PDA

View Full Version : First AR15 Build Low Cost

Koolpsych
12-01-2009, 1:59 PM
Hi,

So this is my first rifle build and I thought I'd start out with something that I would have fun with. After reading over all the california laws I think I have tentatively decided on a build.

The Complete AR-15 16" Rifle Kit from Del-Ton
http://www.del-ton.com/Rifle_Kit_p/rkt101.htm

Calguns Stripped Lower from RifleGear
http://www.riflegear.com/p-592-calgunsnet-stripped-lower-by-kaiser-defense-bear-logo.aspx

I know that most people don't think that Del-Ton is a top of the line brand but I am looking to make the rifle low cost as I am still in college and want some money to spend on ammo and accessories.

I am asking though if there is any upgrades that I should get from Del-Ton or if there is anything else I will need to complete the AR?

gemini1
12-01-2009, 2:48 PM
Get the rifle kit and have it chrome lined. You going for carbine or midlenght?
Although midlenght is a good choice, Delton only use heavy barrels.

gun toting monkeyboy
12-01-2009, 3:23 PM
That is a decent starter rifle. There is nothing wrong with going with the mid-level guys to begin with. I did, and so did lots of other people here. Unless something is drastically wrong with the way they put it together, it will be a perfectly serviceable rifle that will last a long time.

As for upgrades, I agree with the chrome lining. I would also go with the basic flat top model. It is easier to put stuff on it, but that is a matter of personal preference, not functional importance like the chrome lining. The standard gas block with a regular front sight is also nice. Since it is the freebie option, I would go with it. If you think that you would rather be able to attach flip-up front sights, lights, lasers, tazers, phasers or can-openers, or any other do-hickies to the gas block, you could go with one of the gas blocks with rails for a bit more money. I got standard gas block/sights on my first couple of ARs. Then I went cruising online, and regretted not being able to attach everything short of a Buick to the gas block like all of the tacti-cool sites showed. So I got my next upper with a 4-rail gasblock, and had all kinds of junk sitting off the end of it looking like Sputnik. That lasted for about two weeks, then I realized what a tool I looked like with the tacti-cool garbage, and went back to a simpleflip up front sight. And truthfully, I would be just as happy with a fixed one at this point. I guess what I am trying to illustrate here is that the added flexibility of the rails on the gas block is nice, but not really needed most of the time.

Aside from the stuff you mentioned, you will need a 10 round magazine. And you will need a bullet button to make it California legal.

C_1
12-01-2009, 4:01 PM
Sounds like a good start. I would upgrade and get the barrel chromed and maybe the M4 feed ramps. Then all you need is a bullet button to put it together.

Of course, a rear sight, 10rd mags, along with other accessories, would be on the (very) short list..

But is there a particular reason why your going with the 16" rifle kit with heavy barrel? They have a 16" M4 rifle kit with a M4 barrel profile if you like that. DelTon also have the 16" light weight and 16" mid length rifle kits. I would recommend the latter 2 kits.

Koolpsych
12-01-2009, 4:59 PM
Sounds like a good start. I would upgrade and get the barrel chromed and maybe the M4 feed ramps. Then all you need is a bullet button to put it together.

Of course, a rear sight, 10rd mags, along with other accessories, would be on the (very) short list..

But is there a particular reason why your going with the 16" rifle kit with heavy barrel? They have a 16" M4 rifle kit with a M4 barrel profile if you like that. DelTon also have the 16" light weight and 16" mid length rifle kits. I would recommend the latter 2 kits.

There is not a real reason I was going to go with the 16" rifle kit. I had heard that the heavier barrel is better for longer distance shooting as this rifle would be a range rifle for me but if the mid-length or light weight rifle would work just as well I would definitely consider them, although I am not quite sure what the difference is between the standard and mid-length model other than the mid-length does not have the carrying handle on top. Why would the 16" light weight or 16" mid length kits be recommended? I also like the look of the M4 kit but am not sure if there is any benefit over the regular Ar15 kits other than looks.

