PDA

View Full Version : If you get in trouble with the law for your guns - PLEASE contact CGF

oaklander
12-01-2009, 9:32 PM
Folks, if you get arrested or cited for your LEGAL weapons, PLEASE CONTACT CGF.

There have been several recent cases where people have not contacted us, and/or have decided to rely on local counsel or public defenders.

If the case is appropriate, we can work WITH your local counsel or public defender to make sure that you get the best representation possible and that your counsel is educated as to your gun rights. We do this at no charge as part of our mission as a non-profit.

In certain cases, we will even have our own attorneys represent you.

If you are concerned about attorney/client confidences being breached, you may contact ME, as I am a licensed attorney and everything you say to me will be kept in confidence.

Remember, we can't help you unless you reach out to us.

To contact us, PM any of the board members such as Kestryll, Ivanimal, Bwiese, Hoffmang, etc. . . OR PM me.

ETA: You may also email the CGF Hotline at hotline@calgunsfoundation.org -- or use the confidential form at http://www.calgunsfoundation.org/hotline.

PLEASE NOTE THAT THE BUSINESS CARDS THAT BOXBRO MADE ARE AWESOME - HERE'S A LINK TO THEM:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=41063&d=1261674969

It is very important that there continue to be NO SUCCESSFUL OLL PROSECUTIONS IN CALIFORNIA.

bodger
12-01-2009, 9:37 PM
Good to know Oak. Thank you.

oaklander
12-01-2009, 9:42 PM
No problem! Make sure all your shooting friends know this too!!!

:)

Good to know Oak. Thank you.

mecam
12-01-2009, 9:52 PM
Bravo CGF, will make a Christmas donation next pay day.

Letitrip
12-01-2009, 9:53 PM
I hope it never comes down to it. But if it happens, I will be contacting you. Thank you! :D

G17GUY
12-01-2009, 10:01 PM
+1, thanks to the CGF and the lawyers that make it all happen!

Lone_Gunman
12-01-2009, 10:11 PM
Thanks Oak. I hope I never have to use the number or the email but props for putting it out there.

-LG

cbn620
12-01-2009, 10:51 PM
Awesome. Man, we need like a business card or something we can stick in our wallets.

OHOD
12-01-2009, 10:53 PM
Should this be a sticky or is it posted somewhere else?

louscamaro91
12-01-2009, 11:17 PM
Wow, This is such a great thing to do. I respect and appreciate this very much as does everyone else here!! This Calguns is the best thing since sliced bread! Way to go stand-up guys here. Now we need to get more people to donate to this great organization to help out these guys that are willing to put all the time/sweat to build this site into what it has become and more.

AndrewMendez
12-01-2009, 11:30 PM
I am in big trouble now! I cant stop buying ammo, and I have a terrible obsession with needing to own more firearms then anyone I know!!! Help???

Richie Caketown
12-02-2009, 12:30 AM
Awesome. Man, we need like a business card or something we can stick in our wallets.

+1 to this idea

kcbrown
12-02-2009, 12:32 AM
This thread should be stickied, methinks...

bigmike82
12-02-2009, 12:56 AM
Thanks Oaklander. It's great to know that CGF is out there for these cases. :)

nicki
12-02-2009, 12:57 AM
I realize Calguns is a California organization, but we have a few people from other states.

Perhaps it would be good to know how many people are from other states because everntually we will have to network across the country anyway.

Nicki

artherd
12-02-2009, 1:05 AM
Please remember that freedom is not free! We spend a lot of money on aggressive lawyering in CA and Federal Courts.

Please use the link in my signature to donate to The Calguns Foundation.

Thank you

Blackhawk556
12-02-2009, 1:09 AM
you guys are awesome

thanks for the info.
I already put you in my blackberry with all your info and i've never even met you :cool:

Blackhawk556
12-02-2009, 1:10 AM
Please remember that freedom is not free! We spend a lot of money on aggressive lawyering in CA and Federal Courts.

Please use the link in my signature to donate to The Calguns Foundation.

Thank you

that's why I set up automatic donations from work:cool:

CABilly
12-02-2009, 1:32 AM
Awesome, put it in the phone.

bwiese
12-02-2009, 1:35 AM
Folks,
Here's another famous Bill Wiese "bulleted list" (I don't do pie charts like Oaklander does)...

We often CAN do SOMETHING, even A LOT
.... but we have to KNOW about it ASAP ! !
Even if you already have an attorney we likely can help him if he's not a gun lawyer
CGF's Oaklander (lawyer) or his investigator can get details of your case confidentially and decide if or how things proceed, level of support, etc.
Even if the case is not perfectly 'clean', we may be able to offer some personal assistance to defense atty even if CGF cannot allocate legal/financial resources due to "color"
If you know of a 'situation', don't try to get deep info or have your buddy dig himself a deeper hole - put your buddy in contact with us here.
WE CAN'T FIGHT IT IF WE DON'T KNOW ABOUT IT.

Casual_Shooter
12-02-2009, 8:31 AM
This is good information.

Contact info of all CGF atty's should be kept on the refrigerator or in a spot easily accessible to family etc should something happen to anyone here.

I have a lawyer friend who I would normally call first, but after reading this, I would make sure he had the numbers of the people here.

Should we make a contact list in this thread? Should it also contain the advertising lawyers here: Michel and Associates, Davis and Associates?

redneckshootist
12-02-2009, 8:37 AM
good info.
lets see I have oaks number on speed dial, hoffmangs number on speed dial, ivans number on speed dial.;) Ill let y'all know if I have any problems.

Satex
12-02-2009, 8:39 AM
Oaklander,
Can the CGF create a "business card" we can download, print, and add to our wallets, hang on the fridge for emergencies?

GrizzlyGuy
12-02-2009, 8:43 AM
Excellent info and thanks for the generous offer. You are now in my speed dial along with my regular lawyer. Now working on committing your number to memory along with hers. :D

oaklander
12-02-2009, 8:43 AM
Good idea!

I know Calguns.net is working on a luggage tag - let me see if we can add some CGF contact info.

