PDA

View Full Version : CCW in Alaska

CA_SHARPSHOOTER
12-01-2009, 2:17 PM
I am taking a family trip to alaska where we will be renting a motor home and traveling Around and for protection I would like to obtain a ccw permit for over there what do I NEED TO DO?

thanks in advance

BananaTyrant
12-01-2009, 2:20 PM
From my wanderings of this site, I believe you don't need a permit to CCW there. If you feel the need for a piece of paper telling you, and anyone who might stop you, that you're legal, get a non-resident Utah or Florida CCW, they'll cover something like 31 states, including Alaska.

galekowitz
12-01-2009, 11:11 PM
I'm almost positive all you need is a photo identification. Can someone confirm that? I'm on my blackberry.

Cokebottle
12-01-2009, 11:38 PM
Correct.

Alaska's policy is that any person who can legally own a firearm can carry in the state with a valid photo ID.
The only reason that Alaska issues permits is for reciprocity purposes.

Vermont has a similar carry policy, but they do not issue permits so there is no reciprocity available for Vermont residents.

BTW: Alaska's permit is accepted by 34 states... too bad they don't issue non-resident permits ;)

Big Jake
12-02-2009, 9:55 AM
Alaska is one of two states that you do not need a ccw to carry a firearm in. If you can legally posess a firearm then you can ccw.

CA_SHARPSHOOTER
12-02-2009, 2:35 PM
ok but it just seems to good to be true whats the catch?

Timberwolf
12-02-2009, 2:46 PM
ok but it just seems to good to be true whats the catch?

the winters are terrible

SoCalDep
12-02-2009, 4:59 PM
I saw on the National Geographic Alaska State Trooper show a few days ago (On again tonight) that the big requirement is that you immediately declare that you have a firearm. The Trooper checked the serials on the two Cimmarron Arms repro Colt 1873's (one of which were loaded) and returned them to the owner.

Interesting show...

CSACANNONEER
12-02-2009, 5:17 PM
DO NOT transport ANY HANDGUN through Canada! Got it? If you are driving to Alaska, you will have to ship your firearm to yourself or a friend. If you are caught with a handgun in Canada, you won't be posting here for a long time.

KillZone45
12-03-2009, 1:31 AM
Back in 1987 when we drove to Canada for a family vacation at the border my Dad, who is now retired LAPD had to check his gun in and picked it up on the way out.

professorhard
12-03-2009, 1:48 AM
No CCW permit needed to carry concealed in Alaska.

nicki
12-03-2009, 2:01 PM
Alaska requires no permit to carry, either open or concealed. They do have restrictions on carrying in bars, courthouses and maybe a few other Gun Free Zones.

Another poster made a point if you are driving since you have to go through Canada.

If you are driving, I would check ahead of time. Canada has strict laws, but not a total ban.

You probably can travel through Canada with some handguns, but of course they would have to be locked and unloaded. Self defense with guns is illegal in Canada btw last I heard.

Nicki

Quiet
12-03-2009, 2:51 PM
US State Department on travel to Canada (http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1082.html)

SPECIAL CIRCUMSTANCES: IMPORTATION OF FIREARMS
Firearms are much more strictly controlled in Canada than in the United States. Violation of firearms restrictions may result in prosecution and imprisonment. As of January 1, 2001, visitors bringing any firearms into Canada, or planning to borrow and use firearms while in Canada, must declare the firearms in writing using a Non-Resident Firearm Declaration form. Visitors planning to borrow a firearm in Canada must obtain in advance a Temporary Firearms Borrowing License. These forms must be signed before a Canadian Border Services Agency (CBSA) officer at the border, and no photocopies are available at the border. Full details and downloadable forms are available at the Canadian Firearms Centre web site, under the heading "Visitors to Canada." (http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/information/visit/index-eng.htm) Canadian law requires that officials confiscate firearms and weapons from persons crossing the border who deny having the items in their possession. Confiscated firearms and weapons are never returned. Possession of an undeclared firearm may result in arrest and imprisonment.

Canada has three classes of firearms: non-restricted, restricted, and prohibited. Non-restricted firearms include most ordinary hunting rifles and shotguns. These may be brought temporarily into Canada for sporting or hunting use during hunting season, use in competitions, in-transit movement through Canada, or personal protection against wildlife in remote areas of Canada. Anyone wishing to bring hunting rifles into Canada must be at least 18 years old, must properly store the firearm for transport, and must follow the declaration requirements described above. Restricted firearms are primarily handguns; however, pepper spray, mace, and some knives also are included in this category. A restricted firearm may be brought into Canada, but an Authorization to Transport permit must be obtained in advance from a Provincial or Territorial Chief Firearms Officer. Prohibited firearms include fully automatic, converted automatics, and assault-type weapons. Prohibited firearms are not allowed into Canada.

