PDA

View Full Version : Thanksgiving range report

rc50cal
12-01-2009, 11:42 AM
The day after Thanksgiving I took my pops and brother out to Angeles for a day of family fun. It was our first time to that range, and we had a blast. We brought a trunk full of rifles (Garand, 1903, Remington .30-06 Pump, SKS, LMT Defender 2000, and Beowulf) and 400 rounds of ammo. :D We brought a camera, but forgot to use it, so no pics. Sorry.

Here are reports of our experience with each rifle.

Garand: I forgot the ammo. Groan. Consequently, I still have not been able to fire this rifle. Such a tragedy.

1903: This rifle was a beautiful Springfield that my father purchased from CMP. Kicks like a mule. We only had 40 rounds of .30-06 to share between this rifle and the old pump, and we had difficulty sighting this rifle in. It appears to shoot way to the right of where the sights are pointed. It was still fun though.

Remington Pump: This one is an old hunting rifle from the 60's with an equally ancient Leupold scope. We had no problem getting it sighted in, and it was a blast to shoot. It was also the only rifle with a scope that we brought with us that day. I had great fun shooting the steel targets with it.

SKS: I love my Norinco SKS. What a great gun. I hadn't fired it in 10 years, and I forgot what a blast it is to shoot. I can't even explain why SKSs are so much fun.

LMT: You guys are responsible for this rifle - BRD contracted from Calguns. I had never fired the LMT before Friday. We ran about 200 rounds of PMC Bronze and Remington Green box ammo through it. No FTF or FTE - it ran like a dream. Once I finally got the carbine sighted in, I didn't have too much trouble hitting the steel at 200 with iron sights. I don't love the factory trigger though - pretty stiff.

Beowulf: This was also the first time out with Beowulf. This thing puts the boom in boomstick. I flinched so hard on when I pulled the trigger for the 11th time. It was actually much more comfortable shooting while standing up. I forgot to bring back up batteries for my holo sight, and the batteries went dead before I really got it sighted in, so I only fired 20 rounds. I had two FTFs using 334 gr AA factory ammo. Both times the firing pin had dimpled the primer, but the round failed to go off. I don't really know what was causing the problem. I assembled the lower, so it could be that. It could be the ammo. It could be the shooter!

Anyway, I had a great time and I can't wait to head back.

Arteel
12-01-2009, 12:53 PM
Double check that you have your hammer spring installed correctly on the beowulf.

technique
12-01-2009, 2:07 PM
Beowulf: This was also the first time out with Beowulf. This thing puts the boom in boomstick. I flinched so hard on when I pulled the trigger for the 11th time. It was actually much more comfortable shooting while standing up. I forgot to bring back up batteries for my holo sight, and the batteries went dead before I really got it sighted in, so I only fired 20 rounds. I had two FTFs using 334 gr AA factory ammo. Both times the firing pin had dimpled the primer, but the round failed to go off. I don't really know what was causing the problem. I assembled the lower, so it could be that. It could be the ammo. It could be the shooter!

Anyway, I had a great time and I can't wait to head back.

You will get a dimple no matter what. So long as it chambers it will have a dimple. You can chamber then extract and have a dimple.

No BUIS?:eek:

rc50cal
12-01-2009, 4:02 PM
I will check the hammer spring. As for the back up sights, I ran out of money!

NaughtyMonkey
12-01-2009, 4:08 PM
Garand as in M1 Garand? Well my M1 shoots .30-06 so you should have been able to shoot it, if you had 40 rounds of .30-06.

StraightArch
12-01-2009, 4:14 PM
Garand as in M1 Garand? Well my M1 shoots .30-06 so you should have been able to shoot it, if you had 40 rounds of .30-06.

Some M1's have been re-chambered in .308 and some "new" production m1's are also chambered in .308.

NaughtyMonkey
12-01-2009, 4:15 PM
Some M1's have been re-chambered in .308 and some "new" production m1's are also chambered in .308.

I heard about that some where, lame, keep things orginal :)

StraightArch
12-01-2009, 4:20 PM
I heard about that some where, lame, keep things orginal :)

Well I think that it's good that people some re-chamber their rifles, more .30-06 for me:D. And if its you SHTF you might have a better time finding .308 considering alot of 7.62x51 is made with .308 headspace. So you might find some ammo from military sources.

Just saying. But I don't plan on the SHTF anytime soon so... yah.

NaughtyMonkey
12-01-2009, 4:23 PM
I'm all about original things. Not changing or modifying things, but thats just me. Agreed on the more .30-06 for me, haha, never thought of it that way.

rc50cal
12-01-2009, 6:08 PM
The .30-06 was commercial production with about the same fps as M2 ball but not the same powder burn rate. I didn't want to risk bending the op rod. I had Garand safe ammo at home.