PDA

View Full Version : iphone=verizon

packnrat
11-30-2009, 11:45 PM
can the iphone be altered to work on the verizon network?
at&t sucks when not in a city.

ke6guj
11-30-2009, 11:53 PM
nope.

Verizon uses CDMA and the iPhone uses GSM, not compatible.

Tragic Image
12-01-2009, 12:06 AM
the iPhone was originally pitched to Verizon.... Verizon didn't think the concept was viable...

IDIOTS!.

Cardinal Sin
12-01-2009, 12:10 AM
Verizon really screwed the pooch on that deal. Guess we'll have to wait a few years before they can carry it . . . morons.

Technical Ted
12-01-2009, 12:21 AM
AT&T's exclusive agreement with Apple is rumored to end in mid-2010. There are also ongoing rumors that Apple may be producing phones for Verizon by the end of the year.

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/09/11/06/report_apple_to_launch_verizon_iphone_in_q3_2010.h tml

packnrat
12-01-2009, 12:29 AM
yea, but I got four bills into this iphone, need to keep it up and running for some years before dumping it.
and need to dump at&t sooner.

at one time they were a good cell co, but now it has gone to.......

ocabj
12-01-2009, 5:39 AM
It's highly probable that Apple has a CDMA iPhone already in beta in preparation opening up the iPhone to non-GSM networks.

glock_this
12-01-2009, 6:09 AM
It's highly probable that Apple has a CDMA iPhone already in beta in preparation opening up the iPhone to non-GSM networks.

I bought a laptop from a guy a few months back who claimed his brother worked for Apple and in fact, they are testing one right now in San Diego. The guy was credible.

Rumors abound on this topic for over a year all over the web.

Best new rumor in last month is that with a new Qualcomm chip Apple is in the process of making a dual band - yes dual band - iPhone.

Google "verizon iphone" your head will spin.

but as of now, no way to take a current iPhone to VZW

PeterGenius
12-01-2009, 6:41 AM
Looks like they are trying to make up for lost time in a big way!

ocabj
12-01-2009, 7:12 AM
It's a known fact that Apple has hardware/software in development years and in testing in controlled/secured facilities before they ever see the light of day.

I wouldn't be surprised if Apple had a CDMA iPhone in development side-by-side with the GSM iPhone since day 1.

JDay
12-01-2009, 1:33 PM
AT&T's exclusive agreement with Apple is rumored to end in mid-2010. There are also ongoing rumors that Apple may be producing phones for Verizon by the end of the year.

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/09/11/06/report_apple_to_launch_verizon_iphone_in_q3_2010.h tml

Not after this ad campaign.

<object width="640" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/NuiRilpBwfc&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/NuiRilpBwfc&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="505"></embed></object>

The iPhone is overrated and you have to void the warranty by unlocking it if you wish to install unapproved applications. Android on the other hand is open and doesn't require unlocking to install unapproved applications.

JDay
12-01-2009, 1:35 PM
yea, but I got four bills into this iphone, need to keep it up and running for some years before dumping it.
and need to dump at&t sooner.

at one time they were a good cell co, but now it has gone to.......

Jailbreak the phone and switch to T-Mobile then.

Technical Ted
12-01-2009, 1:48 PM

The iPhone is overrated and you have to void the warranty by unlocking it if you wish to install unapproved applications. Android on the other hand is open and doesn't require unlocking to install unapproved applications.
Yeah the Android is a much better product, but if Apple were to suddenly change their mind and offer the iPhone to Verizon, the Verizon marketing department would turn on a dime and start hawking iPhones. iPhone has substantially better customer recognition.

