PDA

View Full Version : Weatherby---South Gate, California

bubbagump
12-02-2009, 4:56 PM
I was just at Ammo Bros right now looking at their little used rifle round-cabinet.

They have this sexy Weatherby .30/06 with South Gate, California markings.

I remember seeing their ad in the 1969 Warren High School Yearbook (Roy Weatherby's son graduated from Warren that year).

I've always wanted a Weatherby with South Gate Markings...anyone have any experience with these older rifles? Were they as good back then as they are now?

X-NewYawker
12-02-2009, 9:13 PM
I was just at Ammo Bros right now looking at their little used rifle round-cabinet.

They have this sexy Weatherby .30/06 with South Gate, California markings.

I remember seeing their ad in the 1969 Warren High School Yearbook (Roy Weatherby's son graduated from Warren that year).

I've always wanted a Weatherby with South Gate Markings...anyone have any experience with these older rifles? Were they as good back then as they are now?

Better! Better wood. history.

1969 model, today:

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p54/Fasanoland/300wbyrocksprofile.jpg
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p54/Fasanoland/300wbybutt.jpg

bombadillo
12-02-2009, 9:22 PM
good lord thats a sexy rifle. Again!

supermario
12-02-2009, 10:11 PM
My dad gave me his 9 shot H&R 22cal revolver that he bought from Weatherby's back in the day.. Years ago.. I love that 22. Im gonna pass it to my son one day.

X-NewYawker
12-03-2009, 6:57 AM
Remember Weatherby was in Southgate until into the 90s (when the neighborhood just got too bad to have a gun facility) so it could be a Japanese made Weatherby, just with the Southgate address. I'm glad I got to go down there before they moved. I should go up to Atascadero and visit the new digs.

Californio
12-03-2009, 7:58 AM
They moved up to Paso Robles a few years ago and the new showroom is not as nice as the one they had in Atascadero.

bubbagump
12-03-2009, 10:39 AM
Remember Weatherby was in Southgate until into the 90s (when the neighborhood just got too bad to have a gun facility) so it could be a Japanese made Weatherby, just with the Southgate address. I'm glad I got to go down there before they moved. I should go up to Atascadero and visit the new digs.

I think I saw Japan written somewhere on the Rifle I saw...

Where were the older ones made?

chuckdc
12-03-2009, 12:16 PM
I think I saw Japan written somewhere on the Rifle I saw...

Where were the older ones made?

Before Weatherby went with Howa over in Japan, they had the guns made in (West) Germany. Think it was Sauer that was making them, but I'm not positive of that. My sister has a German-made Mk V .300 Weatherby Mag that I found for her on GunsAmerica a few years back.(what can I say.. she lives in Alaska, and likes guns. it must be genetic :D)

BRUNO1911
12-03-2009, 12:37 PM
Ahhhh..... WEATHERBY Southgate! I remember going there and just walk around like a kid in a toy store.Anyone remember all the BIG STUFF DANGEROUS GAME they had there? Loved the place I would also swing by PACHMAYR GUN WORKS on S.Grand in L.A. and who could forget B&B GUNS in N.Hollywood/Westminster and PONY EXPRESS in San Fernando! Okay I'm sorry if I went of topic,just couldn't resist memory lane/old age.
BRUNO1911

gn3hz3ku1*
12-03-2009, 1:07 PM
it's funny how the state with the worst laws used to have so many importers/manf

bubbagump
12-03-2009, 1:55 PM
Ahhhh..... WEATHERBY Southgate! I remember going there and just walk around like a kid in a toy store.Anyone remember all the BIG STUFF DANGEROUS GAME they had there? Loved the place I would also swing by PACHMAYR GUN WORKS on S.Grand in L.A. and who could forget B&B GUNS in N.Hollywood/Westminster and PONY EXPRESS in San Fernando! Okay I'm sorry if I went of topic,just couldn't resist memory lane/old age.
BRUNO1911

I remember seeing a Giraffe in the ad in the back of the yearbook...