PDA

View Full Version : Mossberg 590 Serial Number Location?

eltee
11-29-2009, 10:16 PM
I'm working on a Mossberg 590 pump shotgun. I cannot find the serial number, but there is an extra round holder / sidesaddle on the left side of the receiver. Murphy's Law? Is the serial number under there?

Mssr. Eleganté
11-29-2009, 10:35 PM
Here's a pic from the interwebs...

http://www.neospeed.org/images/mberg590a1lftside.jpg

Looks like the lower rear left side.

eltee
11-30-2009, 11:32 AM
THANKS, that is exactly the area covered by the extra rounds carrier. :rolleyes:

California question: Would a civilian be in violation of anything by having a carrier covering the numbers like that? As a cop, it would not bother me (depending on circumstances) but for the legal nitpickers out there, does a civilian risk a hassle by an overzealous type?

for2nato
11-30-2009, 3:08 PM
i would think as long as itsw accessible then it would not be a problem. but if say that round carrier is some how semi permanent or requires tools to see behind it then yes that could be seen as an attempt to hide the id numbers of a firearm.

eltee
11-30-2009, 5:12 PM
It requires an Allen wrench to remove the bolt that holds it on.

bohoki
11-30-2009, 6:10 PM
its no different than having aftermarket grips that cover your revolvers butt serial

it is removable so it is not obliterating the serial

for2nato
12-01-2009, 4:31 PM
its no different than having aftermarket grips that cover your revolvers butt serial

it is removable so it is not obliterating the serial

i agree. but i wouldnt want to risk the ignorance of my local pd to know that to keep me out of jail for the night.

kemasa
12-02-2009, 10:33 AM
Well, you then should stay away from any firearms and everything else for that matter.

Many years ago I heard of a woman who was charged with having an illegal a-salt weapon. She had been fighting it for over a year when I heard about it. In this case it was a perfectly legal SKS, but law enforcement did not want to back down as they could be charged with an illegal arrest, so they wanted her to plead guilty on a lessor charge.

In another case, a HAM radio operator was harassed by a local police officer who claimed that he had to have a copy of his license when operating his radio (which is false and is not his jurisdiction either), but in this case he was just listening.