PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding caliber marked lower

sonico
12-01-2009, 12:37 PM
Hello Gents,

I purchased a Stag model 2 a few months back and couldn't be happier with the rifle, reliable, accurate and just damn fun to shoot. If I understand correctly, I can change the upper with one of a 6.8 SPC variety, get some magazines for the new caliber and be good to go.

The rub is my lower is marked "5.56", I was led to believe by my local gunshop (who also told me I couldn't drop mags with a bullet button without creating an AW) that because the caliber was marked on the lower it would be illegal to install an upper of any other caliber on the lower. Truth or FUD?

gun toting monkeyboy
12-01-2009, 12:42 PM
That is a load of crap. Your lower can be marked with whatever you want. .223, 5.56, 6.8, .577 T-Rex, Pulse rifle with a 40 kilowatt range... It doesn't matter. You can swap out uppers to your heart's content. As long as you don't make an illegal AW by not following the AW flow chart, you can put anything on there you want. The caliber has nothing to do with making it an AW. Unless, of course, you put an illegal .50 BGM upper on it. Which would be illegal because it wasn't licensed as a .50 BMG prior to the cut off date. Not because the lower is marked 5.56.

MasterYong
12-01-2009, 12:43 PM
Hello Gents,

I purchased a Stag model 2 a few months back and couldn't be happier with the rifle, reliable, accurate and just damn fun to shoot. If I understand correctly, I can change the upper with one of a 6.8 SPC variety, get some magazines for the new caliber and be good to go.

The rub is my lower is marked "5.56", I was led to believe by my local gunshop (who also told me I couldn't drop mags with a bullet button without creating an AW) that because the caliber was marked on the lower it would be illegal to install an upper of any other caliber on the lower. Truth or FUD?

FUD of the most ridiculous kind. I've rarely heard FUD so blatantly wrong.

Super Spy
12-01-2009, 12:43 PM
I'm guessing FUD.....

Phireglass
12-01-2009, 12:46 PM
Please, don't contribute to those idiots, get that 6.8 upper and have fun!

sonico
12-01-2009, 12:47 PM
Thanks guys, you confirmed my gut feeling. I believe they wanted to sell me a new lower (M&P with no caliber markings).

theseacow
12-01-2009, 12:48 PM
you can even make your own lower and mark it with whatever you want, like EATME. What kind of upper would you need for that? lol

xtalpimp
12-01-2009, 1:59 PM
Just thikk about it for a second you said that M&P had no caliber markings... does that mean it can never take any caliber with the same line of reasoning?

aermotor
12-01-2009, 2:14 PM
Good questions, I've heard that FUD as well. Greater answers :)