Oaklander,
Can the CGF create a "business card" we can download, print, and add to our wallets, hang on the fridge for emergencies?

ChrisTKHarris
12-02-2009, 8:59 AM
Thanks for the heads up. :)

liketoshoot
12-02-2009, 9:04 AM
putting your info on my safe right under the sticker that tells the Police to have the proper warrent to open and search.

And Thanks again for being here for us.

wildhawker
12-02-2009, 9:32 AM
Oak, ping me when you have a second so we can get some info rolling (hotline?).

edwardm
12-02-2009, 10:36 AM
Sounds like a potentially decent use for Google Voice.

Oak, ping me when you have a second so we can get some info rolling (hotline?).

boxbro
12-02-2009, 10:46 AM
Until Oak comes up with something, which will surely be better, here's a completely amateur business card.

:D

Purple K
12-02-2009, 11:05 AM
Added the phone number to the contacts list on my cel. under the premis that if I have it I won't need it.

evidens83
12-02-2009, 11:15 AM
Saved info into my Blackberry. Very good to have JIC :thumbsup:

MasterYong
12-02-2009, 12:31 PM
Adding info to my cell.

Thanks for everything you do, guys.

Anyone know of any of these CG members that got nailed for OLLs and didn't say anything? Seems like they're ripe for Oaklander's trout of reality...

hoffmang
12-02-2009, 1:06 PM
Any call to the CGF main line comes to me 24x7 - 650-275-1015. If someone doesn't pick up, leave a voicemail and a call back number or email and someone will get back in touch with you shortly.

-Gene

boxbro
12-02-2009, 1:20 PM
Any call to the CGF main line comes to me 24x7 - 650-275-1015. If someone doesn't pick up, leave a voicemail and a call back number or email and someone will get back in touch with you shortly.

-Gene

Updated the amateur business card I posted to add the number.

Vtec44
12-02-2009, 1:22 PM
It is very important that there continue to be NO SUCCESSFUL OLL PROSECUTIONS IN CALIFORNIA.

Amen to this, especially when legal CA gun owners go out of their way to follow the laws and still have to deal with ignorance law enforcement agencies.

high_revs
12-02-2009, 1:44 PM
thanks guys. thread sent to my SO also just in case they won't give me my cell phone to call cgf. imagine that... SO asks me why didn't you call me first. well, duh.. I needed a lawyer. LOL

I'll see if I can make a 3rd donation before year end. Just got a call my N6 upper came in. :)

radioburning
12-02-2009, 2:07 PM
Numbers saved. Hope I never have to use 'em.

jazman
12-02-2009, 5:14 PM
It would be great for CGF to develop a safe magnet warning against unauthorized entry, more impressive than a law office and maybe a way to make some money also.

oaklander
12-02-2009, 5:19 PM
Since this is a "sticky" - I added the CGF number to the first post - please call BOTH numbers.

boxbro
12-02-2009, 5:32 PM
Since this is a "sticky" - I added the CGF number to the first post - please call BOTH numbers.

Alright, I edited the business card again to reflect this. :cool:

obeygiant
12-02-2009, 9:03 PM
It would be great for CGF to develop a safe magnet warning against unauthorized entry, more impressive than a law office and maybe a way to make some money also.

This ^^ is a great idea.

obeygiant
12-02-2009, 9:05 PM
Alright, I edited the business card again to reflect this. :cool:

Nice job boxbro.

wildhawker
12-02-2009, 9:13 PM

We're working on a "mobile version" as we speak, and hope to have them available for Christmas

A more "permanent" version (magnets, decals) should be available early 2010.

xxdabroxx
12-03-2009, 8:12 AM
ST. LOUIS – September 26, 2009 – the Calguns Foundation (“CGF” – www.calgunsfoundation.org) Folks, if you get arrested or cited for your LEGAL weapons, PLEASE CONTACT CGF.

someone forgot to update something ;) Unless this was sent from the past... :TFH:

Chucker 2
12-03-2009, 8:19 AM
Good thing I subscribe to email alerts otherwise I would have missed this!

Numbers added to cell and card printed.

Thanks!

silaic7
12-03-2009, 9:21 AM
Thanks CGF, will let all my friends know.

Gnzrme
12-03-2009, 10:19 AM
Have there been recent sucessful prosecutions of OLL's or other weapons? And, once prosecuted, can you go back and request a trial based on incorrect inturpretations of the law? Will you conviction be expunged?

pacrimguru
12-03-2009, 10:23 AM
thanks guys, CGF is the bestest.

Don742
12-03-2009, 12:58 PM
Thanks Guys

It's comforting to know your out there and will back us all up
in time of need. will send contribution next pay check.

Stay Strong ! we're all working together.

bwiese
12-03-2009, 1:08 PM
Have there been recent sucessful prosecutions of OLL's or other weapons

We know of no successful prosecution of a legitimately-configured OLL rifle.

Of "other weapons"? Sure people have all sorts of illegal guns including AWs and people do get popped/convicted for those - and there's nothing we can do.

And, once prosecuted, can you go back and request a trial based on incorrect inturpretations of the law? Will you conviction be expunged?

If someone had a bad non-gun lawyer and were convicted of a crime that really didn't exist, there would be grounds for appeal.

But if somebody has a legal firearm used in a legal way and is somehow charged, we will help him.

Nose Nuggets
12-03-2009, 2:22 PM
man, its a huge weight off my shoulders to have phone numbers at the ready in the event of some sideways legal trouble. thanks a lot for providing this guys.

SiegeX
12-03-2009, 3:05 PM
Ditto on the weight off the shoulders. I'll be thanking you with my first donation when I get my Xmas bonus.

hoffmang
12-03-2009, 4:00 PM
And now with toll free goodness: 1-800-788-5679 1-800-556-2109

Please only use the 800 number if you're in trouble. In state calls are cheap otherwise :D

-Gene

Edited to update this with the correct 800 number as the old one had to be abandoned.

boxbro
12-03-2009, 4:37 PM
And now with toll free goodness: 1-800-788-5679

Please only use the 800 number if you're in trouble. In state calls are cheap otherwise :D

-Gene

You want me to add that to the card ?

sierratangofoxtrotunion
12-03-2009, 4:59 PM
And now with toll free goodness: 1-800-788-5679

-Gene

Is 1-800-CGF-GUNS available? :D

SiegeX
12-03-2009, 5:20 PM
Like the idea but what about 1-800-CGF-HELP ?

oaklander
12-03-2009, 10:36 PM
First post edited to include new 800 number (and remove my cell).

