PDA

View Full Version : Mec Grabber powder drop problems.

upinflames2400
11-30-2009, 9:57 PM
Hi, my mec reloader for 12 gauge for some reason sometimes either doesnt drop powder in my win AA hulls or wont dump the full amount of the 19.2 grain powder bushing i have in the charge bar currently. Ive tried using other powder bushings and it still screws up. Does anyone have any suggestions on how about I would go fixing this?:mad:

Waldog
11-30-2009, 10:21 PM
Are you using the plastic baffle between your powder bottle and the charge bar? This is one that screws on to the powder bottle and then you screw that to your MEC press. I think is comes with the press.

If you are, get rid of the powder baffle and always keep your powder bottle at least 1/2 full you shouldn't have any more problems.

Sideline Shooter
12-01-2009, 9:23 AM
No,no,no. It is not the plastic bafflle. If you don't have one get one. It will make your drops more consistant. The problem is you need an adjustment. When you pull handle down, the little push thing that moves the red charge bar needs to be adjusted to push it all the way over. Also make sure you are pulling the handle all the way down so you get a full cycle. Go to the Mec website and download the schematic. I think it is listed in the trouble shooting section or the FAQ. I had the same problem when I first got mine. Good luck!

sideline shooter
One more thing. Do you have static in the bottles? Do you see a lot of flakes sticking to the bottle?

upinflames2400
12-01-2009, 4:06 PM
No there is no static usually in the powder bottles. After i finish reloading i usually dump them back into the red dot carton. Thanks for the help that definitely makes sense now. Found out the hard way by loading 500 duds for me and some friends one weekend to go trap shooting in Santa Barbara. Can you get the plastic baffles off of the mec website?

Waldog
12-01-2009, 4:16 PM
Yes, Yes, Yes! about getting rid of the powder baffle. I got that from a tech support guru at the MEC factory about 7-8 years ago. When I got rid of the baffle my powder charge consistency improve quite a lot as long as I maintained at least 1/2 bottle full of powder.

The throw arm adjustment is a good call though. If you are getting full bar throw then baffle would be my next suspect.

upinflames2400
12-01-2009, 4:39 PM
Yea, i just checked it in my garage and it seems that the throw bar is adjusted right, maybe it could push the charge bar a 1/16" over more but im not sure if it would make a huge difference. I also dont have a baffle on it, its just the threaded bottle connected to the bracket that holds the charge bar. It began to frustrate me. Taking shells apart to save all the components is a pain in the you know what. I only have 350 left though

Sideline Shooter
12-01-2009, 5:03 PM
Maybe, maybe, maybe!! your talking about the (old ) style metal baffle. I don't think that new plastic baffle has been around that long. Anyways it does seem to work for me. When refilling the powder tube I always run the press about 20 times to get the powder settled. Maybe mec didn't want you to use it because it's not a MEC part but aftermarket.

Taking apart bum loads is a pain but part of the learning curve.

sideline shooter

upinflames2400
12-01-2009, 8:01 PM
Do you have any suggestions as to what baffle to get or a good website to check out for them?

Waldog
12-01-2009, 8:28 PM
One other item to check. I had powder drop problems when I screwed the powder bottle in TIGHT. If the bottle is tight is smashes the the brass ring that acts a seal between the charge bar and bottle. The same Tech Rep suggested that I loosen the bottle until it is BARELY snug and then unscrew about 1/16 to 1/8 a turn. The bottle is still secure but, is just "kissing" the brass ring and the charge bar. I've never had powder leakage, drops powder consistently and, never has come loose. Although I do have the accessory bottle support bracket.

I know these suggestions seem out of place, i.e., no powder baffle and a "slightly loose" powder bottle, but it solved the problems I was having with powder drop and it came from a Tech Rep. Works with both my MEC 9000's (12 & 20)

One other item. This guys sell a good book on the MEC loaders http://www.expertreloader.com/#Secrets
It's kind of pricey for a small paperback book. But, it does have good info.

p.s. Just looked in the book. He also recommend getting rid of the powder baffle and loosening the powder bottle

Revoman
12-01-2009, 9:16 PM
One other item that you might want to check is make sure that there is no partial blockage inside of the drop tube. Once in awhile a chunk of powder sometimes gets in the tube and partially blocks it. (The same thing happens sometimes with the shot, especially on the 410 using 7.5 shot.) This occurs sometimes if the powder has been in a moist environment. Heck, even spiders could build a web inside there and create a partial blockage.

Agreed about the half-full bottle, that helps consistancy and the tightness/looseness of the bottle kissing the bar thing.

If nothing else works, you might also check that the bar slides easily in the track and doesn't bind up causing a short stroke on the bar itself. I usually use dry powder graphite as a lubricant inside the housing. I have had a couple of rough spots on some bars and used the Scotch-Brite pads to clean them up to operate smoother. Even hadda take a file to one to clean up the corners from catching.

And yes, 1/16" could make a differnce in the charge, and yes, make certain that you are not short stroking the handle.

upinflames2400
12-01-2009, 10:01 PM
Waldog and Revoman, thanks alot for the info it all makes perfectly good sense. I am gonna test this stuff tomorrow once im off work and hopefully it will work which it sounds it would. I appreciate all the help. Good shootin and god bless calguns forums.

oso grande
12-05-2009, 12:16 PM
Do you have any suggestions as to what baffle to get or a good website to check out for them?

Try here: http://www.gamaliel.com/cart/product.php?productid=3605

SLO_Ryan
12-05-2009, 5:34 PM
I don't think this has been posted yet, but are you sure you are using the right bushings?

And by this I mean actually measuring the charge being thrown to ensure that it is correct?

Sideline Shooter
12-05-2009, 7:53 PM
Also try here for the baffle, shotgun wads and etc..

http://www.recobstargetshop.com/browse.cfm/4,1374.html