PDA

View Full Version : Need a shopping list for a AR-15(s)

sreiter
12-01-2009, 8:49 PM
OK, so I'm close to completing two builds.

completed lower consisting of;
Stag lower
JP LPK
JP single stage trigger
JP Complete Fire Control System
Ace arfx skeleton stock,
JP standard buffer tube, spring, buffer
Hogue grip

compete JP-15 upper (A4)
20" 1:8 twist
JP compensator
lower profile adjustable gas block (JP)
JP full mass tac BCG
Vtac hand guard
full lenth rail.

for this build I need optic's...thinking of fixed scope. 600 meters?
mount and rings (LaRue?)

Maybe BUIS Troy (which ones??)
BiPod (harris? which one?)
Maybe change to a more "sniper" type stock. (which one?)
Sling swivels?
Sling?

anything else i'm missing?

Build 2.

RRA Lower (still stripped)
RRA LPK (standard)
Complete BCM middy upper
BCM Auto BCG
Daniel Defense full length quad rail

needed:
i want to go desert tan, but might settle for FDE
Rail guards (rubber) suggestions?
front grip (suggestions)
thinking of LMT Sopmod stock
buffer,tube,spring(suggestions?)

optics...(x-eye dominant) not sure if i can use a aimpoint CompM4(s) but thats how i'm leaning) suggestions? Agog? ACOG with an Aimpoint T1 Micro all mounted on a Larue combo mount? Schmidt & Bender Short Dot 1.1-4x scope?? (just kidding)

mount?
sling swivel?
BUIS - troy?

what else???

i'm thinking vickers slings?

I need to go shopping THIS weekend...a friend can get me really good deals at the phoenix show

thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Phil3
12-01-2009, 10:56 PM
You are building rifles with lots of equipment I am not totally familiar with, but did see there are no magazines included. Harris bipod with notched legs in 6" - 9" is fine for bench use. Get swivel model for uneven ground. Sniper stock favorite is Magpul PRS, but not collapsible. Heavy as well. Good scope is Bushnell 426245T tactical, 6 - 24 x 50. It can be had for as little as about $550 from Liberty Optics. This uses a 30mm tube. I like the Armalite scope mount, but it is low, so be forewarned, and will almost certainly mean you can not use backup sights with the scope so low.

- Phil

sreiter
12-02-2009, 7:25 AM
thx Phil.

Anyone else?

high_revs
12-02-2009, 8:16 AM
generically speaking on both...i have one of those notched harris bipods. i love it. maybe not quite as precise as the non-notched ones, but i'm just a bench shooter. or you can go more expensive route like tango and stuff. if you're going to put a bipod on the shorter build, i'd get a larue or american defense mfr bipod rail mount. i just share the bipod now across my railed systems. quick detach too. a little more investment, but you only need 1 bipod unlesss you want to remove and reinstall all the time across rifles, or put a dedicated one on each.

irons.. take your pic. i have troy and midwest industries. i like them both. i do have the newer midwest one that's very low profile. do a search for that here as that was just posted about 2 months ago, i.e. the heights when folded of each mfr. on the iron sights, try out the new rear sight troy has (just to be different). the peep hole is a diamond shape but can't recall the name. i'd also put tritium on the front sight (troy offers) just again to be different, unless you want some kns ones with a cross instead of just a post.

lmt is the way to go (i have ubrs but i'm getting that for my next build). but i'd ask around or look at the rifles gallery if someone has a fde lmt sopmod so you can ask which other mfr's match that color for your mag, rail covers or rail guards. i want magpul all the way to make sure though i still need my rail covers/guards.

grips... i regret my magpul moe. just as stiff as the stocker. but i wanted a color match and that was cheapest. i would've gone for ergo or miad though had i known. i also have a hogue and i like it.

gun toting monkeyboy
12-02-2009, 9:42 AM
Did you remember gas tubes and gas tube roll pins? You list one complete upper, but make no mention of the tube for the second one. Also, you list the following:
JP LPK
JP single stage trigger

You do realize that if you buy all those you are getting 3 different triggers and a bunch of other duplicate parts, right? I mean, if you have money to burn, go for it. But you can only use one of most of those in the gun at a time... Why don't you go to one of the exploded parts diagrams available online, and print it out to use as a check off list. It is easier to do it that way than trying to remember if you thought of this part or that part once you are at the show. If you have different parts that replace several of the standard parts, such as the handguard replacing the delta ring, barrel nut and other handguard pieces, cross them off you list, and make a note of that. If you do your check list right, you won't get home from the show and think "Damn, I forgot the detent pin." or "Crud, I didn't remember the..."