Let's also edit the cards to make that change too.

Those of you who already have my cell can keep it too. . .

wildhawker
12-03-2009, 11:41 PM
Those of you who already have my cell can keep it too. . .

Don't worry, I only passed it out in Vegas.

oaklander
12-04-2009, 2:14 AM
LOL - but I got some great "dates!"

:)

Don't worry, I only passed it out in Vegas.

boxbro
12-04-2009, 8:57 AM
Let's also edit the cards to make that change too.

Done!
You should add it to the OP.

akoba
12-04-2009, 10:29 AM
right on time. Im looking for one just to be prepare. You know, in case something happen.

oaklander
12-04-2009, 3:42 PM
Done!
You should add it to the OP.

Looks good - you can probably remove my email address and screen name, since we've got the 800 number working (and that is faster)!!!

Once you do that - I'll link it to the OP.

boxbro
12-04-2009, 4:26 PM
Looks good - you can probably remove my email address and screen name, since we've got the 800 number working (and that is faster)!!!

Once you do that - I'll link it to the OP.

Done!

oaklander
12-04-2009, 9:58 PM
Done!

Cool - done!

aermotor
12-08-2009, 2:08 PM
Awesome! Glad there's a number to call.

kf6tac
12-08-2009, 3:09 PM
What are the limits on this offer? And by that I mean it's fairly clear from comments in this thread that if you get in trouble for a legally-configured OLL, that's within the scope of the type of cases CGF is asking us to contact them with. But what about cases where, for example, someone breaks into your house and you shoot them in self-defense using a legally owned, legally configured firearm? If the local DA comes after you for unlawful use of deadly force, is that a "Contact CGF" situation too?

swhatb
12-08-2009, 9:16 PM
good to know

hoffmang
12-08-2009, 11:15 PM
What are the limits on this offer?

First of all, let me be clear. You can not depend on CGF to neccessarily defend you. We are not an insurance policy and we are certainly not your insurance policy.

I doubt we'd defend self defense shootings. We stand ready to help arrange such things, but they are very personal, fact specific, and outside our scope.

The heart of what we defend are cases where the state or locality is trying to prosecute someone for a crime that isn't a crime. A self defense shooting shouldn't be a crime and shouldn't be a prosecution. If it does become a prosecution, we can certainly point you in the right direction but it is not our mission to take over financially you when you have to make that sort of call.

-Gene

kf6tac
12-09-2009, 2:27 AM
First of all, let me be clear. You can not depend on CGF to neccessarily defend you. We are not an insurance policy and we are certainly not your insurance policy.

I doubt we'd defend self defense shootings. We stand ready to help arrange such things, but they are very personal, fact specific, and outside our scope.

The heart of what we defend are cases where the state or locality is trying to prosecute someone for a crime that isn't a crime. A self defense shooting shouldn't be a crime and shouldn't be a prosecution. If it does become a prosecution, we can certainly point you in the right direction but it is not our mission to take over financially you when you have to make that sort of call.

-Gene

That's what I figured. There was a thread started here around the time that this announcement was posted asking who to call if one is involved in a self-defense shooting, and several of the responses referenced this announcement; I figured it'd be good to clarify exactly what this announcement is aimed at.

oaklander
12-09-2009, 3:35 AM
In all seriousness. . .

http://scrapetv.com/News/News%20Pages/Entertainment/images-3/Ghostbusters-team.jpg

kf6tac
12-09-2009, 3:59 AM
In all seriousness. . .

http://scrapetv.com/News/News%20Pages/Entertainment/images-3/Ghostbusters-team.jpg

"No, officer, I did not shoot the Big Guy with my proton pack until he started rampaging through the city. No, my proton pack is not an illegal assault weapon -- you'll notice that there is no collapsible stock, pistol grip, or flash hider, and the power source is not detachable from the neutrona wand."

Cokebottle
12-09-2009, 8:43 AM
That's what I figured. There was a thread started here around the time that this announcement was posted asking who to call if one is involved in a self-defense shooting, and several of the responses referenced this announcement; I figured it'd be good to clarify exactly what this announcement is aimed at.
IMHO, it still couldn't hurt to call. If you don't have an attorney, I'm sure they would be happy to direct you to someone who knows WTH they're doing.

kf6tac
12-09-2009, 10:27 AM
IMHO, it still couldn't hurt to call. If you don't have an attorney, I'm sure they would be happy to direct you to someone who knows WTH they're doing.

This is true. At the very least, they'll remind you to STFU until they or someone you know can track down an attorney for you.

hoffmang
12-09-2009, 10:28 PM
This is true. At the very least, they'll remind you to STFU until they or someone you know can track down an attorney for you.

And this we're quite happy to do. Also, even if you have color to your arrest, we'd like to know about it so we can make sure the firearms parts of your defense are done right and don't create bad law for the rest of gun owners.

We'll help most anyone (I'm sure there are some rare and infamous crimes we wouldn't touch) get the firearms part of their defense right. What we can't guarantee is that we'd pay for the costs of the defense beyond making available "the right people" to help your attorney out.

If there is no color, no shots fired, gun was legal and what you were up to generally doesn't have moral turpitude - we'll generally pick up the tab too. As an example - speeding ticket - no problem. Controlled substances, actually selling firearms without a license beyond the exemptions are examples of likely problems for us to fully back. Until Incorporation - most UOC is a problem for us to fully back.

-Gene

Exposed
12-11-2009, 6:22 PM
Thanks for reaching out Oaklander. Its always refreshing to know guys like you are on our side, however, I hope I never have to contact CGF for any reason other than donations and positive feedback.

