PDA

View Full Version : PPT between 2 LEO's

SDProtection
12-02-2009, 6:16 PM
Just to cover my butt....I have a PPT (Pistol) between 2 LEO's. I am requiring their ID (CA and LEO) as well as residence proof. Will do the DROS and 4473 of course. Question: I am assuming no need for the 10 day wait as it would be an exemption, but do I need letterhead for that? anything else I need to think of/do?

Thanks all for any help!

GUNNER45
12-02-2009, 6:27 PM
From my experience, unless they have a letter they gotta wait...I did A PPT unlesss you have the letter LEO are not exempt.. Hope that helps

ke6guj
12-02-2009, 6:45 PM
The last line of this notice mentions it.Policy Change Regarding State Exemptions for Authorized Peace Officers

Effective immediately, peace officers who have legislative authority to carry and use firearms may, without a letter signed by the head of their agency or the agency head's designee, purchase non-rostered handguns and/or large capacity magazines. The peace officer must present a valid peace officer identification card and the dealer must retain a copy of the identification card on file. (PC 12132 & 12133). A letter is still required from the head of the agency to exempt the peace officer from the ten day waiting period. (PC 12078). http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/exemptpo.php

tenpercentfirearms
12-02-2009, 10:26 PM
They need a letter and it has to have specific verb age to be 10 day wait waived.

Their ID only exempts them from safe handling, roster, and large capacity magazines. A letter is required for 10 day wait waiver.

RHT447
12-02-2009, 11:49 PM
BOF dealer FAQ No. 34--

What proof of residency are peace officers required to provide to the firearms dealer?

Peace officers, including reserve and retired peace officers, may present valid credentials issued by a California law enforcement agency in lieu of the other required residency documentation. This consideration is given to peace officers who do not want to provide documentation of their residence address for security reasons and who otherwise do not object to having their credentials copied by the firearms dealer for inclusion with the DROS record.

(PC section 12071)

From ATF regs:

478.134 Sale of firearms to law enforcement
officers.

(a) Law enforcement officers purchasing
firearms for official use who provide
the licensee with a certification on agency
letterhead, signed by a person in authority
within the agency (other than the officer
purchasing the firearm), stating that the
officer will use the firearm in official duties
and that a records check reveals that the
purchasing officer has no convictions for
misdemeanor crimes of domestic violence
are not required to complete Form 4473 or
Form 5300.35. The law enforcement officer
purchasing the firearm may purchase
a firearm from a licensee in another State,
regardless of where the officer resides or
where the agency is located.

tenpercentfirearms
12-03-2009, 12:15 AM
BOF dealer FAQ No. 34--

What proof of residency are peace officers required to provide to the firearms dealer?

Peace officers, including reserve and retired peace officers, may present valid credentials issued by a California law enforcement agency in lieu of the other required residency documentation. This consideration is given to peace officers who do not want to provide documentation of their residence address for security reasons and who otherwise do not object to having their credentials copied by the firearms dealer for inclusion with the DROS record.

(PC section 12071)

From ATF regs:

478.134 Sale of firearms to law enforcement
officers.

(a) Law enforcement officers purchasing
firearms for official use who provide
the licensee with a certification on agency
letterhead, signed by a person in authority
within the agency (other than the officer
purchasing the firearm), stating that the
officer will use the firearm in official duties
and that a records check reveals that the
purchasing officer has no convictions for
misdemeanor crimes of domestic violence
are not required to complete Form 4473 or
Form 5300.35. The law enforcement officer
purchasing the firearm may purchase
a firearm from a licensee in another State,
regardless of where the officer resides or
where the agency is located.
Be careful on the no residency for the state. You still must get proof of residency for the feds if their DL does not match their 4473 address.

And then for the feds, the state is clear that all guns have to be DROSed. You can get away with it with the Feds not doing a 4473, but a DROS still must be submitted. At least that is the way I think I remember it being explained to me when we started. I just remember thinking, "I am just going to DROS anyway."

SDProtection
12-03-2009, 7:34 AM
Thanks all for the info. I was close, but needed your input to make sure to keep my butt out of jail. Thanks again!