Also the gas block, that is the part at the very tip of the gun where the forward site would be am I correct? I could still mount a scope with the standard A2 front site that comes with the gun? I don't really want my gun to look like it belongs in the movie Robocop so I'd like to keep it simple if possible :)

I looked into the chrome barrel and it looks like a good investment for the future of the gun.

wash
12-01-2009, 5:20 PM
Mid length refers to the location of the gas block.

The carbine has a shorter gas system, the rifle has a longer gas system. Mid length is considered pretty ideal for a 16" barrel.

With regular hand guards, a mid length system will also need mid length hand guards. If you really like the Magpul MOE handguards, that's a reason to go with a carbine length gas system because they don't come in mid length.

Either will work for you, mid length might just run smoother.

Are you going to buy this all in one shot?

If not, spending a few more dollars here and there could result in a higher quality gun and still an excellent value. For instance, see if that $300 Armalite upper is still available.

Acorn556
12-01-2009, 5:41 PM
I wouldn't worry about the M4 feedramps. It's more for full auto than semi.

C_1
12-01-2009, 5:45 PM
A heavier barrel would help with accuracy but a lightweight 16" carbine is very easy to maneuver. But I guess if it's your "longer distance shooting" rifle, I figure, if your going with the 16" heavy barrel, mind as well get the mid length heavy barrel, which runs a lil "better" than a carbine length.

I would highly recommend something a little better than DelTon, but since its your first AR, and your on a student budget, it should be ok for now.

gun toting monkeyboy
12-01-2009, 6:42 PM
Yes, that is where the sight goes. And yes, you can mount a scope or a sight on a flat top receiver and still see through it, even with an A2 front sight. But you will need something called "risers" to raise the scope up about 1/2 an inch. Yankee Hill Machinery makes some decent and fairly inexpensive ones. That will raise the centerline of your scope up enough so that the crosshairs or red dot aren't smack dab in the middle of the sight base when you look through them. If you go with the A2 receiver, the scope mounts directly on the handle, or on something attached to the top of the handle, so your scope ends up much higher than on the flat top models. With all of the nifty, new red dot scopes and such, there is a reason the A2 is falling out of favor.

As for the gas tube length, it is really up to you. The mid length is supposed to be easier on the gun, and possibly reduce the felt recoil. But carbine length gas system has been around for quite a while, and many people don't seem to have any problems with it. If you are on a budget, I would go with the carbine length. It is usually cheaper, and any after market goodies you want to put on it later will also be cheaper, as there are more people making and buying carbine things, so the price stays down.

With the barrel weight, most manufacturers use heavy barrels nowadays. They are stiffer, and tend to be a bit more accurate than the older, thinner models. You can still find light weight barrels out there, as well as bull barrels. They all have specific niches that they fill. Whether these niches are real or imaginary depends on who you talk to. Again, for your basic, first rifle, go with the HBAR. They normally give you better accuracy than a light weight barrel, without the added weight of a bull barrel. If you want to build a specialty upper later, have at it. But you should be trying to get a jack-of-all-trades set up first. You never know how long it will be until you have the funds to put something else together. I remember being a college student. Get this one built to handle 90% of your Black Rifle needs, and worry about a CBQ Tacti-Cool or 300+ yard varmint rig later.

-Mb

railroader
12-01-2009, 7:05 PM
If you are going with a heavy barrel go with the midlength. If you want something that's light go with the m4, they are lightweight under the handguards. If you order a "lightweight" kit you will be waiting for quite a while as in many many months. As others have suggested go with the flat top and a chrome lined barrel. The flattop will give you better options down the road whether it is a carry handle, red dot or scope. I have both the del-ton m4 and the middy. I can say I'm completely satisfied. I haven't shot tactical courses or been to war with them but they work just fine at the range or when I go out to the desert. Lastly if you do decide to go with del-ton you might want to call them to see what the availability of the different kits are. Good luck, Mark

aplinker
12-01-2009, 7:17 PM
There's a $700 stag 2T in the for-sales now.

You can find deals like that frequently.

I would go that route.