PDA

View Full Version : Considering a Mosin

matrix056
11-30-2009, 5:32 PM
So I have been considering buying a Mosin "M39" lately. I know they are dirt cheap, but what price can I expect to pay for something in "Decent" condition. I know that is very vague, but I want something that works good and a stock that is not cracked. I plan to use it as a Range/Zombie rifle. Thoughts please??

professionalcoyotehunter
11-30-2009, 5:34 PM
$150-250 ball park for a nice one. Why do you want one? To hunt or to waste some lead?

matrix056
11-30-2009, 5:38 PM
I have plenty of hunting rifles, I want one to take to the range and shoot for C-H-E-A-P. (Besides .22). I would like to have one around for "just in case". I am also a military rifle enthusiast, without the $$ for an M1 :)

sevensix2x51
11-30-2009, 5:38 PM
well, ive recently gotten into a handful of mosins, and got into some good luck, maybe. they are PW arms imports, russian 91/30s, for $79. they can all generally hit a clay target at 100yd, most of the time. i only had to drift one sight, very slightly at that. they were all in excellent condition, with shiny bores, stocks that look brand new, and the cosmoline already cleaned out of them. "bang for the buck" factor- 10 out of 10. zombies and bowling pins beware!

NapaCountyShooter
11-30-2009, 5:51 PM
I got a big 5 special M44 for $79. There were 5 or 6 for me to choose from, so I got a nice one with a nice action, barrel, a bayonet, and all the accessories. With a good cleaning and some lubrication, it's a great rifle for the range and it's always nice to have a piece of history. I'd wholeheartedly recommend them.

Pthfndr
11-30-2009, 6:47 PM
If you want a good Finn M39 go to http://www.gunsnammo.com/

Theirs are very good. They even have quite a few that have antique receivers to they can ship directly to you even if you do not have a C&R - even here in CA.

The Finn M39 are the most accurate of all the Mosin rifles.

run8
11-30-2009, 6:50 PM
Yes, this guy is good, I bought 15 Finn's and Russians in one shot from him, also a Polish M44 too.

If you want a good Finn M39 go to http://www.gunsnammo.com/

Theirs are very good. They even have quite a few that have antique receivers to they can ship directly to you even if you do not have a C&R - even here in CA.

The Finn M39 are the most accurate of all the Mosin rifles.

aermotor
12-01-2009, 12:20 AM
Be ready to clean it TO DEATH if you expect to hit much. At least that's my experience with a few of them...

railroader
12-01-2009, 1:59 AM
Alot of the cheap surplus ammo for mosins is steel core or at least magnetic. . I don't know where you shoot but alot of ranges frown on steel core or magnetic ammo. I just thought I should mention that. Mark

aermotor
12-01-2009, 11:41 AM
Just buy a ton of the Yugoslavian ammo which is range safe, it's still super cheap as well.

gun toting monkeyboy
12-01-2009, 2:40 PM
The M39 Finns are probably the best shooting Mosins you will find. Maybe a close second behind some of the rarer Finnish models, but that comes down to splitting hairs. The stocks are also normally a beautiful arctic birch. Of all my Mosins, my M39 is the best shooting and best looking. I wouldn't hesitate to take it hunting for deer, elk, bear or boar out to 200-250 yards. And that limit is simply there because my eyes ain't what they used to be. If you are going to get one Mosin, the M39 is the one to have.

-Mb

reidnez
12-01-2009, 2:50 PM
Buy one--or several, you won't regret it. There were only a finite number made and, like every other milsurp, they will not always be this cheap. Remember that a few years ago, SKS's in good shape could be had for $60. While still relatively reasonable, they have still gone up several times in price in a fairly short period. Mosins will eventually do the same thing--so they are truly an investment as well as functional, utilitarian firearms. And they're about the only milsurp that someone with limited funds can assemble a respectable collection of. I will never have a dozen M1 Garands, but I could easily afford to buy a Mosin every month if I so desired.

I would recommend a rifle over a carbine, the short ones are a bear to shoot. :eek:

reidnez
12-01-2009, 3:01 PM
Yes, this guy is good, I bought 15 Finn's and Russians in one shot from him, also a Polish M44 too.

Hopefully he doesn't get snatched up for dealing without an FFL...his ***, not mine. He does have some nice rifles, though.