CA_SHARPSHOOTER
12-04-2009, 8:45 AM
thanks for the info guys we are flying in but I have never traveled on an airline with a firearm any tips?

Cokebottle
12-04-2009, 9:21 AM
thanks for the info guys we are flying in but I have never traveled on an airline with a firearm any tips?
Checked bag, discreetly advise the person at the check-in counter (can't use curb-side) that you have a firearm in the bag, and you will probably be directed to your private screening.
Do not use the "TSA" locks... every shaved monkey in the airport has the key to those, and I believe TSA does not recommend them for securing a firearm. Personally unlock the bag and lock it after the inspection.

Clarify the procedure at the destination... will the bag come down the normal carousel, or will it be diverted and kept in a secured area for pickup.

M. Sage
12-04-2009, 6:49 PM
Checked bag, discreetly advise the person at the check-in counter (can't use curb-side) that you have a firearm in the bag, and you will probably be directed to your private screening.
Do not use the "TSA" locks... every shaved monkey in the airport has the key to those, and I believe TSA does not recommend them for securing a firearm. Personally unlock the bag and lock it after the inspection.

Clarify the procedure at the destination... will the bag come down the normal carousel, or will it be diverted and kept in a secured area for pickup.

Don't just say "I have a gun in my bag", the key wording is "I need to declare an unloaded firearm".

Cokebottle
12-04-2009, 7:14 PM
Don't just say "I have a gun in my bag", the key wording is "I need to declare an unloaded firearm".
Good point.

Either method will get you to private screening though ;)

apes
12-06-2009, 11:19 AM
I lived in the AK bush for a number of years and once we were returning from a shooting our .44mags at the dump we ran across a state trooper and he commented that it looked like we had a concieled weapons under under our jackets ( shoulder holster and the holster was peeking out from under the jackets ). he said that a Concieled weapon as a no-no but open carry was alright. Oddly enough in the 22 years I lived and camped up there I felt safer than if I were to camp along side the highway in the lower 48.

Big Jake
12-06-2009, 11:39 AM
Much of the issue of transporting firearms on airlines depends on the airline itself! I have traveled five times on American Airlines and transported in checked luggage with no problem.

Firearms must be in a locked case inside luggage. Unloaded of course, and ammo must be in origanal box. You may want to purchase extra insurance for checked firearms as they may not be covered if stolen.

This is what I do and is well worth it. I have only traveled on American Airlines with checked firearms so I cannot speak to other airlines policies, however, I have never had a problem.

No curbside check in, however, as you will have to go through seperate security.

sb_pete
12-06-2009, 1:47 PM
There was a good thread a while back on taking firearms on planes.

Here it is.
(http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=187755)
Here are some other good links:
JoeHuffman.org - Air Travel With Firearms (http://www.joehuffman.org/firearms/gunsplanes.htm)

Packing and the Friendly Skies (http://www.lewrockwell.com/orig10/ollam1.html) - By Deviant Ollam

Airline Report Cards (http://deviating.net/firearms/packing/report.html)- Deviant Ollam (US Airways gets top marks, JetBlue and NorthWest are rated dismally).

(PDF) Flying With Firearms: Domestic Laws and Policies (http://deviating.net/firearms/packing/legal_sheet.pdf) (PDF) - a brief made also by Deviant Ollam

A thread with a good story of why not to use TSA locks for firearms (http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulletin/general-firearm-discussion/42740-traveling-air-tsa-approved-locks-will-protect-your-guns-gear-think-again.html)

Bottom line is know the rules going in and have a good solid case and a good solid, non-TSA lock to lock your firearms in.

Hope that helps
-Pete

Kid Stanislaus
12-11-2009, 4:16 PM
Back in 1987 when we drove to Canada for a family vacation at the border my Dad, who is now retired LAPD had to check his gun in and picked it up on the way out.

Canada is sicker than CA.

CGK60
01-25-2010, 8:50 AM
Boy if i was younger and all my kids and grand kids would move to alaska we be there now.

Big Jake
01-25-2010, 9:22 AM
The great state of Arizona is almost as good as Alaska for firearms. Closer to Cali and a beautiful place!

Fjold
01-25-2010, 1:59 PM

It is actually a federal regulation that the owner/person checking the firearm is the only one with a key to the container that the firearm is in. TSA locks are strictly prohibited.