PDA

View Full Version : Laser etching......

IrishPirate
11-30-2009, 7:46 PM
does anyone know where you can get a design laser etched onto a receiver? want to personalize my lower when i build my AR and thought this would be a cool way of doing it. So, any places out there that do good work???

ColdDeadHands1
11-30-2009, 8:20 PM
I think Anvil Arms in Florida does it for free or for a minimal charge if you buy one of their lowers.

rolex87
11-30-2009, 8:26 PM
I sent mine to Spike's and they did a flag and color fill for me, but it was a kaiser Defense lower, who apparently made their receivers for them. I'm not sure if they will just do all vendors though. The Anvil website shows lots of cool stuff too. I wanted to do a quote in Latin but couldn't decide on one and the flag looks awesome. Everything ran less than 35 dollars shipped.

Cokebottle
11-30-2009, 8:27 PM
There's also electrolytic etching that you can do yourself.

Have your pattern cut on sign vinyl as a "female" (desired pattern open).
You can get this done at any mall for under $20.

Get a "wall wart" from one of your long-lost cell phones.
Cut the connector off and strip the zip-cord back a foot or so.
Put alligator clips on the wires.
Connect one alligator clip to the receiver.
Connect the other one to a Q-Tip soaked in salt water.
Trace your design with the Q-Tip... the pattern will be etched into the receiver surface through electrolysis.

Practice on a piece of scrap to get the technique down.
This is good for larger patterns such as Celtic knotwork or tribal patterns... perhaps not so good for letters/numbers since the fine lines won't translate well from the sign vinyl.

rabagley
11-30-2009, 8:28 PM
Extremely happy with my Anvil Arms etched lower. Send them a black and white vector PDF (not greyscale and not a JPG wrapped in a PDF) with your design and they'll put it on your lower.

I used inkscape (free vector drawing program) to draw my design and everything came out perfect.

pontiacpratt
11-30-2009, 8:58 PM
I've always wanted the "don't tread on me" snake etched on mine.

ColdDeadHands1
11-30-2009, 9:37 PM
Let's see some pics of your laser etched lowers!

Silverfish
12-01-2009, 6:26 AM

I love my Anvil lower... Staff there was super helpful and quick to reply to email.

till44
12-01-2009, 1:02 PM
Anvil has some great lowers and the etching is pretty cool. I picked up 5 last year when the etching was still free. These are old pics, the complete lowers are now complete rifles and the other two guns are running completely different set ups now.

ke6guj
12-01-2009, 1:38 PM
http://www.quentinlaser.com does laser engraving, and they offer CA middleman services as well.

darkest2000
12-01-2009, 2:24 PM
Why not look for a local trophy/engraving shop? Those places typically can do laser/machine engravings, and can probably do it on the spot as well so there's no shipping or waiting involved. It's also pretty cheap, depending on what you're doing.

easy
12-01-2009, 8:21 PM
^ I did this to mine($20.00). Had the family crest done on the right side magwell flat. Instant heirloom gun!

emtnsocali
12-01-2009, 8:25 PM
orion-arms.com..............looks pretty good. have no experience with them yet though

hkdad
12-01-2009, 11:04 PM
http://www.quentinlaser.com does laser engraving, and they offer CA middleman services as well.

+1 for jason @ quentin laser. awesome guys to deal with.

IrishPirate
12-02-2009, 11:27 AM
Had the family crest done on the right side magwell flat. Instant heirloom gun!

man, i thought i knew what i wanted, now i'm sure it's going to be this instead. oh well, guess that means i need to build more AR's!!!