PDA

View Full Version : Free float....Back to plastic handguards?....

FUSE
11-30-2009, 10:28 PM
So I purchased the Stag upper a long time ago with the factory installed Samson quad rail... Thing is, I'm getting tired of it... My biggest issue with it is.... Weight, I want to go lighter... I have a lot of empty rail space weighing in that could dissappear if I ran a different setup...

The only thing I really care about attaching to the rifle is a flashlight which can be accomplished by a FSP rail attachment or plastic handguards with rails..

I'm not exactly sure how to convert back to the setup with Plastic Handguards. I currently removed the Samson rail and just see a lonely Barrel Nut.. I know I will need these parts...
http://www.packrat-toyz.com/images/Leapers/tl-brnut-m.jpg

What else will I need?
Parts? Tools?
Can someone point me to some instructions?
I have never done this before. Is this going to be hard, or easy?
(See what happens you always purchase a complete upper assembly)

I'm also debating if this is going to be pretty involved to trying out a different free float handguard... Although I haven't found any that I'm really crazy about, and not every FFH has it's weight listed.. I know the Samson rail I have is 10.5 oz... I just don't really see myself spending a couple of hundred dollars to go down 2oz to the Daniel Defense 8.5 oz........Any thoughts? Suggestions?

ar15barrels
11-30-2009, 10:57 PM
Re-profile the barrel.
That will save you about a pound.

In order to go back to plastic handguards, you have to remove the samson handguard and gas tube from the upper, remove the barrel from the receiver (barrel nut wrench and a receiver block mounted in a bench vise), install the delta ring, spring and snap ring.
Then re-install the barrel on the receiver, re-install the gas tube and snap the plastic handguards into place.

FUSE
11-30-2009, 11:21 PM
Thanks for the response, after reading your post and poking around here

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=226782

I feel better about changing it back myself. Looks like I need to get a few tools though..

Re-profiling the barrel is something to think about, although I am not sure if I will end up doing that. I was surprised to see I can shave almost another pound though!

Tweak338
11-30-2009, 11:25 PM
Re-profile the barrel.
That will save you about a pound.

In order to go back to plastic handguards, you have to remove the samson handguard and gas tube from the upper, remove the barrel from the receiver (barrel nut wrench and a receiver block mounted in a bench vise), install the delta ring, spring and snap ring.
Then re-install the barrel on the receiver, re-install the gas tube and snap the plastic handguards into place.
you forgot the handguard cap. that needs to be installed before the front sight.
So the FSB needs to be removed as well.

ar15barrels
11-30-2009, 11:26 PM
The tools to do it right will cost you a lot more than paying someone to just do it for you.
If you plan to build more uppers, then buy the tools.
If you don't generally build your guns, pay a professional.

ar15barrels
11-30-2009, 11:28 PM
you forgot the handguard cap. that needs to be installed before the front sight.
So the FSB needs to be removed as well.

I actually wrote about that, then deleted it.
Does stag ship the uppers with no handguard cap?
That's usually left on with troy/samson handguards.

Tweak338
11-30-2009, 11:29 PM
I actually wrote about that, then deleted it.
Does stag ship the uppers with no handguard cap?
That's usually left on with troy/samson handguards.
To be honest, I have no idea
Thats why I tossed that info in.

FUSE
11-30-2009, 11:52 PM
It does come with the handguard cap so it is on there.. Can you recommend a gunsmith in San Diego that would do it for me a reasonable price? I plan on pretty much just purchasing completed upper assemblies in the future.

(If i had to take the front sight off wouldn't I have to remove the flash hider as well?)

Tweak338
12-01-2009, 12:09 AM
(If i had to take the front sight off wouldn't I have to remove the flash hider as well?)
Yes

ar15barrels
12-01-2009, 12:10 AM
If i had to take the front sight off wouldn't I have to remove the flash hider as well?

Yes.

Standard
12-01-2009, 8:36 AM
Sell your upper and buy a stock one for a lot less.

