PDA

View Full Version : What's it cost to get your CA FFL?

trob
12-02-2009, 10:57 AM
Im trying to figure out the procedure in getting my FFL and can't find definite facts about taking the steps.

Mainly want to know how much it costs, and how do I obtain one.

Any help pointing me in the right direction would be appreciated

Thanks!

kemasa
12-02-2009, 11:23 AM
You need to check with your local city/county to see what they charge and the requirements. It all depends on where you live and what they require. LA County will not allow a home based business that requires people to come to the business, unless you live in a city which allows it. You will need a seller's permit, which is free (CA BOE).

The FFL costs $200 for the first three years and $30 for every three years after that.

TripleT
12-02-2009, 11:51 AM
You need to check with your local city/county to see what they charge and the requirements. It all depends on where you live and what they require. LA County will not allow a home based business that requires people to come to the business, unless you live in a city which allows it. You will need a seller's permit, which is free (CA BOE).

The FFL costs $200 for the first three years and $30 for every three years after that.

Assuming you will want to actually sell firearms (which is technically a requirement), there are a lot more costs than the 200 for the FFL.

Certificate of Eligibility from CA DOJ which requires live scan fingerprinting = $.

Cal. Firearms Dealer License from CA DOJ = more $.

City or County will usually want you to pay for a Firearms Dealer License of some kind. There is no standard fee for this but it is usually more $.

If you want to sell handguns, you'll need your HSC instructors license (training required) and you'll need to buy some HSC's = more $.

If you start here http://www.ag.ca.gov/firearms/ and work through the links, you'll get a good idea of the costs associated with the list of things above.

The FFL itself (from the BATF) is pretty straight forward, the local and state stuff takes the most time and effort. IMHO

Some jurisdictions prohibit firearms sales per zoning law, so your local planning department is the place to start.

Plan on a few months to pull it all together and get fingerprinting, interviews, etc. all done.

Don't want to discourage you as we need all the FFL's we can get but do some research and know what your in for.

kemasa
12-02-2009, 12:03 PM
I did mentioned that there was additional charges. There is also the cost of insurance (which is most likely the most expensive thing), a safe, business cards, advertising, etc.

The bottom line is that it is expensive and time consuming.

eltee
12-02-2009, 12:28 PM
The two most expensive items might be hardening your house / store (locks, gates, bars, safe, alarm, etc.) and insurance. Some suggest incorporating or forming an LLC.