PolishMike
12-01-2009, 1:48 PM
G1>iPhone.

glock_this
12-01-2009, 1:49 PM

though I agree about the Android platform - open platforms are the way to go at the smartest move, the need to jailbreak an iPhone is becoming less and less of a need, unlike the first few models. with recent OS upgrades, and at over 100k apps, there is little need to load 'unapproved' apps as almost everything you want is a legit app readily available.

the iPhone IS the phone everyone wants to be. Even Android is playing catch up - very very few apps available. give it time, but still, everyone develops for Apple and iPhone.

cyphr02
12-01-2009, 1:52 PM
no point in Vz iPhine with the droid out, that thing looks pretty cool. Not a big fan of Verizon's intrusive software though

JDay
12-01-2009, 1:52 PM
though I agree about the Android platform - open platforms are the way to go at the smartest move, the need to jailbreak an iPhone is becoming less and less of a need, unlike the first few models. with recent OS upgrades, and at over 100k apps, there is little need to load 'unapproved' apps as almost everything you want is a legit app readily available.

the iPhone IS the phone everyone wants to be. Even Android is playing catch up - very very few apps available. give it time, but still, everyone develops for Apple and iPhone.

Not true and not the point, Apple and AT&T as of now get to decide what apps you can and can not have for your phone. One example, Google Voice.

glock_this
12-01-2009, 2:02 PM
so what if they get to decide what apps come loaded... there are +120,000 apps.. more daily .. is there really something at this stage you cannot get?

The apps, IMHO, really make the phone difference between the iPhone and Android. Believe me, I am an Android fan, BUT they are way behind in apps and that is, at this stage, part of what the AVERAGE consumer may consider. a few hundred apps or a hundred thousand plus, you decide. the interfaces and GUI and function are pretty similar, and will only get better in Android since it is open platform. but again, they are still being the 8 ball right now.

and hell.. everyone knows ATT sucks as a carrier for signal & cust service and VZW sucks as they have few cool phones to select from and are known to hamstring their phones.

beerup949
12-01-2009, 2:08 PM
My mom works for Verizon and it will be when they get their 4g network, most likely 2010-2011.

sfwdiy
12-01-2009, 2:28 PM
so what if they get to decide what apps come loaded... there are +120,000 apps.. more daily .. is there really something at this stage you cannot get?

The apps, IMHO, really make the phone difference between the iPhone and Android. Believe me, I am an Android fan, BUT they are way behind in apps and that is, at this stage, part of what the AVERAGE consumer may consider. a few hundred apps or a hundred thousand plus, you decide. the interfaces and GUI and function are pretty similar, and will only get better in Android since it is open platform. but again, they are still being the 8 ball right now.

and hell.. everyone knows ATT sucks as a carrier for signal & cust service and VZW sucks as they have few cool phones to select from and are known to hamstring their phones.

It's not a matter of what apps come loaded on the phone, it's a matter of what apps Apple and AT$T decide to allow into the app store in the first place. They denied the official Google Voice app from the app store. This really torqued me as I use Google Voice for everything.

From everything I've read, Verizon hasn't crippled the Droid in any way, with the exception of disallowing tethering. But that's what PDANet (http://www.junefabrics.com/android/index.php) is for.

--B

JDay
12-01-2009, 3:13 PM

Yes, Apple has final say on what apps can and cannot be on the app store. I also wasn't talking about pre-loaded apps. Just try to find a Google Voice app on the app store, or a tethering app. Most of those 120,000+ apps on the app store are useless too.

glock_this
12-01-2009, 3:28 PM
come on... 120k apps and most are useless.. not!

I agree about the google voice, it is cool as I used in on the Droid, but it will happen in time, or something similar. almost everything has happened in time on the phone.. also, think of all the 100 things they did before anyone else, so hard to hold this against them.

I also wasn't thinking of preloaded apps really.. which is why I noted +120k apps to select from. that is a hella crazy amount and I bet if a developer has resources to use 1 SDK and develop for 1 platform, it will be the iPhone first as it is prove, the model is in place, etc

JDay
12-01-2009, 4:31 PM
come on... 120k apps and most are useless.. not!

