PDA

View Full Version : Primary Weapons Systems(PWS) compensators

larryh
11-30-2009, 12:50 PM
Looking for feedback on these muzzel devices.
Thinking of application for featureless build/mod
of the Century HK clones that Henderson Defence
is shipping for the Calguns group buy and possibly other
rifles as well. They are more expensive than the
average brake at $100+ and I thought I would
inquire if anyone has used one.

technique
11-30-2009, 12:55 PM
Yup. The PWSs are very effective.

OutlawDon
11-30-2009, 1:00 PM
I've had it and it's pretty good doing double duty as a brake and flash hider.

Here's another review from someone else...

http://www.ontarget-blog.com/on-target-blog/2008/6/30/primary-weapons-fsc556-muzzle-brake.html

"While I was testing the Enidine Hydraulic Buffer the other day, I was also testing some muzzle brakes. One of the ones I tested was the Primary Weapons FSC556. It is a unique design that both reduces recoil and also reduces flash. Besides that, it looks pretty cool too. I shot my AR with a Vortex Flash Suppressor for comparison and switched back and forth with the PWS muzzle brake to see how much difference it made in recoil and muzzle rise. It was a very noticeable difference. Even though the 5.56mm AR doesn’t kick a lot to start with, I noticed both less rearward recoil and less muzzle jump. When shooting with an EO Tech red dot sight at 50 yards without the muzzle brake and with a fairly loose hold, the dot would jump well above the target and would bounce a little off to one side after each shot. While the gun didn’t feel like it jumped a lot, the dot did move several feet above and left of the point of aim from recoil. When I put on the FSC556, the recoil was very noticeably less and the dot jumped half as much as it did without the brake. It would only jump about a foot or so above the point of aim and seemed to settle back on target very fast. There was certainly less bouncing around. If I was to try to put a number on it, I would say that the muzzle brake cut the recoil and muzzle rise by 50%, but it could have been even more than that. The best results were achieved when the muzzle brake was used in combination with an Enidine Buffer. This resulted in an extremely soft shooting gun. With both in place, the rifle seems like it hardly moves and feels like you are shooting a .22 except for the blast from the muzzle. Yes, since it is a muzzle brake, you do get more blast coming back from the muzzle. That is what makes it work. But you also get used to it. You notice it for the first 10 or 20 rounds and then you start to not notice it as much after that. It seems like a good trade off to me for practically no recoil and minimal muzzle rise. "

mds2004
11-30-2009, 2:04 PM
If you think a normal AR has no recoil, try one with this compensator. I love mine and will put them on the rest of my builds.

Just youtube for videos.

chuck762
11-30-2009, 2:14 PM
I like the PWS. I have one on my an AR and also mounted a .308 version on my bolt gun build. Loud but effective.

THT
11-30-2009, 2:17 PM
I like the PWS FSC series compensators alot. They're very effective and won't break the bank like a Triple Tap.

jeffyboy
11-30-2009, 4:18 PM
+1 for the FSC series

EBR Works
11-30-2009, 4:30 PM
Looking for feedback on these muzzel devices.
Thinking of application for featureless build/mod
of the Century HK clones that Henderson Defence
is shipping for the Calguns group buy and possibly other
rifles as well. They are more expensive than the
average brake at $100+ and I thought I would
inquire if anyone has used one.

Be careful, some of their muzzle devices are considered flash supressors by Cali law even though they have a letter from the Feds stating that it isn't a flash supressor. I was going to use one of their FSC units on a featureless build and was made aware of this unfortunate fact by my CalGuns brothers.

larryh
12-01-2009, 12:56 AM
Thanks for the input.
Interesting the reference that CA would consider this device a FH
when BATF has defined these as not.
Do you have any way of providing me the specifics?
Perhaps a DA has decided that in his county these are
an evil feature?
I will check with my FFL.
Don't really want to tempt undo prejudice from TPTB.
Sound like those who replied are happy with the
reduced recoil if not the flash reduction properties.
If the compensator is effective enough to negate significantly
the blowback and tendency to ride up thereby resulting in
faster aquisition of target then these may be worth getting.
I wonder if there is enough interest in trying the device
to warrant looking into commissioning several dozen of these
at reduced cost. Cost of material, machining and finish
cannot be marginally much more than any $50 device.
Maybe we can test the DA's in all 52 counties to see
just what this piece of metal that is attached
to the end of my barrel really is?

esskay
12-01-2009, 2:28 AM
To be safe, PWS has versions without the tines on the end (called the DNTC and TTO, I believe) and you can go with one of those.

EBR Works
12-01-2009, 7:01 AM
Maybe we can test the DA's in all 52 counties to see
just what this piece of metal that is attached
to the end of my barrel really is?

Hmm, you go first. We'll watch. ;)

Some previous discussion here:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=145523

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=140272

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=217222

jchen76@gmail.com
12-01-2009, 7:49 AM
I went ahead and ordered one of these muzzle brakes. Cheaper than PWS. Buying it to go for featureless build.

http://www.investmentgradefirearms.com/igfproducts.htm

Will let you know in a few weeks once my C93 comes in and go to the range.

lawaia
12-01-2009, 7:50 AM
FSC = Flash Supressing Compensator

Basically, if it is sold as having flash supressing capabilities, it is a no-no on a featureless rifle.

MasterYong
12-01-2009, 8:28 AM
So after reading this thread am I understanding correctly that the DNTC version from PWS is G2G on featureless rifles in CA?

http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=666

Like this one? I'd been thinking about getting one, and the price is right. We've only established in this thread that the FSC is a no-go, but the DNTC is still good, yes?

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

lawaia
12-01-2009, 10:34 AM
The DNTC is not advertisied as having any flash suppression capability. You should be GTG. I have the TTO on my featureless build.

Ravenslair
12-01-2009, 10:36 AM
The PWS FSC series are great. No complaints.

gemini1
12-01-2009, 2:42 PM
+100 on PWS! I'm a small shooter and I can tell you, theres a big change in handling the rifle. But I would think twice using it on a featureless.