AdnanShahab
12-12-2009, 12:02 AM
Expect to receive a call from me Monday morning. I want to have a go-to lawyer when I start exercising my right to open carry.

hoffmang
12-12-2009, 1:03 AM
Expect to receive a call from me Monday morning. I want to have a go-to lawyer when I start exercising my right to open carry.

Until McDonald, we can't generally assist with UOC. Please run a few searches on the forum as the reasoning has been well hashed out. If you UOC you need to have $20K (at least) ready to burn.

-Gene

boxbro
12-24-2009, 9:17 AM
PLEASE NOTE THAT THE BUSINESS CARDS THAT BOXBRO MADE HAVE THE WRONG 800 NUMBER - WE ARE WORKING TO FIX THAT. (WE HAVE A NEW 800 NUMBER NOW - SEE FIRST POST).

Fixed.
PM me when and if the number needs changing again.

oaklander
12-24-2009, 1:00 PM
Fixed.
PM me when and if the number needs changing again.

Awesome - thanks!

FIRST POST UPDATED WITH REVISED CARD - http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=41063&d=1261674969

artherd
12-24-2009, 1:55 PM
What are the limits on this offer?

Gene covered it very well, I want to reiterate that CGF is not Legal Insurance.

That said we want to know about anything involving firearms.

turbosbox
12-28-2009, 1:08 PM
Until McDonald, we can't generally assist with UOC. Please run a few searches on the forum as the reasoning has been well hashed out. If you UOC you need to have $20K (at least) ready to burn.

-Gene

Nicely covered what cases are more "worthy" of donors money with the donor's goals in mind. Thank you. Also nice that some slightly off color cases might be considered, but no carte blanche for anyone with a gun.

FastFinger
02-11-2010, 1:46 PM
Awesome - thanks!

FIRST POST UPDATED WITH REVISED CARD - http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=41063&d=1261674969

I'll look into including the emergency contact info on the next iteration of CGN member referral business cards.

superman21
02-16-2010, 10:46 PM
You guys are the best of the best... :)

superman21
02-16-2010, 10:48 PM
Good to know that there are people like you guys. Tnx'

team1320
02-16-2010, 11:01 PM
Sweet! Thanks for posting. It's good to see someone on our side.

Ishooter
03-20-2010, 5:18 PM
This thread is great. And thanks for those who would back up the law abiding gun owners in Ca. :)

Shotgun Man
03-29-2010, 7:36 PM
CGF may want to get involved in this:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showpost.php?p=4037008&postcount=18

Mind you, an AG's opinion from 1972 is not law. The CGF should challenge this case. The AG opines "in" means "on."

Thread:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=284994

novabrian
03-29-2010, 11:48 PM
What if it was over 10 years ago.I called a week after it happened and the lady told me the judge ordered my guns destroyed! Could that have really happened or are they still sitting in safe keeping? Please private message me if you can shed some light on a situation that has always bothered me.

Rock_Islander
04-01-2010, 8:17 AM
It's great to have an awesome community here. I'm a new member, this is my first post, and I just picked up my first OLL rifle this past Saturday from my FFL. I can't wait to start shooting and customizing, as well as keeping it legal and safe for the many years I plan to own it until I pass it on to my kid(s).

I've printed the cards and am saving the numbers. Calguns rules.

R.I.

Packy14
04-21-2010, 10:01 AM
I recommend you guys get umbrella insurance... it can help you in a variety of instances, and is very affordable.

bakokid
04-23-2010, 2:19 PM
I would like to talk to a lawyer regarding confiscated firearm, and possibly hire. this is an ATF matter. does anyone have any contact info for a good firearms lawyer.

oaklander
04-24-2010, 12:29 AM
PM sent. . .

I would like to talk to a lawyer regarding confiscated firearm, and possibly hire. this is an ATF matter. does anyone have any contact info for a good firearms lawyer.

ArinX
04-24-2010, 12:52 AM
Good 2 know

and a great idea, I would buy one.

duldej
05-05-2010, 12:33 AM
i was brought-in on a warrant once in culver city. the booking report stated that i had a receipt for the purchase of a handgun in my pocket. this happened around august 2009.

wildhawker
05-05-2010, 1:35 AM
We're currently working on some infrastructure to support the distribution of this and other useful items; if anyone has some web development skills they could lend (Drupal, CiviCRM, Ubercart, vBulletin) please let us know, it would be greatly appreciated!

Good 2 know

and a great idea, I would buy one.

NCHogin
05-05-2010, 6:42 AM
...adding to my phone contacts right now. Thanks Oaklander!

winnre
05-05-2010, 10:55 AM
I recommend you guys get umbrella insurance... it can help you in a variety of instances, and is very affordable.

Umbrella is only considered if my car and house are under the same company. Combining then may not be cost effective.

Real umbrella insurance:

http://www.zoliblog.com/umbrellaGun.jpg

Monkeybits
05-07-2010, 9:33 AM
I wish I'd known this in 2005, when a U.S. forest ranger cited me inappropriately. I eventually was able to have it dismissed, but it was a long process, and I'll never go shooting in Placer county again. I'll be sure to pass this information on to friends. Thanks for a fantastic resource!

xXBigJoeXx
06-10-2010, 10:48 PM
Excellent information and a great benefit of being a CalGuns member! Very happy I signed up for this forum, so much information and resources plus support and ideas. Just put the number in my phone and told the wifey about it so she knows who to call if I cant. Like my pistol I feel good having this but hope to never have to use it........

chumrunner
06-10-2010, 11:29 PM
Great Thread - Keep it going
I will pass information on to friends in need.

Thanks

phkk
06-11-2010, 2:12 PM
best thread in life

harbinger007
07-21-2010, 10:36 PM
The toll-free number in Gene's post #55 is different than the toll-free number is the first post. Which is correct? I didn't see a subsequent post where Gene reported a different number.

wildhawker
07-21-2010, 10:48 PM
The toll-free number in Gene's post #55 is different than the toll-free number is the first post. Which is correct? I didn't see a subsequent post where Gene reported a different number.

The correct number is 1-800-556-2109.