I agree about the google voice, it is cool as I used in on the Droid, but it will happen in time, or something similar. almost everything has happened in time on the phone.. also, think of all the 100 things they did before anyone else, so hard to hold this against them.

I also wasn't thinking of preloaded apps really.. which is why I noted +120k apps to select from. that is a hella crazy amount and I bet if a developer has resources to use 1 SDK and develop for 1 platform, it will be the iPhone first as it is prove, the model is in place, etc

How many of those apps are a. useful, b. aren't a copy of another app and c. aren't a game? Your 120k+ number just dropped to the hundreds, possibly lower.

Californio
12-01-2009, 4:59 PM
Maybe after June 2010, I hope. AT&T has poor coverage in my area.

http://www.macrumors.com/2009/11/28/apple-starts-field-testing-next-generation-iphone-31/

iPhone developer Pandav has informed MacRumors that they have spotted usage records for an unreleased iPhone in their app's analytics. The app used was iBART [Free / Paid], a public transportation guide for the San Francisco train system.

PinchMedia who provides the analytics for the application breaks down customer usage including what specific devices are being used. This list of devices is reported to developers using internal device identification numbers assigned by Apple. In this case, "iPhone3,1" was first spotted in Pandav's usage logs in November. This "iPhone3,1" identifier does not match up with any shipping iPhones. The last iPhone released to the public was the iPhone 3GS which carries the identification string "iPhone2,1".

References to "iPhone3,1" was first discovered in the iPhone firmware files back in August, but this seems to be the first time that it has been spotted "in the wild". Apple similarly began testing the iPhone 3GS (iPhone2,1) back in October of 2008 about 8 months ahead of its launch. At the time, the usage was similarly focused in the San Francisco Bay Area where Apple is located.

There have been few details about what the next generation iPhone might include, though early rumors had pegged a multi-core processor that could enhance performance significantly. There have also been rumors of Verizon compatibility as early as mid 2010.

wilit
12-01-2009, 5:31 PM
the iPhone was originally pitched to Verizon.... Verizon didn't think the concept was viable...

IDIOTS!.

That's not why. It's because we didn't want to bend over and take it for an exclusive contract with Apple. I have heard internal rumors that that the iPhone will be coming to VzW next year.

glock_this
12-01-2009, 5:38 PM
its also, in part, that VZW is known for ham stringing any phone that gets on their network as they do not like to support anything they do not have to with calls and tech support and cust service. but they are also known for overly testing, if not overly overly testing, phones before they allow them in. but when they do, they often limit their true capabilities... Apple was reported not cool with that.

But then again, guys that crack and hack these phones have found hidden abilities built into the iPhone from day 1 that were never turned on. So, they ham strung their own phones.

jarhead995
12-01-2009, 8:29 PM

IDIOTS!.

It'll be here in a year when the AT&T contract ends just wait for it.

2DoorImpala
12-01-2009, 10:54 PM
Installous ftw

FreedomIsNotFree
12-02-2009, 12:44 AM
At the beginning of September a report came out estimating the Android Market had over 10,000 apps. And most are free. Not too shabby I'd say.

http://www.androidguys.com/2009/09/08/android-market-estimated-to-have-10000-apps/

Currently, 3 of the 4 top wireless carriers in the nation carry an Android OS based device. Everyone but AT&T.

The Android customer base has exploded over the past 2 months. Considering the open nature of the OS it makes it very easy for devs to write new cool apps. Not just that, but the entire look and feel of Android devices can be manipulated. The Android device you have today can be completely different in 6 months via updates that are performed OTA(over the air).

In regards to why VZW didn't get in bed with Apple on the iPhone...what many fail to realize is Apple gets the vast majority of the profit from the data plans the iPhones require.

Huge money is made off data charges. It's the future of wireless and I don't blame VZW on bit for not bowing down to Apple and their ridiculous profit demands. You basically had a newcomer to the game demand too much from the most profitable company in the game.