NaughtyMonkey
12-01-2009, 3:07 PM
I got a Russian Mosin-Nagant, M91, all original parts and they match and scope, the scope even has the Russian Symbols. Orginal sling and leather scope cover. Only thing missing is the bayonet. Got it for $200 at a gun show about a year ago, after ALOT of cleaning, it shot very well. Very accurate, had to adjust the scope a bit though.

gun toting monkeyboy
12-01-2009, 3:33 PM
I got a Russian Mosin-Nagant, m44, all original parts and they match and scope, the scope even has the Russian Symbols. Orginal sling and leather scope cover. Only thing missing is the bayonet. Got it for $200 at a gun show about a year ago, after ALOT of cleaning, it shot very well. Very accurate, had to adjust the scope a bit though.

Ummm... If it has a scope on it, it isn't all original parts. They didn't put scopes on the M44s. As for the scope having Russian symbols, for the price you paid, it is a knock-off. Not an original scope. Sorry. If it shoots well, then for the price it isn't too bad. But it is just your garden variety Bubbatized Mosin.

-Mb (who hates to be the bearer of bad news)

NaughtyMonkey
12-01-2009, 3:47 PM
Ummm... If it has a scope on it, it isn't all original parts. They didn't put scopes on the M44s. As for the scope having Russian symbols, for the price you paid, it is a knock-off. Not an original scope. Sorry. If it shoots well, then for the price it isn't too bad. But it is just your garden variety Bubbatized Mosin.

-Mb (who hates to be the bearer of bad news)

I had a blond moment, I ment is a mosin M91. haha. ooops. And technically speaking, I never bought it.

matrix056
12-01-2009, 4:17 PM
Thanks for the input, now the search for a decent priced M39 begins!

NaughtyMonkey
12-01-2009, 4:20 PM
If you don't mind buying online, Check Gunsamerica, or maybe gun broker.

Big 5 may have them, they have other Mosin rifles, not sure if they have M39 though.

Check for guns shows in your area.

Well good luck :)

IrishPirate
12-01-2009, 4:24 PM
check the big 5's in your area and you can get one for about $150 after tax/dros. They'll let you look at what they have in stock too and decide which one you want. These aren't as big of sellers at big 5 as the 91/30's are because of the price so they usually have a good stock of them.

dirtnap
12-01-2009, 4:28 PM
J&G sales has a good amount of nagants, starting at 79.99. I know, I just stopped myself from buying one about 20 minutes ago. I had the CC info in and everything, but I dont need another gun right now...

http://www.jgsales.com/index.php/c/c-r-guns/cPath/290?osCsid=2a1fb78ce1541288bbd85ea4c926593d

someR1
12-01-2009, 9:22 PM
i like the big 5 selection and you can look at them all before you purchase. I got my 1929 m91 for 130 tax out the door. shoots AMAZING!

gun toting monkeyboy
12-02-2009, 9:29 AM
I had a blond moment, I ment is a mosin M91. haha. ooops. And technically speaking, I never bought it.

Ah. Been there, done that. We all have those brain farts once in a while. $200 for one of the repro snipers built on a 91 or 91/30 is actually a heck of a deal. They normally go for $350-500, depending on the dealer and condition. Damn, I just went from feeling sorry for you getting ripped off to being jealous at the deal you got.

-Mb

NaughtyMonkey
12-02-2009, 12:24 PM
Ah. Been there, done that. We all have those brain farts once in a while. $200 for one of the repro snipers built on a 91 or 91/30 is actually a heck of a deal. They normally go for $350-500, depending on the dealer and condition. Damn, I just went from feeling sorry for you getting ripped off to being jealous at the deal you got.

-Mb

lmaorofl. Thats got to be a first. I do that alot in forums, I was reading about the M44 and just had that stuck in my head lol.

stix213
12-02-2009, 12:33 PM
Big 5 just had a sale on those for under $100 at the one near where I live just a few weeks ago. The one I saw looked in good condition. I picked up a M91/30 just a couple months ago, receiver marked with Izhmash symbol and dated 1941, and its in excellent condition for only $99. Fun gun, hits the shoulder like my Mossy 500.

NaughtyMonkey
12-02-2009, 12:51 PM
I just left Big 5 a couple hours ago and they still have Mosins for really cheap. I think it was $149 for an M91 and a little more for an M44. I have CRS big time so don't hold it against me if I'm mistaken.

stagman
12-02-2009, 12:57 PM
I bought an M44 a few years ago for a safe filler. Threw on a monte carlo stock, and have shot the heck out of it since. It's accurate, and cheap to shoot, but dang, it kicks like a mule!

Noonanda
12-02-2009, 1:21 PM
check the big 5's in your area and you can get one for about $150 after tax/dros. They'll let you look at what they have in stock too and decide which one you want. These aren't as big of sellers at big 5 as the 91/30's are because of the price so they usually have a good stock of them.

If you know of a Big 5 that is carrying M-39s for 150 tell me where it is cause Im gonna buy every single one. Are you sure you dont mean a M-38?