Cokebottle
01-23-2011, 6:00 PM
Hi everyone, im a little concerned as to what is going to happen to me.
You need an attorney... yesterday.
Delete your post and say nothing more ANYWHERE on the internet about it.

oaklander
02-14-2011, 8:51 AM
Although I am not on CGF anymore (I resigned in mid 2010 to focus on my personal life and day job), I am still in close contact with the Board.

If you contact me seeking legal help, your conversation with me is confidential. Once I know your specifics, I will do one or more of the following:

1) Refer you to a lawyer who can help you.

2) Also involve CGF, if the issue is something that they may be interested in.

3) In certain cases, I can arrange for bail (this doesn't mean that I will pay your bail - it means I can set up a bail bondsman for you).

In general, please try to AVOID getting arrested.

The TWO main reasons people get arrested for their LEGAL firearms are:

1) Traffic stops

2) Domestic disputes

So - please drive safely, and keep things peaceful at home!!!!!!!!!

Lone_Gunman
02-14-2011, 11:02 AM
Although I am not on CGF anymore (I resigned in mid 2010 to focus on my personal life and day job), I am still in close contact with the Board.

If you contact me seeking legal help, your conversation with me is confidential. Once I know your specifics, I will do one or more of the following:

1) Refer you to a lawyer who can help you.

2) Also involve CGF, if the issue is something that they may be interested in.

3) In certain cases, I can arrange for bail (this doesn't mean that I will pay your bail - it means I can set up a bail bondsman for you).

In general, please try to AVOID getting arrested.

The TWO main reasons people get arrested for their LEGAL firearms are:

1) Traffic stops

2) Domestic disputes

So - please drive safely, and keep things peaceful at home!!!!!!!!!

And NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER consent to a search. Politely tell the officer "I know you are doing your job, but I don't consent to searches." Do not help someone who is looking to arrest you for any reason they can come up with.

die2surf
02-18-2011, 12:46 PM
And NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER consent to a search. Politely tell the officer "I know you are doing your job, but I don't consent to searches." Do not help someone who is looking to arrest you for any reason they can come up with.

I searched for some discussions regarding what to do, what not do, best practices, etc. when interacting with law enforcement when possessing firearms.

Can someone help me out in finding a thread that discusses this? I'm relatively new on the forum, and I'm sure I must have searched incorrectly.

I'm fortunate enough to have an unrestricted CA CCW, and am always looking to make sure I use my best judgment when interacting with law enforcement when carrying (it's only happened once so far...in San Francisco of all places, and the officer didn't inquire at all about my possessing a firearm...everything was perfectly respectful).

Thank you.

oaklander
02-19-2011, 7:31 AM
I can't speak to the CCW issue when interacting with LE - BUT - I can tell you one simple thing to remember:

You and the police officer have different "jobs."

His or her "job" is to fight crime, and keep the peace - this means that an arrest is generally a good thing for him or her.

Your "job" is simply to stay out of jail. That means that an arrest is a bad thing for you.

I've found that being polite and respectful goes a long way. Most LE are generally nice people and do not want to be a Richard about stuff. So just be nice and respectful. Try to talk less than you want to. Smile. Be friendly. And listen very closely to what they say.

For example, I was shooting an OLL on private property last weekend, and a local sheriff who lived down the road came down to see what all the noise was about.

I guess my 30 round mag dumps must have caught his attention.

We walked out to the private road to talk to him. He had a right to be on that private road because his house was also located on it.

By then, my AK was in my trunk.

He asked "what we were shooting" - I could have remained silent - but that would have probably caused him to react in a way I did not want - so I said "7.62x39." His reputation is such that I know that he didn't know what that "meant" - so he just said to keep the noise down. He did not want to appear unfamiliar with guns, so he did not ask what that round "went in."

If I'd answered "AK47" - then the outcome would have been different. The whole thought process for me took about 1/10th of a second. If you can't think that fast - then it's better to say nothing and take your chances.

I searched for some discussions regarding what to do, what not do, best practices, etc. when interacting with law enforcement when possessing firearms.

Can someone help me out in finding a thread that discusses this? I'm relatively new on the forum, and I'm sure I must have searched incorrectly.

I'm fortunate enough to have an unrestricted CA CCW, and am always looking to make sure I use my best judgment when interacting with law enforcement when carrying (it's only happened once so far...in San Francisco of all places, and the officer didn't inquire at all about my possessing a firearm...everything was perfectly respectful).

Thank you.

kcbrown
02-19-2011, 10:37 PM
I've found that being polite and respectful goes a long way. Most LE are generally nice people and do not want to be a Richard about stuff. So just be nice and respectful. Try to talk less than you want to. Smile. Be friendly. And listen very closely to what they say.

For example, I was shooting an OLL on private property last weekend, and a local sheriff who lived down the road came down to see what all the noise was about.

I guess my 30 round mag dumps must have caught his attention.

We walked out to the private road to talk to him. He had a right to be on that private road because his house was also located on it.

By then, my AK was in my trunk.

He asked "what we were shooting" - I could have remained silent - but that would have probably caused him to react in a way I did not want - so I said "7.62x39." His reputation is such that I know that he didn't know what that "meant" - so he just said to keep the noise down. He did not want to appear unfamiliar with guns, so he did not ask what that round "went in."

If I'd answered "AK47" - then the outcome would have been different. The whole thought process for me took about 1/10th of a second. If you can't think that fast - then it's better to say nothing and take your chances.

Most people don't know anything at all about the LEO they're dealing with. You had a very significant advantage in that regard in the above scenario. So, alas, one cannot really know what to say in the general case.

The advice to be polite and to show respect (as one should do when dealing with anyone you don't know, really) is excellent advice regardless.

BIGDJG
02-19-2011, 11:28 PM
Good to know CG has my back .Great site ,will be CGN contributer very soon ,THKS!

oaklander
02-20-2011, 12:09 AM
Good point!

Most people don't know anything at all about the LEO they're dealing with.

GixxRacer
02-21-2011, 9:16 PM
Called and left a message regarding a issue.

oaklander
02-21-2011, 11:29 PM
Spoken to and referred to appropriate person.