The achilles of the iPhone is the network its on. If anyone thinks Apple isn't chomping at the bit to more than double their customer base while taking advantage of a better data network they are simply crazy. I would be very surprised NOT to see an iPhone or similar device on VZW within the year.

caoboy
12-02-2009, 1:03 AM
I keep telling my mom to wait for the Iphone to come out to verizon...I know it will eventually..but she's about to switch back to atnt just for it. She purchased an itouch, and can't get over how useful it is...I keep telling her that the 3g network for atnt sucks BAWLZ and she'll end up hating it.

If Apple really does go through to VZW that'll be awesome...I just wish 'bundle plans' were cheaper...

2DoorImpala
12-02-2009, 9:34 AM
Depends on your area. I have AT&T on my iPhone and I've yet to see it drop under 3bars.Around my area I get 5bars eerywhere I go

Technical Ted
12-02-2009, 12:53 PM
http://digitaldaily.allthingsd.com/20091202/court-dimisses-atts-lawsuit-against-verizon/
Evidently, AT&T has finally realized that the public relations blowback from its complaints about Verizon’s “There’s a Map for That” and “Island of Misfit Toys” commercials is doing more damage to its brand than the ads themselves. This morning, AT&T (T) and Verizon (VZ) agreed to dismiss a lawsuit over the ads, which AT&T said misled consumers into thinking that the carrier doesn’t offer wireless service in large portions of the country.

The dismissal comes two weeks after a court ruled that while Verizon commercials might be “sneaky,” they were not really deceptive. Seems the “irreparable harm” AT&T claimed to have suffered as a result of the ads wasn’t so irreparable after all.

Both companies declined comment on the matter beyond the dismissals themselves, which are embedded below. Verizon did note, however, that it has begun running a new commercial that features the maps at issue in the suit.

pcISin
12-03-2009, 5:54 AM
Thats funny I heard apple is renewing there contracts with AT&T for another couple of years.

glock_this
12-03-2009, 6:30 AM
just wait.. it will come

stormy_clothing
12-03-2009, 9:46 AM
You guys need to understand CDMA is a different technology than GSM a Verizon Iphone 3 years ago was not viable for a number of technical reasons not the least of which CDMA is not as battery friendly, and it doesn't penetrate structures as well leaving business users with blank spots in there buildings. In order to compensate for this you have to build an even bigger battery vampire.

ATT is teh ghey instead of leap frogging to LTE like Verizon is doing now they are going to push out hsdpa to it's limit first.

The iphone is going to be a thing of the past like the original macintosh - people say you can get x numbers of apps - but how about google voice app which cuts my phone bill for the same services I had on ATT down another 120 bux a year or the advanced task killer which boosts the battery usage on my droid considerably or google sky so I can impress the ladies or HD video.

I jail broke and unlocked my iphone 3gs 32gb last week and sold it used on ebay for 630.00 bux and bought a droid on verizon for 200 but even without the extra cash it still was a good move.

Android is FTW and with google releasing there own phone early next year the tidal wave of hundreds of devices running googles OS will simply bury the iphone.

glock_this
12-03-2009, 9:58 AM
dude.. that is such old new in this debate. CDMA versus GSM network. Verizon versus AT&T. old news

I guessed you missed the latest news about the dual band CDMA/GSM chip by Qualcomm? That is part of the "newest" rumor (http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/09/11/06/report_apple_to_launch_verizon_iphone_in_q3_2010.h tml) and adds validity too a possible vZW iPhone... yes, a VZW iPhone even on a CDMA network using the worldmode hybrid chip.

stormy_clothing
12-03-2009, 10:19 AM
That's funny you say 1 thing is old news and post up another, kinda ironic.

I work in the telco billing industry and get all kinds of heads up info from the international market well before it's published online. And by the time the Iphone could ever make it to Verizon few people are going to care.

glock_this
12-03-2009, 10:23 AM
That's funny you say 1 thing is old news and post up another, kinda ironic.

