PDA

View Full Version : AR Mag - Modifications back to gun-friendly state spec's.

CK1
11-30-2009, 7:22 PM
My AR build is basically done now except for a red dot and I've started on getting my clips. I'm OK with the whole 10/30 BS, I guess. I mean it's the law right?

Only thing is, I'm going to be moving out of the People's Republic of California back to Virginia possibly as soon as mid next year.

So are there any kits out there or magazines that can be modified back to gun friendly state spec's.?

You know a modification from a 10/30 to a...... Well, just a 30, I guess.

My bother is a cop in VA and told me when I started this build to make sure I got a good quick release button and to just spend the $$$ on the high capacity mag's. I had to explain to him what a bullet button was and when I told him I got a 10/30 he didn't understand and kept arguing and saying "No, it's either a 10 or a 30. Get the 30." When he finally got it he said, "Forget the AR, just buy a sling-shot until you move back".

So am I just gonna be stuck with the CA mags?

wilson_wwsc
11-30-2009, 7:26 PM
clips are bs indeed
i have mags

and, no, your 10/30's are supposed to be permanent

Quiet
11-30-2009, 7:30 PM
The 10/30 magazines are suppose to be permanent in accordance with the law [PC 12020(c)(25)(A)].

IMO... Just get regular 10 round magazines.

Penal Code 12020
(c)(25) As used in this section, "large-capacity magazine" means any ammunition feeding device with the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds, but shall not be construed to include any of the following:
(A) A feeding device that has been permanently altered so that it cannot accommodate more than 10 rounds.
(B) A .22 caliber tube ammunition feeding device.
(C) A tubular magazine that is contained in a lever-action firearm.

run8
11-30-2009, 7:48 PM
Or, buy the 10/30's and when you leave sell them to the folks still stuck in CA.

CK1
11-30-2009, 7:53 PM
Yeah but 10rnd mags don't look cool.

Anyone that says AR building is all about function and not about looks is a F'n liar.

AR is all about looks. The functionality is just the creamy filling.

The 10/30 magazines are suppose to be permanent in accordance with the law [PC 12020(c)(25)(A)].

IMO... Just get regular 10 round magazines.

Penal Code 12020
(c)(25) As used in this section, "large-capacity magazine" means any ammunition feeding device with the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds, but shall not be construed to include any of the following:
(A) A feeding device that has been permanently altered so that it cannot accommodate more than 10 rounds.
(B) A .22 caliber tube ammunition feeding device.
(C) A tubular magazine that is contained in a lever-action firearm.

Vinz
11-30-2009, 8:09 PM
Just buy both. 10/30's and a set of 30 round rebuild kits. Assemble the 30 round rebuild kits when you leave the state and disassemble them when you return. Easy as that.

Use the 10/30's when you are here. They are cheap enough.
http://midwestpx.com/index.php?cPath=27&osCsid=vi4l9h321s9961t2r3pnl2rv27
vinz

vinz

Greg-Dawg
11-30-2009, 8:57 PM
Sell the 10/30 mags here in CA and buy two 30 rounders in VA.

Cokebottle
11-30-2009, 9:05 PM
Assemble the 30 round rebuild kits after you leave the state and disassemble them before you return. Easy as that.
Fixed ;)

SJgunguy24
11-30-2009, 10:31 PM
Pop rivet in a metal slug, when you leave drill out the rivet.

RolinThundr
11-30-2009, 11:56 PM
If you're moving next year anyway just buy a couple of 10 round magazines and buy 30 rounders when you get to VA. No need to spend a bunch of money on 10/30 mags if you're only going to use them for a short time. Keep the 10 rounders and BB just in case you, for any reason, move back to CA.

CK1
12-01-2009, 9:09 AM
"Move back to CA". That's funny.
You must be from the east coast originally, huh?

People from the east coast have a different view of their home state. They'll move away and always long for home and think about moving back, and many times do.

People from CA that move away, usually do it because they're sick of it here and usually don't look back.

I was born and raised here and I plan on taking my rearview mirror out of the car when I drive away. Dig?

Thanks for info.

RolinThundr
12-01-2009, 12:01 PM
In that case, just get a couple of ten rounders for now, buy some 30 or 100 rounders when you get to VA, and sell the slightly used 10 rounders here on Calguns to one of those left behind.

And yes, I am from the East Coast, however, I am not one of those longing for home...I am one of those longing for full-time employment and will move to wherever I can find that- I'm currently looking out of CA, but not in my home state, I want to try someplace different.

MasterYong
12-01-2009, 12:35 PM
There's a sticky at the top of the centerfire rifles forum that is a 30 to 10/30 mod that permanently attaches a long bolt/screw to the follower.

Get some 30 round rebuild kits, and build them to be 10/30s as described above. When you move, replace the follower and WHAMMO- you have full-cap mags again.

YMMV. IANAL.

CK1
12-01-2009, 12:43 PM
Alright, cool.

That's what I was hoping for.

Thanks

MasterYong
12-01-2009, 1:00 PM
Alright, cool.

That's what I was hoping for.

Thanks

If you're reply is in reference to my post please keeping mind that (to the best of my knowledge) the above method is acceptable is that you are permanently modifying the follower. It's important that you use epoxy to prevent the bolt/screw from being removed without tools like a drill or dremel. Make them in such a way that you literally have to BUY new followers to build your homemade 10/30s into 30s because you destroyed the old follower. Do not make the bolt/screw removable in any way with simply hand tools.

(I know the whole bolt/screw thing sounds odd but I don't remember if they used one or the other LOL and I'm too lazy to check for ya.)