Called and left a message regarding a issue.

wildhawker
02-21-2011, 11:33 PM
Good to know CG has my back .Great site ,will be CGN contributer very soon ,THKS!

While supporting CGN is a worthwhile cause in its own right, the Hotline service is provided by CGF (Calguns Foundation), an entirely separate entity.

-Brandon

iskra31
02-28-2011, 9:07 PM
Great thread, good to know I have some one on my side if **** hits the fan! Thanks CGN community!

oaklander
02-28-2011, 10:18 PM
Excellent!

While I can't officially speak "for" CGF - I can tell you that this kind of thing requires money - both to keep the line open, follow up on calls, and take legal action, if required.

Please do consider making a small donation to CGF when you get a chance. They operate on a small "internal" budget, with the rest of the money going directly to fight for our rights.

Great thread, good to know I have some one on my side if **** hits the fan! Thanks CGN community!

Calimart
03-26-2011, 6:00 PM
I advised my friend to contact you guys. Not sure if you can help his cause or not but I sent him your way.

http://www.southbayriders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107564

Seesm
03-27-2011, 3:43 AM
Here here to CGF!! Thanks Oak!!

oaklander
03-27-2011, 10:02 AM
Thanks!

But seriously - I just "connect the dots." And make phone calls, etc. . .

The real heroes here are the lawyers that CGF works with who mount the defenses, and the CGF leadership, which plans the strategies. . .

I'm just kind of a soldier, since I'm not good at strategy (but I am EXCELLENT at tactics). . .

Here here to CGF!! Thanks Oak!!

DCMONSTER27
04-22-2011, 4:03 AM
I am a newbie to all this and im going to build an AR15 in California from a stripped lower. Ive done a little research and im continuing to do so. What are the main things i need to worry about? Anything will help at this point.

Thank you,
Kawika

oaklander
04-22-2011, 4:36 AM
You should make sure you understand the law. Start here (http://www.calguns.net/caawid/flowchart.pdf).

Then continue here (http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/Main_Page).

Read every word.

THEN - proceed!!!!

What are the main things i need to worry about?

Rugerdaddy
04-22-2011, 11:59 AM
I am a newbie to all this and im going to build an AR15 in California from a stripped lower. Ive done a little research and im continuing to do so. What are the main things i need to worry about? Anything will help at this point.

Thank you,
Kawika

Do as Oaklander says. Then, enjoy your rifle, your rights, and welcome to the community! :)

dirty_530
05-30-2011, 8:18 PM
That is very generous of you, thank you in advance. I hope I never have to contact you!

liketoshoot
06-16-2011, 11:40 AM
I just sent my daughter home to her apartment with her handgun and instruction that she is to call you guys if she ever has to use it for self-defence. she has the numbers in her phone and knows not to say anything to the police except that she will give them a statement after she speaks to her lawyer(s).
Thanks for all you guys do for us.

mike9909
06-23-2011, 11:18 AM
I need legal help......now......phone numbers please..

boxbro
06-23-2011, 11:56 AM
I need legal help......now......phone numbers please..

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=41063&d=1261674969

WDE91
06-25-2011, 7:18 PM
I realize Im a little late to this but this went into my phone this evening

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd301/bjkearns/IMG_0362.png

oaklander
06-26-2011, 1:16 AM
I realize Im a little late to this but this went into my phone this evening

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd301/bjkearns/IMG_0362.png

We like you to use the email link on the CGF website first. The reason is that there are several lawyers that we work with. Generally, we point people to lawyers who are close to them, etc.

Sent from my Maxi-Pad.

Window_Seat
06-26-2011, 8:06 AM
Is this a new application? I tried looking for it on my SP, but nothing. That would make for an excellent application.

Erik.

WDE91
06-27-2011, 9:19 AM
Ok Oaklander if I understand you correctly
Go through email first then call if no response

Fusilier
06-28-2011, 2:02 PM
I wish I would have known this ahead of time. My lawyer went straight to plea bargain.

MasterYong
06-28-2011, 2:48 PM
Is this a new application? I tried looking for it on my SP, but nothing. That would make for an excellent application.

Erik.

Do you mean the screenshot form Bjkearns?

That's just a screenshot of his iPhone (the contacts page). It's not an app.

WDE91
06-29-2011, 8:45 PM
^^
correct simple screen image capture that was uploaded to photobucket and then imported into Calguns
nothing too fancy

oaklander
07-14-2011, 5:32 AM
Ok Oaklander if I understand you correctly
Go through email first then call if no response

Yes. And folks who are still in jail should get bailed out first, THEN contact us. The main thing to remember is to say nothing, except "I want a lawyer."

And please folks, try to avoid family dramas. Most of what we are seeing now relates to family dramas where one person uses false allegations to attempt to exact revenge on another.

At the risk of continuing to sound like Yoda, most of our problems in life are due to disharmony.

Sent from my Maxi-Pad.

vparra1
07-24-2011, 8:57 AM
I have a ? A few years ago the sheriff took our guns. The guns were'nt used in a crime. Why haven't they gave them back. What can I do its been more than four years. Or have they been destroyed.

Liberty1
07-24-2011, 9:58 AM
Contact the Sheriff's dept. and ask if they still have them. IF the do get an LEGR. Why were they 'taken'? And why did it take years to inquire about how to get them back?

vparra1
07-24-2011, 11:11 AM
We asked my brother to ask his lawyer when we were getting them back. Lawyer said he would look in to it and never did. I always thought they'd bring them back just like they took them. Im new to Calguns and just ignorant what's an LGER

vparra1
07-24-2011, 4:34 PM
Pm message sent thanks Liberty1

roushstage2
10-01-2011, 1:54 AM
Saw this thread while going through the 2A forum, and just wanted to say thanks!

ExtremeX
10-01-2011, 2:35 AM
In my phone too, thanks for the support!

