PDA

View Full Version : Can a C&R FFL mail handguns via USPS?

gobabygo
11-08-2005, 7:53 AM
Can someone who holds an 03 Federal Firearms License mail handguns via USPS (to an 01 FFL of course)?

Per the USPS website:
Handguns may be mailed by a licensed manufacturer or dealer of firearms or an authorized agent of federal government.

From the ATF website:
(F14) Who may ship firearms through the U. S. Postal Service?

Federal firearm licensees may deposit an unloaded firearm in the mails for conveyance to any officer, employee, agent, or watchman who is eligible under 18 U. S. C. 1715 to receive pistols, revolvers, and other firearms capable of being concealed on the person for use in connection with his or her official duties.

However, any person proposing to mail a handgun must file with the postmaster, at the time of mailing, an affidavit signed by the addressee stating that the addressee is qualified to receive the firearm, and the affidavit must bear a certificate stating that the firearm is for the official use of the addressee. See the current Postal Manual for details. The Postal Service recommends that all firearms be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms.

USPS Form 1058 which I believe is the affidavit referred to above:
The undersigned is a manufacturer of firearms or bona fide dealer therein, and the parcels presented for mailing herewith are customary trade shipments or other articles for repair or replacement of parts. To the best of my knowledge and belief, the addresses are manufacturers of firearms or bona fide dealers therein.

I think it looks pretty good. What do you think?

-hanko
11-08-2005, 8:59 AM
Can someone who holds an 03 Federal Firearms License mail handguns via USPS (to an 01 FFL of course)?

Per the USPS website:
Handguns may be mailed by a licensed manufacturer or dealer of firearms or an authorized agent of federal government.

I think it looks pretty good. What do you think?
:rolleyes:

No, you need to be a -01 ffl.

An 03 licensee is specifically NOT A DEALER.

I think it's illegal (though long guns through the mail are not a problem).

-hanko

EOD Guy
11-08-2005, 9:26 AM
The postal regulations specifically state between dealers and/or manufacturers. A holder of a C&R FFL is neither.