-Mb

aplinker
12-02-2009, 10:14 AM
the OP makes me dizzy.

Arteel
12-02-2009, 11:09 AM
The BCM comes installed with a gas tube.

Did you remember gas tubes and gas tube roll pins? You list one complete upper, but make no mention of the tube for the second one. Also, you list the following:
JP LPK
JP single stage trigger

You do realize that if you buy all those you are getting 3 different triggers and a bunch of other duplicate parts, right? I mean, if you have money to burn, go for it. But you can only use one of most of those in the gun at a time... Why don't you go to one of the exploded parts diagrams available online, and print it out to use as a check off list. It is easier to do it that way than trying to remember if you thought of this part or that part once you are at the show. If you have different parts that replace several of the standard parts, such as the handguard replacing the delta ring, barrel nut and other handguard pieces, cross them off you list, and make a note of that. If you do your check list right, you won't get home from the show and think "Damn, I forgot the detent pin." or "Crud, I didn't remember the..."

-Mb

Rukus
12-02-2009, 3:58 PM
Maybe you have these include already in your LPK's but I didnt see any maglocks included. DO NOT forget those!

sreiter
12-02-2009, 8:45 PM
generically speaking on both...i have one of those notched harris bipods. i love it. maybe not quite as precise as the non-notched ones, but i'm just a bench shooter. or you can go more expensive route like tango and stuff. if you're going to put a bipod on the shorter build, i'd get a larue or american defense mfr bipod rail mount. i just share the bipod now across my railed systems. quick detach too. a little more investment, but you only need 1 bipod unlesss you want to remove and reinstall all the time across rifles, or put a dedicated one on each.

irons.. take your pic. i have troy and midwest industries. i like them both. i do have the newer midwest one that's very low profile. do a search for that here as that was just posted about 2 months ago, i.e. the heights when folded of each mfr. on the iron sights, try out the new rear sight troy has (just to be different). the peep hole is a diamond shape but can't recall the name. i'd also put tritium on the front sight (troy offers) just again to be different, unless you want some kns ones with a cross instead of just a post.

lmt is the way to go (i have ubrs but i'm getting that for my next build). but i'd ask around or look at the rifles gallery if someone has a fde lmt sopmod so you can ask which other mfr's match that color for your mag, rail covers or rail guards. i want magpul all the way to make sure though i still need my rail covers/guards.

grips... i regret my magpul moe. just as stiff as the stocker. but i wanted a color match and that was cheapest. i would've gone for ergo or miad though had i known. i also have a hogue and i like it.

great stuff - thx

sreiter
12-02-2009, 8:54 PM
Did you remember gas tubes and gas tube roll pins? You list one complete upper, but make no mention of the tube for the second one.

from my post:
Complete BCM middy upper
compete JP-15 upper

is there something i'm missing? I'm familiar with the gas tubes (which comes with the gas tube, but not the roll pins. do the attach the tube to the gas block? if so, then i'm ok, as i bought both uppers complete w/bcg's

Also, you list the following:
JP LPK
JP single stage trigger

You do realize that if you buy all those you are getting 3 different triggers and a bunch of other duplicate parts, right? I mean, if you have money to burn, go for it. But you can only use one of most of those in the gun at a time...

Hmm... I could have worded all that better, i just wanted to list all my goodies. I sent the lower to JP, so i only bought and they only put in whats needed...sorry for the confusion.

Thx for the response. Had i made the mistakes you thought i made, it certainly would have been very valuable info

sreiter
12-02-2009, 8:56 PM
the OP makes me dizzy.

Why - couldnt you follow my parts list, or my gear is some unbelievable that you're dizzy

sreiter
12-02-2009, 9:03 PM
Maybe you have these include already in your LPK's but I didnt see any maglocks included. DO NOT forget those!

:eek::D:D:D:D yeah, i have BB's.....lol but no mag's