GooseGun
12-06-2011, 7:18 AM
This is probably floating around somewhere on the forum. This is one of my favorite lessons on why not to talk to the cops EVER.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8z7NC5sgik

Black Tiger
01-04-2012, 8:04 PM
Thank you Oaklander for your offer. I wish I could know you a year ago. I got a problem with gun law. My weapon was legal. However, my attorney, who has got experience over ten years, didn't have knowledge of gun law. I just found out his ability after receiving the sentence from the court. Luckily, my case was very small, so I'm still Ok to go to shooting range and purchase guns. From my case, I've learned a lesson that not all attorneys/lawyers know much of gun laws. :mad:

There have been several recent cases where people have not contacted us, and/or have decided to rely on local counsel or public defenders.

If the case is appropriate, we can work WITH your local counsel or public defender to make sure that you get the best representation possible and that your counsel is educated as to your gun rights. We do this at no charge as part of our mission as a non-profit.

If you are concerned about attorney/client confidences being breached, you may contact ME, as I am a licensed attorney and everything you say to me will be kept in confidence.

To contact us, PM any of the board members such as Kestryll, Ivanimal, Bwiese, Hoffmang, etc. . . OR PM me.

ETA: You may also email the CGF Hotline at hotline@calgunsfoundation.org -- or use the confidential form at http://www.calgunsfoundation.org/hotline.

PLEASE NOTE THAT THE BUSINESS CARDS THAT BOXBRO MADE ARE AWESOME - HERE'S A LINK TO THEM:

Purple K
01-05-2012, 5:28 AM
Black Tiger... Make contact anyway, it's rarely too late.

Thelaststand
01-09-2012, 8:29 PM
New Jersey and several other states should learn from this.

GixxRacer
01-19-2012, 9:49 PM
left a message day ago no word back, sent a few pm's to few users listed in first post. need some advice on a matter thanks

oaklander
01-22-2012, 6:39 AM
left a message day ago no word back, sent a few pm's to few users listed in first post. need some advice on a matter thanks

Everyone is at the SHOT show. Keep contacting people, be persistent, but polite.

I tend to just be the person who connects the people, but I typically do not get directly involved in legal matters.

Right now, our team is so busy WINNING, that I think it takes a few days to get through to them.

Sent from my brain, to yours. . .

Tim209
02-20-2012, 8:23 AM
Sister needs help in Calaveras County... they are gonna take her gunright away for life.
Can anyone help Thanks.

wildhawker
02-20-2012, 12:25 PM
Sister needs help in Calaveras County... they are gonna take her gunright away for life.
Can anyone help Thanks.

Have her email or call us at the CGF Help Hotline instructions. See: www.calgunsfoundation.org/hotline.

-Brandon

Tim209
02-20-2012, 3:38 PM
Thanks

froglives
03-10-2012, 12:14 PM
That is an excellent biz card, with most biz cards going to the round file immediately, nice to see one that folks would hang on to.

"Its not marketing, its my life"

mrbalbowski
04-11-2012, 7:01 PM
Awesome, thank you.

highender
05-14-2012, 2:13 AM
thanks..... saved in phone ..

sport shooter
06-26-2012, 9:37 AM
Hoqw do I PM one of these people
Kestryll, Ivanimal, Bwiese, Hoffmang, etc

I need advice

Casual_Shooter
06-26-2012, 9:46 AM
Find a thread they posted in and click their user name. A pop up menu will open with an option to PM them.

treffryraxter
07-03-2012, 2:21 AM
Food for thought, while this guy may have been right or wrong he has recently posted that he has found no one to help him in another state. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g71VfyHiWPA&feature=youtube_gdata_player I am glad to see if I were to have an issue that someone might stand up with me. Thanks for all you do guys

fish_addict707
07-03-2012, 9:44 AM

VERY GOOD to know, Thank you.

Desert Palm USA
07-22-2012, 3:03 PM
Thank You for all the work put into CalGunsFdn, I will contribute in the near future. Saving up for a life contributor, AR builds is just putting a hole in my pocket. NRA life member

highender
08-03-2012, 2:06 AM
contributed.

But now that Oaklander is gone, can someone forward to me any info about attorneys that deal with guns ? Or any one knows Oaklanders' full name, please PM me....

thanks

wildhawker
08-03-2012, 2:31 AM
contributed.

But now that Oaklander is gone, can someone forward to me any info about attorneys that deal with guns ? Or any one knows Oaklanders' full name, please PM me....

thanks

See http://calgunsfoundation.org/hotline.

-Brandon

Rightwinger
08-08-2012, 1:33 PM
Great info to know and have.. - Thanks CGF

perfetto
08-10-2012, 1:05 PM
good to know

Oregon_Border_Bandit
09-01-2012, 4:07 PM
What about across the border in Oregon am I SOL as far as CalGun's legal is concerned ?

regards.

drewalan3
09-20-2012, 10:26 PM
Better Yet Knowledge is Power!

The TRUE Definition of a FIREARM

TITLE 26 United States Code 5845
TITLE 27 Code of Federal Regulations 479.11

Ignorance and Liberty cannot coexist...
THOMAS JEFFERSON

Librarian
09-20-2012, 11:14 PM
Better Yet Knowledge is Power!

The TRUE Definition of a FIREARM

TITLE 26 United States Code 5845
TITLE 27 Code of Federal Regulations 479.11

Ignorance and Liberty cannot coexist...
THOMAS JEFFERSON

You forgot 18 USC 921 (http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/921) (a)(3), (a)(5-8), (a)(16), (a)(23), (a)(28, 29)

California has its own versions - see the wiki -- http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/Definition_of_a_firearm/gun

motoxboard
10-28-2012, 1:21 PM
About a month ago a USFS officer in El Dorado County took my firearm and handed me a receipt for it. He told me he could take me to jail but didn't and also didn't give me a ticket for anything. Just a receipt for my gun. My case no. has not been filed and my gun is not in evedence and infact nowhere to be found. It's my understanding that those things are to be done at the end of the officers shift or the next day. It has now been 37 days. Sounds scandalous to me. What do you guys think?

pardou
12-20-2012, 12:45 AM
this is great!, thanks

sixtus
12-23-2012, 1:42 AM
Added the numbers to my cellphone. Many thanks guys!

