PDA

View Full Version : so who bit?

detcord
11-30-2009, 7:02 AM
how many of yall picked up a $600 garand from big 5? im curious if anyone actually got a good one, we all expect tons of pics when your wait is up, but for now i think were all interested in any decent condition ones that mighta showed up.

Bug Splat
11-30-2009, 7:06 AM
WOW I didn't even know they were selling Garands. If Christmas wasn't around the corner I'd pick one up :(

Dangerpin
11-30-2009, 7:37 AM
The ones they had at the Arden and Watt location in Sacramento looked unsafe to fire, frankly. The metal was dark and pitted, the wood looked like it had been buried in the forest for a few years. I'm not anything approaching an armorer so take this with as many grains of salt as you please but I have no idea how they can sell these as firearms.

However, I've heard of people who have gotten good ones from Big5 in the past.

Mason McDuffie
11-30-2009, 7:40 AM
The one down the street from my house looked absolutely horrible. I have never seen a firearm in such condition in all my life. I didn't even want to hold it honestly. Very depressing.

MasterYong
11-30-2009, 8:13 AM
The ones they had at the Arden and Watt location in Sacramento looked unsafe to fire, frankly. The metal was dark and pitted, the wood looked like it had been buried in the forest for a few years. I'm not anything approaching an armorer so take this with as many grains of salt as you please but I have no idea how they can sell these as firearms.

However, I've heard of people who have gotten good ones from Big5 in the past.

I've seen them sell Mosins that were listed as "collectors quality" (or something of that nature) and when I asked what that meant they said it meant that they aren't really meant to be fired LOL...

Ian
11-30-2009, 8:18 AM
I've seen them sell Mosins that were listed as "collectors quality" (or something of that nature) and when I asked what that meant they said it meant that they aren't really meant to be fired LOL...

oh man I nearly spat out of cereal when I read that.

mls343
11-30-2009, 8:39 AM
Not to be off topic, but every Big 5 Garand I checked out looked like it had been theough WWII and all the other 20th Century conflics as well. Most I saw were from the Philipines and Korea. Beat for sure.

The only real way is to go CMP. I'm taking the plunge this week and ordering 2 service grades. Can't go wrong with CMP.

MasterYong
11-30-2009, 8:42 AM
oh man I nearly spat out of cereal when I read that.

Yeah my followup question was "so then there's no 10-day wait?"

...clerk was not amused.

Super Spy
11-30-2009, 8:50 AM
Big 5 near me sold out of Garands fast.