PDA

View Full Version : Windows Server 2008 Standard vs Ubuntu Server 9.10

NSR500
12-01-2009, 11:44 PM
Anybody want to chime in on these two server OS?

I've been using Ubuntu, but have not played with Windows Server 2008 yet. I have made the decision to move one machine in my herd over to Windows 7, so I figured I setup a Windows 2008 server as well.
Still not working so I've gotta stay busy and try to keep the mind sharp. :D

Anything the Windows Server 2008 does better than Ubuntu Server now that Ubuntu supports LDAP as well?

whobob
12-01-2009, 11:50 PM
You can't beat Ubuntu when it's free.

bigmike82
12-01-2009, 11:51 PM
Server 2k8 is very, very nice.

Stable as hell. But the single biggest most important aspect of the 2k8 line is....

HyperV. It's free. It runs very well. It will allow you to max out your hardware specs. It gives you an outstanding platform to test and experiment without worrying about screwing up a production box.

That...and if you're looking for future work, you'll want to be current on 2k8. The demand for people who know MS servers *well* is greater than the demand for people who know ubuntu well.

That said. With 2k8, you can run both windows...and ubuntu...on the same box. At the same time. You can also run different flavors of 'nix and get to know the idiosyncracies of the various server distros, which enhances your marketability.

Yeah, you can virtualize on ubuntu for free using Xen, VirtualBox or VMWare server. All three of which require installing different programs (as opposed to installing a core feature). In Xen's case, you'll need to get the special Xen-enabled kernel. VMWare server is a good bet, and free, but when I used it last, creating VMs was somewhat of a pain (it's been a long time...back when I used it, you need to create VMs in a paid product, suck as VMW Workstation).

To make a long post short...I'd go with server 2008. :)

bigmike82
12-01-2009, 11:53 PM
OH. If you're worried about cost...sign up at a community college, get yourself a .edu email, and sign up for dreamspark. The amount of colleges that are registered with DS is limited...but Santa Monica was there, so you should be able to find something. If you start registering, you can get to the list of participating institutions.

Dreamspark provides you with *free* copies of Server 2k8 R2, R1 and 2003, among other things. It's for educational use, which is precisely what you want it for.

NSR500
12-02-2009, 12:09 AM
OH. If you're worried about cost...sign up at a community college, get yourself a .edu email, and sign up for dreamspark. The amount of colleges that are registered with DS is limited...but Santa Monica was there, so you should be able to find something. If you start registering, you can get to the list of participating institutions.

Dreamspark provides you with *free* copies of Server 2k8 R2, R1 and 2003, among other things. It's for educational use, which is precisely what you want it for.

Yup!

This is exactly why I brought up the topic this evening. My buddy who got laid off too went back to school to get his Masters Degree. He just got some software off of dreamspark and was telling me to do the same. I've just got to find a school in the program and sign up.
The other good thing about going back to school is the discount on the student copies of Solidworks, and the other ME type titles. ;)