I work in the telco billing industry and get all kinds of heads up info from the international market well before it's published online.

huh?

the CDMA versus GMS relative to VZW getting an iPhone is years old info/debate/topic - we are way past that discussion

what I posted up just came to light last month - totally new news

so, as an "insider", your saying the new news I mentioned was old to you? maybe so, but not to the general public AND how it has direct ties to the iPhone and VZW issue relative to the CDMA network squak

stormy_clothing
12-03-2009, 10:26 AM
google iphone nano - that concept came from the need to build a totally unique Iphone for other carriers including verizon that would get around there agreement with ATT and to provide a possible go phone for teens that wanted the other functions like music and parents wishing to control usage.

The rumor your talking about is an extension of the same idea though some changes are being made per international standards changes. And the reality that contracts are coming to an end sooner rather than later for cell service though not necessarily data.

The recently announced google phone and the mention that people haven't seen the real android yet points to something is also old news cell service is going voip and att and Verizon are trying to build new models to account for free service where ever there is free wifi. Which is growing by leaps and bounds.

glock_this
12-03-2009, 10:35 AM
still not following your point or the tie in here

I read all about the iphone nano at the time, but the "iphone nano" is total BS vaperware. nothing in that is an extension of what we are talking about here. The form factor the the next possible iPhone is not really key here, though it adds some credence to the speculation, but it is not the real key to the story.

However, a new Qualcomm dual band, world-mode chip - just recently announced and that exists.. the real deal. The only question with it is WILL it make it into a VZW iPhone.. not if it exists or if it is possible. not vaperware.

but anyway....

stormy_clothing
12-03-2009, 10:58 AM
lol again with irony - your rumor that the iphone may go to a dual band iphone chipset from a different company no less vs a rumor that apple could develop smaller and less featured alternatives to a phone just like they have in all other product lines is BS vaporware - lol. And FYI the phones "were" built and "are" being tested for sales outside the US.

Here's the problem with your thoughts the 4g Iphone has existed since June when one was reported stolen and the guy responsible for delivering a dozen of them said one was missing and he latter fell off the 12th floor of his apartment building after getting beat up by security already. - Thats a fact.

That you think a new chipset that just got introduced will make it into a phone already 6 months into field trials is not.

The only question is why would verizon go to the iphone - apple gets 30% on the app store sales - verizon is going to want another 10% of the app store income and what developer is going to want to give away 40% when they can add stuff to the android market and keep 90% especially since there is already 18 android phones for sure with another 30 rumored - net books and picture frames and motorcycle displays ect that are to be added to that. ?

This article touches on what I've just said and refutes the idea that it's coming anytime soon for obviuos reasons.

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/09/11/30/rumors_of_qualcomm_apple_iphone_deal_persist.html

caoboy
12-03-2009, 11:28 AM
The Droid ISN'T THE iPhone. It's not as smooth, it's not as savvy, it's plasticky, it's not what everyone is anticipating.

UNTIL the iphone comes out to verizon, every verizon phone that is a touchscreen, media/browser/app available phone is going to be compared to the iphone, and fail.

My mom would have went with the droid, had the iphone apps been available to her, since her other friends have the iphone (she had an itouch) and they use certain apps to chat with each other (don't ask me, they are kind of weird)

She went and canceled her contract with Verizon and hopped back over to ATnT...JUST for the iphone.

stormy_clothing
12-03-2009, 12:21 PM
the droid is better than the iphone - I can get free turn by turn which runs while I listen to music and then I see something cool while riding and snap a pic and email it, then take a phone call over the data network or send sms without being billed - pause all of that to watch near streaming HD video and then start back up without missing a beat - I don't have to jailbreak it to run multiple applications - I don't have to tie two tegether to get the same quality video and tethering is not block I simply install june fabrics app for a 1 time 30 dollar fee and I'm done.