CHS
12-01-2009, 8:55 AM
It does come with the handguard cap so it is on there.. Can you recommend a gunsmith in San Diego that would do it for me a reasonable price? I plan on pretty much just purchasing completed upper assemblies in the future.

Bring it to Riflegear.com. We'll do it for $55 (includes the new plastic handguards, $35 if you already have them). If we're not busy it's a while-you-wait service.

Purple K
12-01-2009, 9:06 AM
I'll be in San Diego in a few weeks and can bring the proper tools with me. Do you have access to a vise? What length handguards do you need? I have a few sets laying around.

FUSE
12-01-2009, 6:52 PM
I'll be in San Diego in a few weeks and can bring the proper tools with me. Do you have access to a vise? What length handguards do you need? I have a few sets laying around.

Hey thank you for the offer, I appreciate that but I will probably just end up going to Gusslers. They said they would be able to take care of me for a pretty good price.

Bring it to Riflegear.com. We'll do it for $55 (includes the new plastic handguards, $35 if you already have them). If we're not busy it's a while-you-wait service.
Thank you for the offer but you're a lot further away from then Gussler's so in the interest of distance I will probably be heading that route. Thanks again.

I ended up picking this up.. Figure I'll see how this works out..
http://www.makosecurity.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/FGR3_1.jpg
http://www.makosecurity.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/FGR3_full.jpg

aplinker
12-01-2009, 6:58 PM
You do realize you're only dropping 2oz, at most, right?

So I purchased the Stag upper a long time ago with the factory installed Samson quad rail... Thing is, I'm getting tired of it... My biggest issue with it is.... Weight, I want to go lighter... I have a lot of empty rail space weighing in that could dissappear if I ran a different setup...

The only thing I really care about attaching to the rifle is a flashlight which can be accomplished by a FSP rail attachment or plastic handguards with rails..

I'm not exactly sure how to convert back to the setup with Plastic Handguards. I currently removed the Samson rail and just see a lonely Barrel Nut.. I know I will need these parts...
http://www.packrat-toyz.com/images/Leapers/tl-brnut-m.jpg

What else will I need?
Parts? Tools?
Can someone point me to some instructions?
I have never done this before. Is this going to be hard, or easy?
(See what happens you always purchase a complete upper assembly)

I'm also debating if this is going to be pretty involved to trying out a different free float handguard... Although I haven't found any that I'm really crazy about, and not every FFH has it's weight listed.. I know the Samson rail I have is 10.5 oz... I just don't really see myself spending a couple of hundred dollars to go down 2oz to the Daniel Defense 8.5 oz........Any thoughts? Suggestions?

FUSE
12-01-2009, 7:14 PM
You do realize you're only dropping 2oz, at most, right?

Yeah I am fine with that.. I'll be spending less than 100 to achieve that which is worth it to me... But 2-300 not so much on the handguard part.. The few oz that I drop will all add up anyway as I re-configure my setup.

Plus I also had a stag upper just like mine except with the Plastic Handguards to borrow so I was able to compare the difference and decide it was worth it to me.

I am also considering changing my stock to the ACE Ultra Lite Stock and possibly getting rid of my EOTech for an AIMPOINTŪ MICRO T-1
http://riflestocks.com/catalog/images/ARUL.jpg

tacticalcity
12-01-2009, 7:17 PM
You would probably be better off selling your upper and using the money to buy an upper with a lighter barrel. With the rail, you'll break even.

CHS
12-01-2009, 8:04 PM
I ended up picking this up.. Figure I'll see how this works out..
http://www.makosecurity.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/FGR3_1.jpg

I'll tell you in advance that it'll probably work out like crap. It's Mako, don't expect it to work.

aplinker
12-01-2009, 8:08 PM
I'll tell you in advance that it'll probably work out like crap. It's Mako, don't expect it to work.

And the extra plastic = more weight.

You're spending a ****load to do NOTHING.

Double heat shield HGs weigh 9.3 oz. If your 10.5oz # is correct, you're losing 1.2 oz.

$50 to shave 1oz is ridiculous. Have your barrel profiled, sell your upper, do something else.