Sleeps In Prone
01-16-2013, 12:15 AM
Pretty awsome!

jdberger
01-16-2013, 12:26 AM
About a month ago a USFS officer in El Dorado County took my firearm and handed me a receipt for it. He told me he could take me to jail but didn't and also didn't give me a ticket for anything. Just a receipt for my gun. My case no. has not been filed and my gun is not in evedence and infact nowhere to be found. It's my understanding that those things are to be done at the end of the officers shift or the next day. It has now been 37 days. Sounds scandalous to me. What do you guys think?

I think you should contact CGF.

it's what we do....

D.M.C.
01-26-2013, 12:32 AM
I feel like an idiot for asking this... but I did not find any updated material on this thread via the Search Function. Oaklander was the creator of this thread and is listed as a legal resource in the first post. However I notice he's also listed as "Banned" from the CGF. What's the deal here?

Is there an updated stickied thread that has updated information for issues of relevance for people needing CGF legal assistance?

jdberger
01-26-2013, 3:45 PM
I feel like an idiot for asking this... but I did not find any updated material on this thread via the Search Function. Oaklander was the creator of this thread and is listed as a legal resource in the first post. However I notice he's also listed as "Banned" from the CGF. What's the deal here?

Is there an updated stickied thread that has updated information for issues of relevance for people needing CGF legal assistance?

Oaklander isn't "banned from the CGF". He's been banned from CGN.

If you have an issue, please contact the Calguns Foundation (http://www.calgunsfoundation.org/get-help/help-hotline.html).

wpage
02-09-2013, 9:55 AM
For real?

HowardW56
02-09-2013, 10:03 AM
For real?

Who or what post is that directed towards?

Grifter206
02-13-2013, 8:18 PM
Now a days, you never know. Especially now with all this nonesense of wanting to ban guns. thank you!

blkdinanm3
02-15-2013, 4:53 PM
Wow.. This is great! Thanks!

yachttraveler
03-19-2013, 12:28 AM
I deliver ships, other big boats for a living. I always take a cal legal AR and a side arm with me. You would be surprised what happens out there that never gets reported in the media. My question is; in CA waters, what authority does USCG which is obviously a Homeland agency, have over my AR, mags or anything else I have related to my firearms?

Travis590A1
03-19-2013, 12:34 AM
Oaklander isn't "banned from the CGF". He's been banned from CGN.

If you have an issue, please contact the Calguns Foundation (http://www.calgunsfoundation.org/get-help/help-hotline.html).

So he's banned from calguns? May I ask why?

Sent from my LG-P925 using Tapatalk 2

wildhawker
03-19-2013, 1:49 AM
So he's banned from calguns? May I ask why?

Probably best to ask him yourself: http://californianfatrust.com/about/

KIMBER8400
03-23-2013, 10:10 AM
I am in big trouble now! I cant stop buying ammo, and I have a terrible obsession with needing to own more firearms then anyone I know!!! Help???

I suffer from the same condition, been told by health professionals that it is incurable. :oji:

Thank you guys for all the support.

Tarn_Helm
05-18-2013, 7:34 PM

Thanks for posting that.
:cool:

Tincon
08-22-2013, 4:30 PM
Are these "hotline" communications read or answered by someone other than an attorney? If so, how are these communications are protected by the attorney-client privilege? It seems to me that the first thing anyone should do if they "get in trouble with the law" is CONTACT AN ATTORNEY.

mrvash
10-13-2013, 1:03 PM
Is this service still available, despite Oaklander (OP) being banned from CGN?

HowardW56
10-13-2013, 1:10 PM
Is this service still available, despite Oaklander (OP) being banned from CGN?

YES

Ladyrr
10-13-2013, 1:14 PM
Tagged

Tincon
10-13-2013, 1:57 PM
Are these "hotline" communications read or answered by someone other than an attorney? If so, how are these communications are protected by the attorney-client privilege? It seems to me that the first thing anyone should do if they "get in trouble with the law" is CONTACT AN ATTORNEY.

:gene:

desertexplore
10-13-2013, 2:01 PM
Tagged for sure.

Tincon
11-02-2013, 1:31 AM

That's a really interesting website....

inbox485
11-27-2013, 1:32 PM
That's a really interesting website....

That domain is expired. So why exactly was a guy like Oaklander banned?!?

Seesm
12-01-2013, 8:24 PM
I know of a few people who need CGF in a big way.

HowardW56
12-02-2013, 7:18 AM
I know of a few people who need CGF in a big way.

http://www.calgunsfoundation.org/get-help/hotline/

fizux
03-26-2014, 7:06 PM

spike spiegel
04-03-2014, 2:49 PM
Does CGF help if the case is in Arizona, or can someone point me in the right direction for a case in arizona.

inbox485
04-03-2014, 3:21 PM
Does CGF help if the case is in Arizona, or can someone point me in the right direction for a case in arizona.

IIRC, there are people that play nice between the two states. I'd call the hotline if it is urgent.

loekanle
07-03-2014, 12:06 AM
Yeah sure calguns and their lawyers will help for a price of 5,000 per felony

Tincon
07-03-2014, 12:10 AM
Yeah sure calguns and their lawyers will help for a price of 5,000 per felony

Is that what they told you?

wildhawker
07-03-2014, 12:15 AM
Is that what they told you?

If they means CGF, absolutely not.

loekanle
07-03-2014, 12:16 AM
yep that guy in san jose wanted 10,000 and so did the other lawyer in L.A
when I didnt have that kind of money or collateral they politely told me to F*** off

I contact CGF they referred me to those guys

Total FOBAR

Tincon
07-03-2014, 12:29 AM
yep that guy in san jose wanted 10,000 and so did the other lawyer in L.A
when I didnt have that kind of money or collateral they politely told me to F*** off

I contact CGF they referred me to those guys

Total FOBAR

That's not the same as CGF telling you they would help for $5000. I understand your frustration, but I'm sure CGF does not have the resources to fund all, or even most, of the cases presented to them. They are not a free legal plan.