PDA

View Full Version : handgun registration

ebyrd10000
11-30-2009, 8:12 PM
Ok here is the scoop I have a handgun that was given to me from a friend that died 10 years ago....How do I go about putting this gun in my name and not getting in trouble?

tenpercentfirearms
11-30-2009, 8:15 PM
http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/volreg.pdf

ebyrd10000
12-01-2009, 10:51 AM
So I just fill out the form send my $19.00 and I am good to go. I won't be in trouble or have knocks at my door.

tenpercentfirearms
12-01-2009, 10:16 PM
So I just fill out the form send my $19.00 and I am good to go. I won't be in trouble or have knocks at my door.

I didn't say that. What if the guns are stolen? In theory you already broke the law and you are just hoping the DOJ doesn't care about it.

ebyrd10000
12-01-2009, 10:37 PM
CHP ran them the are not stolen..

ebyrd10000
12-02-2009, 7:30 AM
i am just confused i get so many different stories about this like i said I got it 10 years ago I had them in my safe when my best friend died.I want to do the right thing..Like i said my chp buddy ran them and they are fine which was no suprise

paul0660
12-02-2009, 7:46 AM
You don't have to register them. If there was a requirement to register them 10 years ago, the statute of limitations has run out on that "crime". You can do the voluntary reg and a) THEY will know you have them and b) If they get stolen the record will say you own them, not the thief. Other than not having proof of ownership the only downside I know of is that if you are found carrying concealed without a permit, doing so with a registered gun is a misdemeanor, doing so otherwise a felony.

It was a good idea to run the numbers. They are yours to sell or shoot, just follow the laws while transporting them and don't get nervous around cops......you are in the clear.

tenpercentfirearms
12-02-2009, 11:08 PM
You don't have to register them. If there was a requirement to register them 10 years ago, the statute of limitations has run out on that "crime". You can do the voluntary reg and a) THEY will know you have them and b) If they get stolen the record will say you own them, not the thief. Other than not having proof of ownership the only downside I know of is that if you are found carrying concealed without a permit, doing so with a registered gun is a misdemeanor, doing so otherwise a felony.

It was a good idea to run the numbers. They are yours to sell or shoot, just follow the laws while transporting them and don't get nervous around cops......you are in the clear.

Can you quote the penal code that states the statute of limitations is expired on that crime. I would rather read it for myself than take your word for it.