because before I moved here Ive never seen a FFL charge money for transfers (mail/ups) and I find it somewhat odd that dealers go out of their way to elimate a potential customer base by charging outragous fees for mail transfers and charging anything more than REQUIRED by state law for PPT.

You are confusing transfers with PPTs. They are not one and the same. Second of all, show me where a dealer charges nothing for bringing in guns on transfers. I have heard of them charging $5-$10 at the cheapest, but never nothing. Well I charge nothing but that is only if you buy a gun from me will I do your transfer for free. I always make $10 on PPTs. Well except for myself.

To answer your question, it is $10. I am going to collect the $10 on the PPT. Buy a Surefire light and I will knock off more than $10. Use cash for the best deals.

You can look at it as why should I sweat $10 and I can look at it as why are you sweating $10?

kemasa
12-03-2009, 9:31 AM
There are some places which charge too much for a transfer. I have seen it as much as $150. I think it is a mistake as it will drive customers away. I have never seen a place which charges nothing, except if they are ordering the firearm for you and is making their profit in the sales price. If the firearm is coming from another business or a private party then there is typically a charge for the service.

Seesm
12-03-2009, 5:31 PM
You are confusing transfers with PPTs. They are not one and the same. Second of all, show me where a dealer charges nothing for bringing in guns on transfers. I have heard of them charging $5-$10 at the cheapest, but never nothing. Well I charge nothing but that is only if you buy a gun from me will I do your transfer for free. I always make $10 on PPTs. Well except for myself.

To answer your question, it is $10. I am going to collect the $10 on the PPT. Buy a Surefire light and I will knock off more than $10. Use cash for the best deals.

You can look at it as why should I sweat $10 and I can look at it as why are you sweating $10?

I have to agree why sweat 10 bucks... How about supporting the dealer...? If you do not support them ...they will be gone soon. Btw they are in business to MAKE money... The PPT does not make money at all... $10 is peanuts for the time sitting there doing paperwork.

kemasa
12-04-2009, 11:03 AM
$10 is better than nothing and in fact it does make money, exactly $10, plus it also gets people into the business. If the FFL has nothing else to do (excluding surfing the web), it is money that the FFL would otherwise not get. If you own the business, you do not get paid by the hour. If you work there, unless you are paid on commission, you get paid the same money whether you work or not.

If it costs the FFL/person other money by driving more profitable business away, then it does cost them money, otherwise it does not.

But yes, it is best to now sweat the $10 and it is best to support the dealer.