PDA

View Full Version : How do you store your EBR's and Ammo

StraightArch
11-30-2009, 9:11 PM
Interesting Problem. I store my ammo in the basement in the boxes they come in. And keep my rifles in a safe w/ a pack of desiccant. (Live within a mile from the coast) and some of my ammo is starting to show pitting!

Tragic Image
11-30-2009, 9:11 PM
in a safe?

joelogic
11-30-2009, 9:14 PM
In a safe and in a cabinet, respectively.

StraightArch
11-30-2009, 9:15 PM
Still waiting for a cabinet to store the ammo.

POLICESTATE
11-30-2009, 9:16 PM
I keep the bulk of my ammo in a footlocker with desiccant. A lot of it is in sealed plastic packs. For my safe ammo I use desiccant in there, ammo loaded on mags.

One of these days when I have a little spending money (and I don't spend it on ammo :43:) I will invest in some good waterproof ammo cases. That with a little desiccant should be ideal for any climate AFAIK.

John Z
11-30-2009, 9:16 PM
Safe and ammo canister.

Fate
11-30-2009, 9:33 PM
Cardboard packaging will hold moisture. So I'm not surprised you're seeing some problems popping up. You need some old surplus ammo cans (with good seals) and some tiny dessicant packs to put your ammo in.

pontiacpratt
11-30-2009, 9:56 PM
I've got my .223 loose in a milsurp .30 caliber box, and my rifle is in a plastic and foam case.
I live in a desert so corrosion is a non-issue;)

aermotor
12-01-2009, 1:10 AM
AR just in my range bag in a closet, it's pretty dry here in the Foothills. 5.56 Ammo stays packed loose in ammo cans in the basement; I should add some moisture packs to them — .40 cal in original boxes wherever.

wait_one
12-01-2009, 1:27 AM
Arms in a safe with golden rod separated from ammo. Ammo's in 50 cal cans in a lockable stack-on cabinet also w/ golden rod.

Ravenslair
12-01-2009, 2:21 AM
WalMart sells large desiccant packs in their laundry section. I think they are $3 each and absorb a lot of water. I keep a few of those in the safe with a golden rod. Ammo goes in cans with desiccant as well.

Flying_clutchman
12-01-2009, 6:30 AM
I keep my ammo in my safe. It has a 45 min burn rating. I heard from a fireman buddy that if you have ammunition in your house and the house goes ablaze, the fire crew wont enter it or get too close. Keep it in some kinda storage container that has a burn rating.

Mstnpete
12-01-2009, 6:51 AM
I keep my ammo in air tight military ammo cans with desiccant and it's been there for more than 12 years and brass has not tarnished yet.
But if you live by the beach, I would suggest to invest on Vacuum Pack bag sealer. And start vacuum packing. This will protect from anything.

StraightArch
12-01-2009, 7:19 AM
Arms in a safe with golden rod separated from ammo. Ammo's in 50 cal cans in a lockable stack-on cabinet also w/ golden rod.

WalMart sells large desiccant packs in their laundry section. I think they are $3 each and absorb a lot of water. I keep a few of those in the safe with a golden rod. Ammo goes in cans with desiccant as well.

Whats the story with the golden rod? Is it just your back up pimp cane or does it serve a purpose?

jaustin612
12-01-2009, 7:28 AM
I have a bunch of USGI .50 cal cans, they work great. Im more in a desert area than anything.

I really need to get a good safe, some of my rifles are sittin in the open right now

Dollar
12-01-2009, 10:59 AM
should I be worried about keeping my ammo in thier boxes but stored inside ammo cans?

Ravenslair
12-01-2009, 11:29 AM
Whats the story with the golden rod? Is it just your back up pimp cane or does it serve a purpose?

Hell no its not my pimp cane. That thing goes with me wherever I am! The golden rod term has become as generic as Xerox. It is a a low watt heating rod that warms and circulates the air inside your safe. Here is a link (http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=1703/Product/GOLDENROD_DEHUMIDIFIER). Goldenrod is a company that makes them. Many others have followed and made their own version.

Ravenslair
12-01-2009, 11:32 AM
should I be worried about keeping my ammo in thier boxes but stored inside ammo cans?

Not at all. I have ammo in its original packaging that has been stored in ammo cans for many many years with no ill effect.

MasterYong
12-01-2009, 11:45 AM
I keep my ammo in the cheap ammo cans that cabela's sends free with ammo purchases. I don't order all my ammo form them, but when I do (if it's on sale) they include a liberal number of cans (sometimes 3 cans when the ammo could easily have fit in one). I left one in the rain overnight once to see if it was relatively watertight and it appears to be. Obviously not all my ammo will fit in the cans (I only have 6-7 of them) so the rest gets sealed in plastic with a pack of desiccant inside the plastic wrap just in case moisture got trapped inside when I sealed them.

Well, the above was true until I moved to AZ. It's not moist enough here for me to care really. And when I lived in FarNorCal I only used the above methods for ammo I was storing, anything I planned to shoot within 3 months just sits on the shelf. I also make sure to rotate stored ammo. So for stuff I buy in bulk like .223, .308, 9mm and others I package up the new order and unwrap older stuff to shoot that so that the shelf life of my ammo remains as long as possible.

MasterYong
12-01-2009, 11:47 AM
Not at all. I have ammo in its original packaging that has been stored in ammo cans for many many years with no ill effect.

Additionally I've heard that it's highly advisable to keep the original packaging for all ammo if possible, or at least ones with different lot numbers. Sometimes (though presumably not often) ammo manufacturers have defects in their products, and those defects sometimes occur across an entire batch or lot. If you like to store your ammo loose in cans it's recommended that you don't mix and match lots and that you keep at least on box inside the ammo can that has the lot number on it.

I personally prefer to keep the ammo in orig boxes until I shoot it, that way all pertinent info form the manufacturer is preserved.