And with all of the hype about stand alone ereaders compare the two screens for reading text = droid wins and even with the buggy camera that needs a nupdate I was still able to take this pic while riding my motorcycle which shows a prototype chevy electric truck.

Iphone cant. Oh and not to mention the battery saver app which is free for the droid which has stretched out charging to 3 days for me.

http://img709.imageshack.us/img709/6698/20091129152005.jpg

JDay
12-03-2009, 12:24 PM
dude.. that is such old new in this debate. CDMA versus GSM network. Verizon versus AT&T. old news

I guessed you missed the latest news about the dual band CDMA/GSM chip by Qualcomm? That is part of the "newest" rumor (http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/09/11/06/report_apple_to_launch_verizon_iphone_in_q3_2010.h tml) and adds validity too a possible vZW iPhone... yes, a VZW iPhone even on a CDMA network using the worldmode hybrid chip.

The EU version of the Motorola Droid is CDMA/GSM.

ocabj
12-03-2009, 1:42 PM
I've essentially been with the same mobile phone company since my first cell in 1997 (PacBell PCS). PacBell PCS became Cingular which became AT&T Wireless. Same account since 1997 (one number from 1997 to 2000; changed number in 2000 and stayed same to present).

Never had a reason to switch.

Vanguard
12-03-2009, 2:02 PM
I've been debating for months on a new phone for my wife. At first I was going to go with an iPhone (which I still think is awesome) but I decided to go with a Droid. Not only that, after comparing them extensively, I ordered one for myself too. The iPhone is great, I won't knock it, but the Droid is better in my opinion. It just LETS you do more without wanting to charge you for it or lock you out of doing it. More versatility, utility, and functionality IMO.

That being said, I can't wait to see what Apple will come out with next since they have some real competition now.

The only winner in the Droid vs. iPhone fight is the consumer.

glock_this
12-03-2009, 3:08 PM
well... we can go round and round on this and each provide endless links to stories both ways of confirm and deny - pundits on both sides.. also, yes, droid can do things iPhone cannot and vice versa.. tit for tat. but it gets tiresome. my original point where we got going was the CDMA versus GSM is old news, and has ways around it - dual chip shows that. So, still talking about that as the killer reason is mute point.

also, I think we are crossing signals. some of the stuff we agree on, some we do not. TONS of rumors - a VZW iPhone exists, doesn't, does, maybe. some stuff in test will never make to market, hence the "testing".

yes, I knew about the security guard.

HUGE fan of droid, side that on first page, can go back and read as I already said my opinions on droid vs iphone... that is, if you care. I wouldn't :)

glock_this
12-03-2009, 3:13 PM
The EU version of the Motorola Droid is CDMA/GSM.

we do not want to even go down this road.. the stuff that EU or Asia has makes us SO far behind the times it is a joke. 2 much USA restrictions and competing companies wanting control and say has limited what we get.

I have been many times to EU countries - the have stuff by brand names that is awesome and we will NEVER see or see years later when it is old news.

so, who cares what they have, does not really even matter for us or this topic really and just muddies the waters.

GrinderCB
12-03-2009, 7:43 PM
can the iphone be altered to work on the verizon network?
at&t sucks when not in a city.

The iPhone in No. America will only work on AT&T or T-Mobile's networks. You buy it from AT&T, find a loophole to snake your way out of the contract, unlock it, and sign up with T-Mobile.

Three things would have to happen for Verizon to get the iPhone:

- AT&T's exclusivity with Apple has to expire...probably end of 2009

- Apple & Verizon's developers have to come up with an iPhone model that works well on the Verizon network...not easy and would take time

- Finally, a business deal has to be struck between Verizon & Apple...the execs try to figure out a way that both companies make money...therein lies the rub.

Verizon's business model centers around the network, not the handset, but as far as equipment they're committed to Blackberries and Android phones as their primary advanced models. Don't hold your breath waiting for a Verizon iPhone. They probably won't ever offer it; Apple simply wants too much money from the carrier and Verizon's execs don't believe they need it to be the dominant player.

