PDA

View Full Version : So to continue with the sling saga....

bombadillo
12-01-2009, 4:40 PM
Using my CTR, I have played with the sling location on where it mounts on the stock side. I have a QD sling swivel that I have played with on the left and right side of the stock. I have another type that slips through the sling mounting points on the underneath side of the stock as well as the back.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/mpmag310.jpg

So the problems I'm having is that switching to left hand shooting, i'm doing the choke-out method if I don't have it attached to the right side which makes it difficult. If I have it attached to the left side, it hangs really well and tighter to the body in the muzzle up carry position on my back. I wanted to see where you guys were mounting your slings on the CTR stock. I have my A2 stock mounted nicely and its working out well with essentially the same setup but the CTR has some really odd mounting locations.

Ideally I would like it to come almost directly off the top of the rifle but its just not going to happen so back to the drawing board.

aplinker
12-01-2009, 6:21 PM
I QD mount with the Noveske carbine QD mount plate on the rear (stock attachment sucks, to me).

With a VTAC or Vickers sling, the slide allows easy weak side transitions.

dchang0
12-01-2009, 7:42 PM
I QD mount with the Noveske carbine QD mount plate on the rear (stock attachment sucks, to me).

What he said. This is a better solution than the Magpul ASAP sling plate, which not only rattles a lot but blocks some stocks and tools.

Jim_KT
12-01-2009, 7:50 PM
I've looked at the Noveske QD sling plate and like the concept. How well are you guys able to "sling up" and tighten the Vickers unit for support?

I am currently running a Viking Tactics sling with the front/rear attachment points at the rear of the handguard and QD swivel point on the LMT/VLTOR buttstocks.

aplinker
12-01-2009, 8:29 PM
I've looked at the Noveske QD sling plate and like the concept. How well are you guys able to "sling up" and tighten the Vickers unit for support?

I am currently running a Viking Tactics sling with the front/rear attachment points at the rear of the handguard and QD swivel point on the LMT/VLTOR buttstocks.

VTAC and Vickers are essentially the same.

bombadillo
12-01-2009, 8:31 PM

Pic of plate?? I am not familiar with that one.

Edit: nevermind, you're just talking about an end plate off the back under the buffer tube. I am looking for something all the way to the end of the stock. We'll see whats out there though.

bombadillo
12-01-2009, 8:38 PM
BTW, post up pics of your rear sling setup just to show others what you have done. It may help me and many others decide on something one way or the other. Also explain your ups and downs.

Jim_KT
12-01-2009, 8:38 PM
VTAC and Vickers are essentially the same.

Yup.

What I was looking for is how much slop there is with the receiver end plate used as a mounting point. Is trimming of the sling needed? I run with the tail end of the sling mounted to the rear end of the receiver. The beauty of these slings in my book is the ability to tighten them up for support when shooting at distances > 100yds.

aplinker
12-01-2009, 8:56 PM
Yup.

What I was looking for is how much slop there is with the receiver end plate used as a mounting point. Is trimming of the sling needed? I run with the tail end of the sling mounted to the rear end of the receiver. The beauty of these slings in my book is the ability to tighten them up for support when shooting at distances > 100yds.

No, unless you're running all the extra quick-detach pieces (clips).

Jim_KT
12-01-2009, 9:17 PM
Groovy.

Thanks for the input.