You all are killing me mixing up the different types of Mosins, here is a quick class. ( I am a Mosin Nagant nut, I own around 8 of the different variations)

Tons of Mosin info can be found here at these two sites
http://7.62x54r.net/
http://mosinnagant.net/

M-91: The Original Mosin nagant, has a 31 1/2 inch barrel, 51 1/2 overall Length, made by Russia, France, USA, rebuild by the Finns
http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinM91R.htm

M-91/30: An updated version, 28 3/4 inch barrel, 48 1/2 inch overall length, This was also the rifle used with a scope by the snipers, either a PE, PEM or PU scope. The Basic M-91/30's is what big 5 currently sells.
http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinM9130S.htm

M-38: Carbine version, 20 inch barrel. Also sold by big 5, somewhat harder to find lately
http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinM38.htm

M-44: Carbine version with a permanently attached side folding bayonet, Also sold by big 5
http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinM44S.htm

M-39: A Finnish rework of the Mosin, argueably one of the best and most accurate versions of the Mosin Nagant, Not currently sold at big 5 ( I wish).
http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinM39.htm

RawImpact
01-09-2010, 8:18 PM
m91/30, wont hit as hard and awesome shooter.

There are three main things you need to do once you purchase one. Check headspace, adjust firing pin, and remove cosm. and then you're good to go.

I just got done watching a mosin clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0wN9bYTKc8

reidnez
01-09-2010, 8:33 PM
m91/30, wont hit as hard and awesome shooter.

There are three main things you need to do once you purchase one. Check headspace, adjust firing pin, and remove cosm. and then you're good to go.

I just got done watching a mosin clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0wN9bYTKc8

This is good advice. My first Mosin was an M38, and while the carbines still have coolness factor and cheap factor, they are just plain unpleasant to shoot. 7.62x54 is a pretty hot round to be shooting out of a bolt-action, ~7lb. carbine with a 20" barrel and an exceptionally narrow, steel butt plate. I can shoot my Mauser 98K all day, but about 30 rounds from the Mosin and I'm done. The rifles are a lot nicer to shoot than the carbines!

The firing pin adjustment and cosmo removal you can easily do yourself, there are plenty of instructions on the net. The headspacing will have to be done by a gunsmith unless you want to buy the gauges. Any gunsmith will do it for a minimal fee, or charge nothing.

RawImpact
01-10-2010, 12:14 AM
I forgot to mention, if you're looking for the m91/30, big5's have them. Talk to the manager to get you the sale price... i'm sure they will do it (good price would be 100-150). If you realize the person you're buying the gun from is knowledgeable, ask him to get you one from the back with a hex receiver dated before the war. They will usually be in better condition.

Give it a good look, check the end to see if it has been counterbore'd. If so, back away and try another day. I know this is a lot to ask, but a cheap gun can cost you more in the long run if you don't take your time. I spend a good 45 minutes when i buy mosins because there are a lot of variables.

Also, invest in so go and nogo gauges... you can take them with you and check it yourself before purchasing the rifle. When you pull the bolt back, make sure the gauge ejects itself.

PM me if you need any more help with the mosins.

KevinXT
01-10-2010, 8:55 AM
okie headspace guages.. http://www.okiegauges.com/ are the way to go.. you dont have to remove the extractor to use them. Really all you HAVE to have is the field guage. (since everyone uses the russian / surplus ammo anyways) if the bolt closes on a round thats ur "go" guage. (do this after you have checked firing pin protrusion and at the range with the rifle pointed down range of course)

my m91/30 is a good shooter... it look alot of work to get all the cosmo un caked. i also re finished the stock and it looks great now! for 99 bucks u get a gun that shoots and a piece of history...

Lucky Scott
01-10-2010, 9:26 AM
Only bad thing about My Mosins are that if I shoot it first, my .22 rifle feels like a pellet gun.
I make sure to shoot the .22 first, then the Mosin from now on.

cryoguy
01-10-2010, 11:43 AM
I just sold my M38 for 100.00 a few weeks ago... Too bad it was in really good condition. I just needed the money asap...

RawImpact
01-10-2010, 1:29 PM
okie headspace guages.. http://www.okiegauges.com/ are the way to go.. you dont have to remove the extractor to use them. Really all you HAVE to have is the field guage. (since everyone uses the russian / surplus ammo anyways) if the bolt closes on a round thats ur "go" guage. (do this after you have checked firing pin protrusion and at the range with the rifle pointed down range of course)

my m91/30 is a good shooter... it look alot of work to get all the cosmo un caked. i also re finished the stock and it looks great now! for 99 bucks u get a gun that shoots and a piece of history...

do you have any pictures?