Acorn556
12-09-2009, 2:24 AM
To those with the droid....do you HAVE to have a blackberry plan with it? I'm trying to figure out how to SKYPE and cut the phone bill down as much as possible.

BIGCHRIS
12-09-2009, 8:10 AM
Yes you do have to have the blackberry plan with it,I found this out yesterday when I was looking at the Droid, I have the LG Dare and its ok as a cell phone, but nothing to write home about, I will just wait for the Iphone to come to VZW.

Acorn556
12-11-2009, 8:56 AM
I have the same phone. I got it the DAY it came out. I'm wonderig if the Droid is really worth the Blackberry plan. I really like the DARE. Unlimited everything so I don't see much of an advantage of switching. I don't need half of the stuff on there and the DARE will do it anyways.

Warhawk014
12-11-2009, 10:38 AM
i think its woth it. got the droid for the wifey, got the droid eris for myself. paid a little over $500 for it, but they had a great deal going, get 100 dollar rebate per phone so i would have paid just a little over 300 for a couple of kick***** phones. yeah you have to have a data plan. but google goggles and google voice and google maps and navi, plus all unlimited data. not to mention all the different things you can do, like run multiple apps at once is great. but then again this is my first smart phone and my exp. with smart phones is really limited. so if you ask me, yes it was worth it to me. for some of the other tech savvy guys on this forum, maybe not.

ohh and the htc sense ui is AWSOME

JDay
12-11-2009, 6:59 PM
Yes you do have to have the blackberry plan with it,I found this out yesterday when I was looking at the Droid, I have the LG Dare and its ok as a cell phone, but nothing to write home about, I will just wait for the Iphone to come to VZW.

No you don't, you can order the Droid with a service plan right on the Verizon website and it doesn't force a blackberry plan on you. Just a $45 unlimited data plan plus your voice plan.

FreedomIsNotFree
12-14-2009, 10:11 PM
No you don't, you can order the Droid with a service plan right on the Verizon website and it doesn't force a blackberry plan on you. Just a $45 unlimited data plan plus your voice plan.

I believe he meant "data plan" instead of "blackberry plan". And yes, the Droid, and every other PDA Verizon sells does require a data plan. $29.99 for basic consumer use, $44.99 for corporate users on a BES or Exchange when added to a voice plan.

The $45 data plan you are talking about is for those that want data only...with no voice plan.

JDay
12-14-2009, 11:48 PM
I believe he meant "data plan" instead of "blackberry plan". And yes, the Droid, and every other PDA Verizon sells does require a data plan. $29.99 for basic consumer use, $44.99 for corporate users on a BES or Exchange when added to a voice plan.

The $45 data plan you are talking about is for those that want data only...with no voice plan.

Naw I think they jacked the price up, the $45 plan is in addition to the voice plan. I check on the site before I made that post.

FreedomIsNotFree
12-15-2009, 12:07 AM

Naw I think they jacked the price up, the $45 plan is in addition to the voice plan. I check on the site before I made that post.

Trust me on this. The $44.99 data plan is for corporate users using a BES or Exchange in conjunction with a voice plan. The $45 data plan is for data only with no attached voice plan, no data limit on either plan.

If its just the average Joe the data plan is $29.99 for unlimited data to the device. Again, in conjunction with a voice plan.

My profession makes me keenly aware of the pricing in regards to mobile voice and data charges.

Diesel70
12-16-2009, 10:22 AM

IDIOTS!.

That isn't a correct statement. Apple and VZW couldn't come to an acceptable agreement for both companies.

JDay
12-16-2009, 10:57 AM
That isn't a correct statement. Apple and VZW couldn't come to an acceptable agreement for both companies.

Yep, Apple wanted the same thing they demanded from AT&T, total control over the device and most of the profits.