PDA

View Full Version : Question about putting a shotgun under my name

iddie
12-02-2009, 5:57 PM
My father has passed away and he has had a shotgun which he has never shot. I do not even know when the gun was purchased. I was wondering if there is any way I can somehow put the shotgun under my name. Thank you in advance.

Purple K
12-02-2009, 6:15 PM
California is a community property state. If your mom/step-mom is still alive she can transfer to you.

iddie
12-02-2009, 6:17 PM
Thanks for the quick reply. So i can go to a FFL and do a PPT between my mom and I? And would i have to wait the full 10 days again?

CSACANNONEER
12-02-2009, 6:20 PM
You don't need to go to an FFL. Just fill out this form and amil it in along with $19. http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/oplaw.pdf

ChuckBooty
12-02-2009, 6:27 PM
I'm sorry for your loss. But yeah....do what CSACANNONEER said. You can take possession right away and send the form and the $19.

ke6guj
12-02-2009, 6:41 PM
YOu don't needto send in any forms.

Since the long gun is coming from your father, it could be passed to you as part of his will. Or, if your mother was the beneficiary, she can pass it on to you.

Intrafamily long gun transfers do not need the op-law form filed, and you dont need to send in $19 either. The shot gun isn't in your father's name either. Long guns aren't registered (except for AW and NFA stuff).

Note the op-law form says it is for handgun registraitons, and says in the instructions "Do not report long guns using this form"

You can do a Voluntary Registration if you want to, but it is not required. http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/volreg.pdf .

sirnonz
12-02-2009, 6:55 PM
what ke6guj said, rifles and shotguns no need, just handguns. and sorry for your loss.

iddie
12-02-2009, 6:59 PM
Thank you guys for you help. So to clear up everything. I dont have to do anything? just keep the shotgun.

cmth
12-02-2009, 7:10 PM
Thank you guys for you help. So to clear up everything. I dont have to do anything? just keep the shotgun.

Correct.

Dekker
12-02-2009, 7:11 PM
That and taking some pictures and showing us the shotgun! And of course shooting it.